Day 20...considering calling it

My goals for my W30 were to eat - and enjoy eating - more vegetables and to stop mindlessly snacking. I have met both of those goals, and I feel really good. I want to continue eating this way going forward.

Here's my conundrum: my dear friend just broke up with her boyfriend and is coming over tonight for some girl time. This is a situation that calls for talk and tears over a glass of wine or a beer. I know I would have to start my W30 over should I indulge. My question is, is it worth it? Would others pack it in in this instance? I know I've been warned about feeling like 20 or so days is "good enough."

Thoughts?

• Moderators

I don't think you should indulge. You made a commitment to yourself to do 30 days and you're 2/3 of the way there. Your friend can drink wine and you can still commiserate and cry and be a good friend to her without drinking... If what she wanted was bagels and cream cheese would you call it quits to eat that? I sort of doubt it... I know it's a girlfriend thing to cry over wine and commiserate but you can do all of that without the booze. It's a sign of how much you respect yourself and the commitments you've made to yourself to keep going. There is really never 30 days where there isn't 'something' that happens that could be rationalized to be 'worth' quitting over but 99% of the time, you just feel guilty the next day and wish that you would have stuck to it.

Thanks for the advice! I took it and didn't quit my W30. It was hard since she had brought my favorite IPA with her! But, we made another date for 2 weeks from now when we can enjoy an adult beverage together.

Side note: she hadn't eaten well for the past few days, so I filled her up with a delicious W30 compliant meal: poached salmon, garlic roasted potatoes, raw veggies and guac, and watermelon. Yum!

Archived