Compliant beverages

At day 9 I am actually finding the beverage part to be the most difficult. Didn't realize how much I'd miss dairy in my coffee and diet soda. What beverages other than black coffee/tea, water, seltzer are compliant?  Coconut water, specifically "Zico" which is strictly coconut water, nothing else, is delicious.  Fairly certain that one meets the criteria. How about maple water with nothing added other than pure maple water?

As Karen has said water should be your main source of hydration but you could also go for the likes of herbal or fruit teas - just be sure to read the labels as there are sometimes off plan ingredients.

If you're looking for something cold and you're a coffee drinker how about some cold brew?

The coconut water whilst compliant is more of a light fruit juice and only really recommended for those doing endurance sports, or whose job leaves them dehydrated.

• Moderators

We allow drinking coconut water in one limited circumstance.... when you are running 10 or 20 miles in hot weather. It is never okay to drink coconut water in your home. 

You cannot drink coconut water or maple water as a beverage. They are sweet drinks that keep you a slave to the food bondage in which you have been living. When we say that you cannot drink fruit juice, but only use it as a sweetener, for recipes, we are serious and there are no exceptions for drinks that might be argued are nor really fruit juice.

The problem is not that you need something entertaining to drink. The problem is that your taste buds are corrupted by the sweetness you have lived with for years. You seriously need to adjust your taste buds by drinking plain water until you like plain water. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Can you use a little raw honey in drinks? I have been using that as a coffee sweetener. I've heard coconut oil is a good substitute for creamer.

During a Whole30, you cannot use honey or stevia or sugar or maple syrup or any kind of sweetener. For more information, check out the links to the rules and the Can I Have list in my signature below.

Coconut oil and/or coconut milk are good creamer substitutes.

• 2 weeks later...

today I bought a herbal cleanse tea and checked the label as ive come accustomed to doing. when I got home and actually brewed it and re read the label(I do that a lot) I noticed that under the list of ingredients is a small note that says: other ingredients: natural lemon and honey flavors. eeeeeeeek! its not sweet at all and doesn't taste anything like honey. is it still considered not compliant? I'm on day 16 and have no interest in starting over, but I wont drink it again until I'm done if this considered a no-go.

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, 7perfected said:

today I bought a herbal cleanse tea and checked the label as ive come accustomed to doing. when I got home and actually brewed it and re read the label(I do that a lot) I noticed that under the list of ingredients is a small note that says: other ingredients: natural lemon and honey flavors. eeeeeeeek! its not sweet at all and doesn't taste anything like honey. is it still considered not compliant? I'm on day 16 and have no interest in starting over, but I wont drink it again until I'm done if this considered a no-go.

I would forgo this due to the honey flavour but also because "herbal cleanse" products are not in keeping with the spirit of Whole30.

Flaxseeds (aka linseeds) are another great food for getting things moving in the bathroom - they are very high in dietary fibre, magnesium, and omega 3 - make sure you're using ground though! As with all nuts/seeds they should be eaten in moderation, but 1-2 teaspoons mixed in water every other day should be fine. Probiotics will also help....

On 7/6/2016 at 9:52 AM, ultrarunnergirl said:

Keep trying different flavors of sparkling water. I like mine plain with a good splash of kombucha. Keep experimenting. Put it in a nice piece of crystalware and sip and enjoy. Remember to relax and appreciate the moment.

Would you please explain kombucha?  I've seen bottled kombucha drinks, but is it some kind of seed or liquid you can add to your water?  Where do you find compliant kombucha?  I tried finding it on Amazon and got a lot of products that I was not sure about.  Thanks.  

@Gigi In NOLA Kombucha is a fermented tea first produced in China. Basically you make a very sweet tea, and then a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria & yeast) is placed in it & the bacteria feeds off of the sugar causing the tea to ferment. This creates 'good' bacteria, or probiotics which are helpful for digestion. 

Many people on the forums (myself included) produce/ferment their own as buying can be expensive, but their a lot of compliant versions out there - you'll want one that doesn't have any sugars/sweeteners added to the second ferment.

ETA: For clarity - a compliant kombucha won't generally have any sugar/sweeteners listed outside of the brackets on the ingredients label. So the label might say: Kombucha (tea, sugar, kombucha culture), apple puree, ginger, honey - in which case it wouldn't be compliant. 

15 minutes ago, 7perfected said:

I bought a flax/chia seed mix, can I mix that with water and drink it for the same results?

The chia seeds go VERY gloopy in water - moreso I believe than the flax - but yes, the mix should work just fine, and the flax MUST be ground!!

No, they're much more likely to pass through the digestive tract without actually being digested unless they are ground or at the very least crushed. It's the oils within the seed that will help things move along, along with the soluble & insoluble fibre provided by the seed itself, not the outer shell. You'll also need to ensure you're drinking plenty of water as the fibre will act like a sponge.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived