Starting July 4 - Declaring Independence from the Sugar demons

hmg1993

Congrats to everyone who has completed day 2!!! So far so good for me. I think the whole key to success is planning ahead, knowing what your meals will be at least 2-3 days in advance, removing temptations and having healthy food available at all times! My HUGE accomplishment for today was making homemade mayonnaise for the first time! My tuna salad on romaine leaves for lunch was delish!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to everyone who has completed day 2!!! So far so good for me. I think the whole key to success is planning ahead, knowing what your meals will be at least 2-3 days in advance, removing temptations and having healthy food available at all times! My HUGE accomplishment for today was making homemade mayonnaise for the first time! My tuna salad on romaine leaves for lunch was delish!!

Planning ahead is huge. For me it's the key to success.  Just fed the family Nom Nom Paleo's mexican braised beef.  A huge hit!   They had rice and I had cauliflower rice.

I started my first W30 yesterday too! I had an awful caffeine withdrawal migraine ALL day. Today is much better. Is anyone else just plain hungry?  Egads I'm starving. Water consumption yesterday was right at 100 oz. So glad I found this group!

Headaches in the first day are normal.  Hang  in there and keep chugging the water!!

Day three. I made omelettes again. going to have to get more creative.

I am already beginning to feel better. My body cannot handle sugar. removing it from my food is a win/win. If I do nothing else this will be a good thing. 

Day three. I made omelettes again. going to have to get more creative.

I am already beginning to feel better. My body cannot handle sugar. removing it from my food is a win/win. If I do nothing else this will be a good thing. 

Check out the recipes on sites like Nom Nom paleo or elena's pantry.  So may great ideas.  And the Well Fed books are fab.  Just had pesto chicken meatballs and zucchini noodles for dinner and they were divine

I started my first W30 yesterday too! I had an awful caffeine withdrawal migraine ALL day. Today is much better. Is anyone else just plain hungry?  Egads I'm starving. Water consumption yesterday was right at 100 oz. So glad I found this group!

Hi Donna. You're not alone. Totally starving too, for no apparent reason. Had a good portion of steak tonight (~8 oz)... Good luck!

Any body still here? I am day seven and hanging in there. Had quite a challenge yesterday with a family party. the table was filled with non whole 30 stuff and not much else. Forutnately I found some shrimp and there was chicken later on. I had some fruit when the birthday cake was served and to be completely honest I did feel deprived. But the feeling passed and I'm ok today. 

It has been a crazy week. My daughter left her home and came back to saty here and it was unexpected and painful so it has been stressful, but I am clinging to the vine here. I also got a much hoped for interview and I am really nervous. So Wish me luck I hope you are doing well and if you are not that is ok just start again! 

Hi Martha! I'm finishing up day seven, also. So far so good! Glad to hear you made it through the family dinner! It's very difficult anytime we eat away from home, I think. Maybe next time you could bring a dish...so you can be sure there is something for you! :). Good luck on your interview and congrats on the completion of your first week!!!

Go Martha B you can do it!  I'm sorry your week sounds stressful but your strength is shining through.  For what it's worth, I really steer clear of fruit.  I realized it was giving me the same reaction as sugar and would reinstate those cravings.  Good luck with the interview!  Day 7 looming for me and I feel good although anxious to change things up with some new recipes so I don't get bored.  Let's nail this next week!

Thanks guys. So far so good.It seems like when I decalre calmness the world gets chaotic. this week daughter # 2 moved home from an unhappy situation, a friend called and reminded me that we had plans for her to come stay with me for a couple of days!! AND I have an interview tomorrow. nerves much? but I am hangin in there. My daughter is here with the two boys and we are having a nice day. I should be doing reading for this interview but I do what I can. 

Steak for dinner and a baked potato and brocolli with ghee. I can live with that. 

Thanks Hmg1993. I did not get the postition. Thats the way the mop flops. 

We are on day 11 here though and although I do want to go make paleo treats I will refrain unitl day 31. and maybe by then I will be over it:)

Thanks Hmg1993. I did not get the postition. Thats the way the mop flops. 

We are on day 11 here though and although I do want to go make paleo treats I will refrain unitl day 31. and maybe by then I will be over it:)

Paleo treats so not worth it.  Once the tiger blood starts flowing you won't want any!  Do you follow the whole 30 recipe page on instragram?  there are tons of great food ideas.  Sorry about the interview.  Their loss.

How is everybody doing?  Day 17 for me and starting to get into the groove.  Found lots of new recipes to keep things interested and noticing a HUGE difference from not eating fruit, which I overdid in my first W30.  Definitely puts the sugar demons back in their box.

Hi!  Day 17 for me, as well!  And I'm feeling AWESOME!  Fruit hasn't been causing a problem for me as far as cravings go, but I'm sure it's probably upping my calories.  Since this isn't supposed to be about weight, I'm not tracking calories or focusing on weight, but instead I'm trying to pay attention to how my body feels...and I definitely notice a difference!  This may sound weird, but...one day...somewhere around day 12...I actually felt simply "more alive".  My skin even felt different...sort of tingly.  That's probably not an accurate description, but I can't really come up with the correct words to describe it.  I think my body was "singing"!  I do need to branch out on my food choices, though, and try some new recipes.  That's been the biggest challenge for me so far, but I'm seriously thinking about extending into a Whole 60!   :D

Great to hear szqnva!  So glad it's going well and totally here you on feeling more alive!  As for recipes I highly recommend following the W30 recipes on instagram for great ideas.  I also love nom nom paleo.  I am totally up for W60!!!

Hello from Day 22.  How is everyone doing?  All good here although have very stressful week ahead so need to keep eyes on the prize and get enough sleep.  The three things that seem to really make this easier for me are 1) Planning and prep cooking on the weekends -- I always have W30 options on hand; 2) Mixing up the recipes and trying new things so I don't get bored or feel deprived.  I follow the W30 recipes instagram feed, which is amazing.  They had a shrimp salad last week that was so good and so easy; 3) Really minimize fruit and nuts.  Sugar is a big addiction and "trigger" for me and alas my body doesn't yet know how to discern between chocolate and grapes.  So I steer clear for now.  And nuts I have no willpower so could easily eat an entire bag.  I do use for sprinkling on salads.  Not claiming victory yet and need to keep honing and focused but wanted to share in the event these three tips are helpful.

It's day 22 for me as well.  It has been surprisingly smooth so far.  I have often said that I don't have a sweet tooth...I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.  But I haven't been craving sugar like I thought I would.  I have an organic fig after lunch and after dinner to satisfy my "dessert" desires.  I have actually found baking and decorating cakes (a lot of birthdays this month) has been therapeutic in my quest to slay the sugar monkey on my back.  I actually get just as much satisfaction providing the sweets as I did eating them...maybe even more.  I deliver them with the disclaimer that I can't taste test so I must be forgiven if they suck!  

I have found today particularly challenging with the carb desires...I kept thinking about how it's been 22 days without oatmeal and I would get sad.  Weird...I didn't know I was so attached to oatmeal.  Anyone else discovering things like that?

It's day 22 for me as well.  It has been surprisingly smooth so far.  I have often said that I don't have a sweet tooth...I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.  But I haven't been craving sugar like I thought I would.  I have an organic fig after lunch and after dinner to satisfy my "dessert" desires.  I have actually found baking and decorating cakes (a lot of birthdays this month) has been therapeutic in my quest to slay the sugar monkey on my back.  I actually get just as much satisfaction providing the sweets as I did eating them...maybe even more.  I deliver them with the disclaimer that I can't taste test so I must be forgiven if they suck!  

I have found today particularly challenging with the carb desires...I kept thinking about how it's been 22 days without oatmeal and I would get sad.  Weird...I didn't know I was so attached to oatmeal.  Anyone else discovering things like that?

Not so much on oatmeal, which normally I love, but definitely with things like brown rice.  When a carb craving hits I make sure I have a serving of sweet potatoes on my menu plan.  I love the white fleshed ones as they're denser and not as sweet which is good for my sweet teeth!  Way to go on the cakes.  I don't think I would have the will power to pull that off!!

• Administrators

I have often said that I don't have a sweet tooth...I have a mouth full of sweet teeth.  But I haven't been craving sugar like I thought I would.  I have an organic fig after lunch and after dinner to satisfy my "dessert" desires.  

Hi Tracetown, if you are wanting to destroy a sugar dragon and turn your sweet teeth into regular teeth, having that fig after your meals is the wrong direction, sorry.  The sugar craving issues are as much psychological as they are physiological and breaking that habit of wrapping up a meal with a sweet thing (even a fruit based one) is really critical to making change.  If you continue to wrap up your meals with the sweetest thing you can find (figs, dates etc), when you are no longer on Whole30 you will still have the habit of sweets after meals and the slope to chocolate, candy, cookies etc is pretty slippery.  If you can put the brakes on that now and develop different habits, you will be in a better position to actually slay that dragon.

I know that the idea of "dessert" is counter productive to the whole30 principle.  It's just that over the last 23 days I have learned that I don't crave starch with my meals.  I also find that what most whole30-ers eat to get their "sweet fix" (i.e. sweet potatoes, squash or things "sweetened" with dates or date paste) are just not palatable for me.  Every few days I do indulge in a barely ripe banana or some watermelon (it is Summer, after all!) but I haven't really needed the fruit to ad sweetness to my days.  I can't explain my "need" for dessert.  And while I kind of beat myself up for it, I'm not too hard on myself because it's an issue I plan to tackle in my next 30 days.

Does that make me an undedicated whole30-er?

I know that the idea of "dessert" is counter productive to the whole30 principle.  It's just that over the last 23 days I have learned that I don't crave starch with my meals.  I also find that what most whole30-ers eat to get their "sweet fix" (i.e. sweet potatoes, squash or things "sweetened" with dates or date paste) are just not palatable for me.  Every few days I do indulge in a barely ripe banana or some watermelon (it is Summer, after all!) but I haven't really needed the fruit to ad sweetness to my days.  I can't explain my "need" for dessert.  And while I kind of beat myself up for it, I'm not too hard on myself because it's an issue I plan to tackle in my next 30 days.

Does that make me an undedicated whole30-er?

I am no expert but I think you define your W30 as you know yourself best.  For me, this second go around I made a conscious habit to drop the after dinner fruit because it was exactly as ladyshanny described.  A slippery slope that did not address my sugar issues.  Fruit is definitely a trigger and a sugar substitute for me but it  may not be for you and only you know that.  Congrats on Day 23 and beyond !!!!

I am no expert but I think you define your W30 as you know yourself best.  For me, this second go around I made a conscious habit to drop the after dinner fruit because it was exactly as ladyshanny described.  A slippery slope that did not address my sugar issues.  Fruit is definitely a trigger and a sugar substitute for me but it  may not be for you and only you know that.  Congrats on Day 23 and beyond !!!!

Thank you hmg1993.  I was actually feeling kind of glum and down on myself after ladyshanny's post.  

I only posted to share a little of my experience and, hopefully, encourage someone else to keep going since the other three people I started with lasted 2 days, 5 days, and 9 days.  I wasn't feeling overly proud; but I did feel accomplished.  Now I feel a little bit judged and diminished.  Fortunately, I have enough self worth that the bruise will fade quickly...I just worry that others may not.  I will, likely, discontinue reading and posting on this forum lest I inadvertently minimize someone else's experience as ladyshanny did mine.  I wish you luck on the remainder of your 30 days and beyond.  Keep up the good work!

Archived