Feeling miserable

I'm at day 10 and am feeling discouraged and questioning if this is the right food lifestyle for me.  I have been severely bloated the last 3 days... so much so that none of my pants (save for sweat pants that i've had my boyfriend cut the elastic out of last night) fit me.  I spend a lot of yesterday in tears because I didn't have clothes to go outside for a walk in, never mind go to a park with friends to watch 4th of July fireworks.  A bit about me pre-Whole30, I'm fairly petite, 5'4 around 128 pounds, and I was hoping to feel a reset in my body and feel lighter.  I have a big awards ceremony I'm attending with my work next Monday in London, and that was a bit of the instigator to start the whole30 now.  I read the book, and even after seeing that I may experience "tighter" pants on days 8-9, I thought, no problem.  By day 15 I'll be golden.  My pants aren't tight... they don't button at all.  I've never had this feeling before and it's really depressing.  I'm wondering if the reason this program works is that people get so discouraged they stop eating... that's the point I"m at.  I've been following meals to a tee, haven't cheated at all.  My boyfriend and I are eating exactly the same, and he has tightened up his belt loop a notch.  I'm very nervous that this bloating and overall uncomfortable feeling will continue, and worst case, I won't fit into my required outfit for the awards ceremony next week.  I am reaching out for help, and hoping that there are some people who were in my situation that either got through it for the better, or if they quit it, can share why as well.  

Thank you!

I'm sure the moderators will chime in soon to ask for a list of meals with lots of detail (what you're eating, how much of everything, how much fat is added, whether the protein compares to the size of your hand, etc), but I wanted to drop a note to provide some encouragement. And... also to note... bloating can often be caused by drinking sparkling water, so... if that's something you've been having regularly, maybe cut it out for a couple of days and see what happens.

Day 10 was - I think - one of the hardest days for me, for reasons similar to what you're listing. I just couldn't see the point anymore, and I felt like I was working really hard just to spin my wheels. If I remember correctly, 10 was the day I ended up yelling at my boyfriend in such a way that it jarred him, and he just wrapped his arms around me and told me it was okay to cry. Plus... some bloating. But I didn't give up, and I saw it through, and I was witness - within a day or two - to some really groundbreaking changes in my person as a whole. I can't say that'll happen to you, but please, give it the five more days. Even if your boyfriend is seeing results you aren't just yet... remember that the female body is different in general, on top of you being two different people, so your body might have a different response to the same stimuli.

Just to add - the most successful people on the forum seem to be the ones eating the most (but in a measured way), not the ones who got discouraged and stopped eating. If anything, this plan is so much about providing the proper fuel for your body - don't stop eating! YOU CAN DO THIS.

• Moderators

I'm at day 10

I've been following meals to a tee, haven't cheated at all.  

My boyfriend and I are eating exactly the same, and he has tightened up his belt loop a notch.  

Hi;

First, this is a 30 day program and you're at the spot where things can get harder before they get easier.

I quoted your 'following meals to a tee' comment because I would like to ask that you post what you've been eating (meal timing, portion sizes related to the template, specific veggies, protein and fat as well as water intake).

Also, please don't compare yourself to your boyfriend.  Men don't have hormonal adjustments on a 28 day cycle like we do and he's a different person altogether than you are so whatever his results are shouldn't be playing into what you're looking at in yourself.

I would also ask if you are at/on/near your period as this can be a 'fun' impact to the program depending on your personal timing.

Post your meals and we'll take a look and see if we can't help... don't give up and don't stop eating!

Thanks all for your support- I'd love for you to have al look at my meals, maybe I'm missing something.  I haven't had much to drink besides still water, occasionally with lemon or lime.  I have had a kombucha drink twice this week.  I've been salting my food for sure, this is something I've always done as I have lower sodium levels in my blood so I've always been a salt added girl. I've pretty much only made recipes from the whole30 cookbook as I've found it easier for me.

Breakfast- either the whole 30 frittata, or 2-3 poached eggs on sauted spinach (in coconut oil) with mushrooms, or kitchen sink scramble with 3 eggs, avocado and kale and squash.

Coffee with 1/3 cup coconut milk.

I haven't felt much like snacking as I'm so full from breakfast, but maybe twice this week I've had an apple with proscuitto.

Lunch- Mixed greens with tomato and mushroom and peppers and asparagus with tuna and primal kitchen mayo, or seared ahi steak, or beef steak.  Dressing is either the mayo/cilantro watered down or oil and vinegar.

Dinner- Spaghetti squash with Whole30 'pesto' and ground beef and mushrooms, BBQ salmon and shrimp with avocado, onion, cilantro 'salsa' and 1 potato with primal kitchen mayo to make a potato salad. I also have had ground beef with sweet potato buns and lettuce tomato and primal kitchen mayo with side salad. 

I have had 2 dried peach half as a mid day snack last Thursday as well.

I've been having green or chamomile tea after dinner.

I've really been trying to follow the meal template, with 1-2 servings of protein, the rest of my plate as veggies and making sure I have fats for each meal, on top of the cooking fat.

Also, I have been drinking 70 ounces of water a day and I just finished my period about 7 days ago.  So I'm not at a bloated time in my cycle.

Any suggestions?

Also I realized I didn't add my protien portions.. as I've been following the recipes in the cookbook, I've had my portions to pretty close to 2 palm sizes of chicken, and the beef burger I had last night was a bit over .3 pound.  So I feel I'm probably eating a bit over a pound of meat a day, divided into 3 meals.

You may not be eating enough non starchy veggies.

Salad is pretty water dense. In order to get 1-3 cups of sauteed spinach, you often need like 1-3 containers at least! The same is true with salads. You need a bucket full to get the most out of it.

I'd also probably back off slightly on the starchy veggies. Maybe start with a fist sized serving a day and see how you feel with that. Each of your meals seems to rely heavily on starches.

Dried peaches probably aren't the best thing to snack on since dried fruit tends to be natures candy and can send your blood sugar on a roller coaster. If you're truly hungry, eat a mini meal (with protein fat and veggies) or some protein and fat to tied you over, but ideally you should be satisfied from one meal to the next, assuming you're eating every 4-6 hours.

You may not be eating enough non starchy veggies.

Salad is pretty water dense. In order to get 1-3 cups of sauteed spinach, you often need like 1-3 containers at least! The same is true with salads. You need a bucket full to get the most out of it.

I'd also probably back off slightly on the starchy veggies. Maybe start with a fist sized serving a day and see how you feel with that. Each of your meals seems to rely heavily on starches.

Thanks Karen,

What are the 'starchy' veggies.. I've been eating Kale, Spinach, Salad greens, tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, spaghetti squash, and that one night I had sweet potato, but just once.

• Moderators

I'm not sure how many eggs are in the fritatta but when eggs are your sole source of protein, you want to aim for as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping.  For most people that starts with 3-4 so your frittata might be light and your eggs and spinach/mushrooms (sounds delish!) is light.  It's hard to tell with the way you've outlined your meals but you need to have the added fat (avocado or the like) with every meal.  

The template also asks for 1-3 cups of veggies.  Starchy veggies (winter squash [not zucchini or spaghetti squash], potato, sweet potato, carrots, beets and other root veggies) are recommended as a fist sized serving at least once a day.  

You CAN have a serving at every meal, that's entirely up to you but depending on your activity levels, whether you're overweight, you may want to start with just the one serving.  If you are very active, you may need more. I disagree that your meals seem to rely heavily on starchy veggies, so if you're comfortable with what you've been eating in that regard, keep going.

Your meals look pretty decent other wise based on your portion sizes. Just make sure you're getting the added fat (don't count cooking fat) and the high end of veggies (cooked will digest easier than raw and may help with what could be a bit of bloat causing your pants to be tight).

If you're needing to snack because you're hungry (as in, you could eat bland steamed fish and broccoli and be in heaven) then eat a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies... if you would NOT eat the fish and broc but you WOULD eat dried fruit, nuts, nut butters and other 'snacky' things then it's probably a craving and should be ignored.  You want to assemble your meals according to the template to get 4-5 hours between meals :)

Stay the course, you're on the right track!

Edited to add:  Your water consumption is great if you weigh 140 pounds... we recommend 1/2oz per pound of body weight...

I read more than one serving a day. Oops. You may actually be ok with the starches you've had. It could be something else but I'm not that versed in w30 trouble shooting.

Basically root veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips...) and winter squash (like spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut squash) and plantains are starches. They have a heavier carb load than other veggies. Most do well with one fist sized serving a day, normally lunch or dinner. Some need more. Some need less.

• Moderators

I read more than one serving a day. Oops. You may actually be ok with the starches you've had. It could be something else but I'm not that versed in w30 trouble shooting.

Basically root veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips...) and winter squash (like spaghetti squash, acorn squash, butternut squash) and plantains are starches. They have a heavier carb load than other veggies. Most do well with one fist sized serving a day, normally lunch or dinner. Some need more. Some need less.

Spaghetti squash is not a starchy carb, it's just a regular vegetable like zucchini :)

SugarCube has gven you some great advice above about the composition of your meals. I'd just add regarding the bloat that you're eating a lot of mushrooms which are a high FODMAP food. Now, everyone's tolerance of FODMAPs will vary, but personally I've had to completely eliminate mushrooms due to the bloat so you could try cutting back on those to see if things improve. In my experience with FODMAPs it's likely that with a period of exclusion you may well be able to reintroduce them again, but maybe not just so often.

Other FODMAPs you're eating that could be problematic: avocado, onion, asparagus, dried peach, apple, sweet potato & coconut milk - all of which are most likely fine on their own, but when combined (& especially when combined & eaten multiple times in one day) can cause bloating, gas, cramps, & diarrhoea/constipation.

I too bloated up larger than I though possible. All I can say is that it passed (haha). I chalked it up to too much fruit and a changeover of my gut bacteria. The advice give on this thread will get you through. I am now on day 24 and feel like the kinks are worked out.

Spaghetti squash is not a starchy carb, it's just a regular vegetable like zucchini :)

Yay!!! I always associated it with winter squashes so I'm glad to know it is not one.

Sorry for the misinformation! I am still a student myself and can still make mistakes. You've got some great advice coming your way. My personal mantra (usually toward parenting) is "this too shall pass...." So hopefully it passes soon.

Archived