Mayo problems

Bchap

• Administrators

Copy and paste the following into your Google search bar and you will get tonnes and tonnes of threads discussing this very thing:

forum.whole30.com: mayo

Note that google is the easiest way to search the forum and nearly everything you can think has already been asked and answered multiple times.  Just type "Whole30 + your question" into Google.  If you want specifically forum results, use "forum.whole30.com: your question" in the search bar

I just tried making mayo tonight, and it wouldn't emulsify at all despite following the directions to a T.  Or so I thought...  after we poured the liquid down the drain (it was grossing my husband out), he looked at the ingredients left out on the counter and said, "wait a sec...  did you use mustard POWDER instead of actual mustard?"  Oops, I didn't even think that liquid mustard would have been the key since it has vinegar in it!  Off to the store to buy more avocado oil tomorrow...

I use powdered mustard all the time with no problems. I use this recipe:

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

If you don't have an immersion blender, I would seriously recommend getting one. There's no slow pouring of the oil needed with a stick blender. Plus, most of them come with a tall container perfect for making and storing your mayo. If there's any chance you will be making mayo every week, get one now!

• 5 weeks later...
On July 5, 2016 at 10:10 PM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

I just marinated and poached three large basa filets in a failed batch of mayo the other day-- MMMMMMMMM!!

Failure turned delicious success :lol:

I just had a failed mayo yesterday (to which I added cilantro and garlic) - I love this idea for the failed batch - I have fresh shrimp in the fridge I'm going to try this out with.

Archived