Littleg reining it in

littleg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh gosh. I think you're doing great. You are inspiring me!

I would say yeah, keep trying to get to 30! Why not? There's a few 30s left in the pregnancy :rolleyes:. The more you keep trying to get to 30, the more compliant days you'll have. At least now when you fall off, you're getting right back on.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Thanks J9er :) I hope there are about 5 30's left!  At least 2 because thats when the success rates get pretty good in our NICU :)  

Ate only the food I brought with me to work :) Had 2 kombuchas and a beef stick from TJ (impulse buy - grassfed and compliant - now I have a suggestion for all those "what should I bring hiking?" posts).

Dinner today: Munched on some carrots, haricot verts and maybe a piece of bacon... while prepping:

leftover salmon, left over fried cauli rice (just like real Chinese it tastes better cold the next day!), salad with lettuce, haricot verts, carrot, tomatoes, BACON and dump ranch.  I made dump ranch once before and, similar to my experience with Tessemae's I thought it must have been cult-W30 praise because I didn't like it at all.  I tried a different recipe this time and really like the seasonings better.  I used this and added dried chives too.  

Day 4

Coffee with coconut milk

1 hr trail walk with dog - too darn hot out...

Kombucha

M1 - spinach, onions, breakfast sausage with 2 HB eggs, mayo with hot sauce

Kombucha

Carrots dipped in ranch while cooking:

M2 - "fried rice", salad with leftover chicken, carrots, haricot vets, dump ranch :) , 1/6 kabocha squash with coconut milk, 2 plumcots

I love the size of your meals. I see some meals on Instagram or posted here and they look so tiny, always makes me question how people can survive on nothing, or how I can pack in so much food. Lol. I out eat my husband usually.

So I'm going to drive up to Montreal in 2 weeks to visit my mom (she'll be there for work). I will be driving straight up through the Adirondacks. Do you think there's any sort of hike I can stop for on my way? I would only need something a couple hours long. But it seems criminal not to stop on my way.  

7 hours ago, J9er said:

I love the size of your meals. I see some meals on Instagram or posted here and they look so tiny, always makes me question how people can survive on nothing, or how I can pack in so much food. Lol. I out eat my husband usually.

I've always said this too - most people can't quite believe the amount of food I pack in! :ph34r:

Me too.  Sigh. :)  But some of the meals posted - they are 4 mushrooms, 3 slices of zucchini and a small piece of whitefish... :rolleyes:

Yes!  I have the perfect hike for you :)  Noonmark.  Its my favorite hike and one of the closest to the highway.  If its a little too long time-wise, just a few more miles west on 73 is Roostercomb - you could probably knock that out in 2 hrs if you are a 3mph kind of hiker.  

Exit 30 - Noonmark Mountain.  You park at the Ausable club lot, walk part way up that private road and the trailhead is on your left.  It isn't a high peak (but its just as hard of a hike).  You can do a loop if you'd like.  Take the Stimson trail up - it has more views, you can do a loop by coming down the backside of Noonmark.  You can do a longer loop if you do Round Mtn too.  Both peaks makes it a 6.5 mile day or so (with ~3k vertical).  Just Noonmark (if you go out and back) and walked with a purpose could probably be done in 3 hrs (about 2k vertical).  

http://www.adk.org/page.php?pname=hiking-noonmark

Roostercomb is just a little further down 73.  

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/new-york/adirondack-park-ny-rooster-comb/#bp=0/img1

One day if you have more time the Jay Range is really cool.  The hike to Jay Mtn is 2.5 miles but you can walk along a ridge for about another 1.5 miles - I don't know of too many other hikes in the ADKs with ridge hiking like that.  But its about 30 minutes from the highway.  

Thanks Elle!  Its funny that I perceive myself as failing but you guys see it as success :) 

Slept like poo last night.  I fall asleep really well these days and sleep soundly from 8 PM (yep, not ashamed!) until 1 or 2 AM when I have to pee (because I have to pee all the time now).  Then I can't ever fall back to sleep.  Usually I'm worried about the baby but last night I felt it wiggling around a little in there so I was so happy I couldn't sleep... I also am getting leg cramps again at night.  Magnesium is packed for my trip to the ADKs!  I haven't had it since being preggo - it was on the "barftastic" list.  

Had some black coffee when I got out of bed around 6.

Drank a kombucha after running to TJ for the 5th time this week... (I'm going to be away for 3 days!  Must go to TJ!).  

Quick workout in the sauna outside.  5 RFT: 7 40 lb KB swings, 7 preggo-burpees, 7 front squats @35, 7 presses @35, 7 rows @35, 14 overhead barbell lunges @35.  Took about 18 minutes.  Too darn hot for this crap.  I was soaked.

PWO - few bites of kabocha squash

M1 - 1/2 piece of bacon, leftover fried "rice" - going out for breakfast/lunch at 1 so I didn't want to eat much.   

Then my sister in law came over - she is giving W30 a shot and I'm super excited to help her out.  Gave her small samples of all those big cost items up front (coconut aminos, ghee, duck fat...) so in case she doesn't like eating this way she doesn't lose $50 stocking her kitchen.    

On the fence about how to order for lunch/breakfast today.  They have a bunch of delicious egg dishes but most have cheese... I'm fine with dairy but, gosh darn it, it is only day 4 of my 2,345th attempt at this W30!

The heat *is* just something else this summer.  We have central air and in the last 4 years since hubs installed it I think we've had it on... maybe 10 days total.  In 4 years.  We have barely turned it off this summer.  Boo.  

We hiked Snow (ha!) Mountain yesterday (same trailhead as Roostercomb).  You could practically run that if you were really pressed for time.  Pretty nice views at the summit.  

So, back to day 2 again.  Our house in the ADKs is a vacation rental and the last guests left oreo ice cream (maybe 1 cup worth) AND a King Cone in the freezer... On the bright side - I did put the whipped cream (my afterlife will be an all-whipped-cream-diet) straight into the garbage.  So I had 15% self control :)

Yesterday:

Black coffee

2 mile hike with both doggies 

3 HB eggs with mayo

5 mile hike with hubs and doggie 1 - ~1300 vertical.  Felt like a rainforest.  Gross.  Gross.  Gross.

We finished around 3 and I didn't want a big meal.  Munched on the last of the cantaloupe (~1 c), 1 grapefruit, 2 small apples, handful of the ground beef hubs was cooking up.  

Dinner was 2 bags of salad :blink: (everyone does that right?), homemade dump ranch, pan fried potatoes, pan fried beef, green beans, tomatoes, 2 plumcots.  Dessert was a chance of coconut butter and a small bowl of coconut cream with strawberries.  

10 minutes ago, littleg said:

...Our house in the ADKs is a vacation rental and the last guests left oreo ice cream (maybe 1 cup worth) AND a King Cone in the freezer... On the bright side - I did put the whipped cream (my afterlife will be an all-whipped-cream-diet) straight into the garbage.  So I had 15% self control :)

:D

I still think you're doing great!

Yes, I agree, you're doing great. 

Our last a/c bill was tolerable. I am downright terrified to see the next one. 

Soooo, we are going to do the Pemi Loop this weekend! Kevin surprised me and took Friday off. He'll get off early on Thursday and we'll head up there as soon as he's home. I've been madly getting our food ready. Dehydrator is going full tilt. I hope it's not too crazy busy. I wish we could do it during the week, but it's just not an option. I also hope we don't die - we aren't in our best hiking shape, but I'm hoping for some muscle memory. 

6 minutes ago, J9er said:

...I also hope we don't die - we aren't in our best hiking shape, but I'm hoping for some muscle memory....

:D

Enjoy - You'll be in my prayers!!

A/C bills eh? The best thing about summer in Ireland is that I can switch my heating off.... well, most days!! 

Oh my gosh!  What a great surprise.  I have goosebumps just reading that and I don't even know you :) I hope the weather cooperates!  Post some pictures!  

What kind of food are you bringing?  I wasn't paleo and when we were doing our harder backpacking trips (now we are spoiled, with a house in the mountains) but I've always sort of been drawn to the idea of trying a fat-fueled/paleo hard trip.  If it were not a bajillion degrees out and dairy would keep (hard cheeses mostly) I'd think about adding that.   

And turn the A/C off before you leave ;)

Speaking of A/C... I just texted hubs a picture of me wearing... a sweatshirt!  I'm up at camp and its it the low 60s!  I haven't worn a sweatshirt in months!  Love it!

5 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

A/C bills eh? The best thing about summer in Ireland is that I can switch my heating off.... well, most days!! 

Well, the next time you are in the mood for living in a sauna for a week straight just hop on a plane and fly to NY and we can trade houses for a bit!

Speaking of traveling... I was looking up info about the Yorkshire Dales after all the Herriot books.  Turns out there is a national park there - with hiking and moutain biking and all sorts of cool things.  Have you been there?  

@littleg - I haven't, no.... I've mostly done city destinations on the UK mainland but there are some amazing parks like that throughout the UK and Ireland, and some great spots to stay/tour. We have a walk called the Ulster Way in N Ireland, and one called the International Appalachian Trail (linked on the same page) which I reckon you'd like if we ever did that house swap... 

So yesterday went pretty well... 

M1 was 1/2 bag frozen spinach cooked with 1/2 onion, 3 fried eggs that were a total flip-fail.  

We left for our 6 mile hike with ~2k vertical around 12:30.  The hike went great - beautiful day.  2 grapefruits and an avocado at the summit.

About 1.5 miles from the car my friend's dog just couldn't go anymore - came on pretty quickly - she was fine, then she wasn't.  My friend tried carrying the dog on her back (she is a 63 lb dog, probably 1/2 the weight of my friend).  I offered to try to but my friend wouldn't let me do it being 5 months pregnant... With about 1 mile to go I went back to the car, got the blanket from the back seat to carry the dog out.  They managed to make it almost another 1/2 mile on their own in that time.  We managed to carry the dog on the blanket for about 1/3 of a mile or so.  But we were making it maybe 100 steps at a time because well, its not easy to carry a 65 lb animal in an old blanket.  At one point she got wiggly enough that it seemed she might be feeling a bit better (she had just been totally still for the shoulder carrying and initial blanket carrying) - and luckily she very slowly hobbled her way out to the car.  My friend feels terrible.  The dog didn't seem "injured" per se - just totally spent.  I hope she is feeling better today!  But it does make me think about first aid supplies to carry.  If this had been a person - well I'm not sure you can ever be totally prepared.  But I always hike with my 75 lb dog and if he got hurt - well, he wouldn't be going on my shoulders.  

Finished the hike and ate a few clementines and an apple.  Dinner was grilled filet, pan fried potatoes, left over fried rice, green beans and tomatoes with dump ranch.  Not even remotely full after dinner.  Had one plumcot, a bowl of coconut cream with strawberries and a chunk of coconut butter.

Could have eaten more but decided to just stop :)

Oh gosh! That sounds like quite the time with the dog. I did that with my dog before. He made it out fine but he had heatstroke for sure, and I think his kidneys were affected for a few days after. A touch of renal failure. I felt SO BAD. 

The thing I am most excited about (well, besides the hike), is the food! We haven't backpacked since becoming paleo/whole30 either, and I am not eating Mountain House ever again! 

So we are having Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili - made with venison, a turkey stew with a base of sweet potato and beets, lots of veggies. Juevos rancheros - going to try to bring in a few fresh eggs :) but there's ground turkey in that just in case the eggs don't make it. I'm making kale chips to munch on or add to meals. I grated zucchini and carrot into all the meals as well. Bringing epic bars and Jerkey for lunches. I'll bring some raw veggies for the first day or two as well. We have fat bombs, and grain free granola - aka nuts and coconut doused in coconut oil and maple syrup lol. Oh and having gluten free pasta with the chili. My husband loves Chili Mac (I am repulsed), so decided to indulge him with the gluten free Macaroni. 

I am trying to limit dairy, I just posted about my dang eczema flare again, but I did buy a small brick of Parmesan cheese, and some Justin's peanut butter cups :) 

Will also bring some extra coconut oil, lots of salt and some Nuun electrolyte tabs. Eating clean homemade stuff, I'm a little worried about our sodium getting depleted in this heat - don't have to worry about that with mountain house meals.

I will definitely post pics - I'm so glad you told me about it, I sent the link to my husband and he was sold. 

What about coconut butter?  I think I'd just bring a jar of that for each day and call it quits :)  I just saw TJ started carrying grassfed "meat sticks" that are compliant.  I'm sure they are salty!  When I used to do some pretty tough 18-22 mile days with 3-5 peaks I used to think sugar was what made me feel better (this was pre-paleo).  Once I started bringing pretzels and seeing how good I felt eating them I realized it was the salt.  I agree it is tougher eating W30 because you have to purposefully add salt to stuff.  

I'll be thinking of you this weekend!  Super jealous :)

Kinda drizzly up here today.  Rainy day at camp today :( I'll just head in to Placid and do what any good Long Island-born girl does - shop!

Had some mostly decaf coffee with coconut milk this AM and 1 slice of bacon while cooking fried "rice" (its gotta be eaten cold... so much better - so I make it in the morning for dinner!).

Took the monster for a hour-ish easy hike.  There is a trail across the street from our house that *somehow* connects to the trail to hike one of the 46 peaks here but we haven't gone far enough to find the connection yet.  Today we walked for ~40 minutes and found the connector trail.  

M1 - 2 HB eggs and last of the breakfast sausage mixed with mayo, bowl of cold steamed spinach with TJ sun dried tomatoes, unsweetened iced tea (it was all too ugly to take a picture of!)

19 hours ago, littleg said:

What about coconut butter?  I think I'd just bring a jar of that for each day and call it quits :)  I just saw TJ started carrying grassfed "meat sticks" that are compliant.  I'm sure they are salty!  When I used to do some pretty tough 18-22 mile days with 3-5 peaks I used to think sugar was what made me feel better (this was pre-paleo).  Once I started bringing pretzels and seeing how good I felt eating them I realized it was the salt.  I agree it is tougher eating W30 because you have to purposefully add salt to stuff.  

I'll be thinking of you this weekend!  Super jealous :)

Yes! I made some fat bombs by basically mixing flaked coconut in my food processor until it was almost butter, I added a bit of almond flour, and extra coconut oil, a tiny bit of maple syrup and some vanilla bean paste. They are less than an ounce each and have 171 cals and 20g of fat! And they are delicious. Lol. I'm exercising some crazy will power not diving into everything I've made so far.

Send happy feet vibes our way! I'm trying not to overthink things. I cant believe people do this as a day hike. Yikes. 

Ok, back from camp.  Back to trying to stick to real food again.  Its been a tough few days in preggo land.  On Tuesday I did a 6 mile easy trail run.  On the way back I tripped over something and pretty much belly-flopped to the ground.  I must have had a premonition or something because I was literally thinking - just as I fell... "If I fall I need to try to turn so I land on my shoulder".  I managed to get maybe 1/4 of the way there.  Definitely landed on the *side* of my belly - but there was belly impact regardless.  I didn't think much of it - baby is pretty small and well protected in there.  But of course I felt *no* movement the rest of the day.  I'm only 20 weeks so I'm not feeling much movement - but some wiggles here and there.  By 8 PM I was nearly hysterical.  So we went to the hospital.  Went in through ED but 20 weeks gets you up to L&D.  Nurse came in and tried to find fetal HR - couldn't.  Another nurse came, she couldn't.  Third nurse, nope.  I'm sobbing at this point and hubs was no longer saying "its fine, they just can't find it" but rather "try to take a deep breath, we don't know whats going on yet".  Midwife came in and finally managed to find a fetal HR for a hot second before she lost it.  But, it was enough to calm me down.  They sent me for an ultrasound just to check for bleeding and then monitored for contractions for a bit before sending us home.  I just happened to have my anatomy scan the following day.  So yesterday we went in for that.  All was good until the very last thing they look for - the corpus callosum.  Being a NICU nurse I had asked if they could see it at 20 weeks.  They doc looked for a while and was able to see 90% of it he estimated.  But couldn't see all of it.  Baby wasn't being super cooperative so at first I thought they couldn't get the angle they needed but when I bumped into the doc in the hallway on the way out he said he had been able to get the right angle, that he just couldn't see the back of the CC.  He tried to assure me that at 20 weeks this sometimes happens.  We go back in 2 weeks for a follow up.  But of course I'm frantic.  I work with these kiddos every day.  Agenesis of the CC can present pretty varied clinically - from no deficits to severe.  A neurologist I work with also told me that he has seen lots of 20 week scans with worrisome results turn out to be ok.  Trying to still just be happy that everything else was "beautiful" on the scan but its hard.  I did email my manager and say I need a break from the NICU though and just get away from all these sick babies.  She seemed to think it would be doable - so at least at work I can work with sick kids - who were babies that made it :)

Food wise I've been doing ok.  Wed and Thurs were all compliant.  In reading Mokiki's log she brought up that posting food each day might not really be leading us in the direction of food freedom we are hoping for.  So I think I'm going to follow her lead.  I'm going to try posting something positive about the food I ate (new recipe that turned out good, good choice I made, whatever) instead of rattling off an itemized list.  

Thursday food: still loving that enchilada casserole :) Made a batch last night that was dinner and will be meals for work this weekend.   Also made some zucchini fritters that turned out great.  Winged it from various recipes: 2-3 big shredded zucchini (salted and hung in cheese cloth for 1-2 hours), 2 eggs, 2 tbsp coconut flour, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, dried shallots.  I baked them.  Super good.  

Today: Tonight hubs asked for taco casserole.  Similar to enchilada casserole but with fried plantains.  Yum.  

@littleg - I had goosebumps reading this post, and teared up because it brought back so many memories....  :(

I'll be thinking about you over the next few weeks, but just wanted to say that as a nurse who works with the premmies it's only natural you're going to jump to conclusions and assume the worst - I know that's easy for me to say now mine are up & well, but you know where I'm coming from. Go easy on yourself.

And I totally agree about the food logging thing.

Back to work today.  NICU hiatus for a bit, courtesy of my understanding manager.  

Casserole never materialized yesterday since it was so similar to our enchilada casserole.  Another day.  Had yummy grilled burgers and oven baked potato "chips" that somehow turned out better than normal.  

I also made some delicious roasted garlic pesto with garden basil.  Using roasted garlic (a whole head!) really makes this pesto a.mazing.  I used walnuts instead of pine nuts too.  I think our basil plant will have enough for one, maybe two, more batches.  

Compliant today at work.  4 days in a row (yet again) strung together :) A friend at work was eating an "unstuffed" cabbage soup that smelled amazing.  Its finally supposed to be in the 50s at night here for a day so I think I may bust out a soup recipe!  I always loved my mom's stuffed cabbage recipe and it was a little sad today when I remembered I couldn't just call her to ask for the recipe.  I haven't made her recipe in years and doubt I have it written down anywhere.  

Off tomorrow - we've got a Redbox movie ready for the rainy day :)

Archived