Fats without sauces/mayo?

Doro77

• Moderators

Olives, avocados, coconut in any form. Oils (coconut oil on a baked sweet potato, drizzle olive oil or sesame oil over vegetables). Choose fattier cuts of meat.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about sauces? I've found they're a great way to change up flavors on more simply seasoned foods, so I can cook in bulk and not end up bored, so I can't imagine doing this without them.

• 1 month later...

I use Macadamia Nut oil and all kinds of olive oils, our own rendered gf beef fat (tallow) for cooking, clarified butter or ghee, there's duck fat for the adventurous and compliant bacon fat.  I rarely use coconut oil anymore because of taste preferences. There are many alternatives for avocado/olives/coconut.  I rarely eat the mayo but yesterday, I made a chicken salad over fresh greens.  Chicken, celery, pecans, grapes, fresh lemon spritz,  mayo and fresh herbs. It tasted so good that we're going to have more today. 

I found a pack of 3 different nut oils at Trader Joe's  a while back and I think under $10. Walnut, hazelnut, and pistachio. I just started drizzling them over everything. Yumm-y! In fact I've gone to using almost no oils for cooking and put them on afterward. You can taste the flavor better. Same for olive oil and avocado oil. Extra Virginia olive oils is sometimes too strong.  Get a lighter flavor if you don't like it. Avocado oil doesn't taste like anything so you could just add it for the sake of the fat.  Ghee is delicious.

I'm going back packing next week and trying to figure out how to pack in good fats. I think i.m going to have to just carry a jar of oil.

Archived