Littleg reining it in

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yesterday was a sauna all day - rain didn't come in until late so it was just hot and muggy all day.  Got in a decent workout but besides that didn't really do much.  Fell asleep during the movie (my usual).   Going to finish it up today.  Does it take everyone 3 days to watch a DVD?  Yesterday turned into a bit of a dried fruit-fest.  Raisins, dates and cantaloupe for dinner.  But NO processed crap.  

In a funk with recipes.  I'm really in the mood for poultry but hate buying supermarket stuff.  The pastured chicken around here is crazy expensive ($8-$10/lb for bone in stuff).   Hoping to have some meals prepped by the end of the day :)  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes my husband 3 days to watch a Movie too. :lol:

Oh my goodness, all those events, I'm so sorry. How stressful! I can't imagine. 

Good thing for the NICU break -- smart move. I really hope after your next check up you get the answers you need and the next half of this pregnancy is better. And baby needs to stop hiding for HR checks! 

8 hours ago, J9er said:

And baby needs to stop hiding for HR checks! 

Baby is already grounded!

I think all the checking makes most pregnancies more stressful these days.  Being a NICU nurse doesn't help.  An acquaintance had a baby maybe 6-8 months ago now.  At some point late-ish in her pregnancy she went for a scan - told the baby was small for gestational age - could be intrauterine growth restriction... she gave birth to a 10lb baby who is fine.  I took care of a NICU baby once whose mom was told basically at every check the baby wouldn't make it for some reason or another.  But she was an ultrasound tech so she just kept checking for a HR everyday and plugging along.  Baby came early, it did look a little "syndromey", but was discharged from the NICU doing great.  Too much testing sometimes.  

My first pregnancy I was at a midwife's group and after losing that pregnancy I decided I wanted an OB for this one so I could be monitored more closely.  I felt like information would help.  So I did it to myself ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK!  Thanks for checking on me :) 

Baby wise: follow up ultrasound (for a part of the brain they couldn't visualize at 20 weeks) was good.  Phew.  This morning I honestly think it was standing up straight in there!  I felt bladder kicks (its favorite thing to do) while at the same time the head was literally poking out above my belly button - you could see a little round lump sticking out of my abdomen.  I think it was the head - too big for a foot, too small and hard for a butt.   Hubs was there (usually he misses babe's dance parties so has to rely only on me telling him about it - so that was cool that he got to feel it).  

Hiking wise: Walking is getting a little uncomfortable.  We did Roostercomb on Sunday (5 miles, 1700 vertical) and I was pretty uncomfortable.  We tried to do Phelps on Monday - made it to Marcy used-to-be-Dam and then turned around - I felt like I was going to explode.  Between some IBS issues (crappy food) and an almost 2" increase in my belly in 1-2 weeks I think my abdominals were just shot.  Too much stretching to be bouncing along a trail.  I've got some round ligament pain too so my goal to make it to 10 high peaks this pregnancy might not pan out :) 

Food wise: Meh.  Work gets me everytime with those darn donuts and bagels!  I'm averaging 1-2 days a week of crappy (in excess) eating each week.  I'm still eating really well the other days though :) Weight gain seems to have slowed too.  2 lbs in 5 weeks from my weigh in at OB today.  First trimester during the sugar party I put that on in 2 weeks :) 

Overall: feeling good.  I'm really enjoying feeling the baby move and being a little more happy and a little less worried all the time.  The baby will have days where it is less active and I start freaking out a little but overall its better than the first 18 weeks when you just have no idea whats happening in there.  I did find its heartbeat with my own little pediatric stethoscope yesterday - that was pretty cool :)  After listening to an interesting podcast about nutrient density I'm trying to make some better choices there too.  So, if 1 day a week I eat like $hit, meh, oh well.  I'll have sardines and oysters the other days to round it out!  Still exercising (the construction guys on my street stopped me mid workout today to ask what I was "training" for since they were so impressed with my workout (30 clean and jerks, 30 snatches, 30 overhead squats with 50 lunges after each movement).  I pointed to my belly and said labor.  The guy's eyes nearly popped out of his head.  I guess most preggos aren't doing barbell complexes in front of their house :blink:

Have you made that appointment yet...?  I don't even know how you find a good functional medicine person.  Word of mouth?  Do you know anyone else who would see a doc like that?  I don't...

Thanks for the update! This made me so happy for you! Glad your husband got to see the dance party -- these are the things you need to carry you through...it's so great for the men to have these moment too! And so glad for the good ultrasound news. 

And good attitude about the eating. No sense in beating yourself up at all...that babe is getting everything it needs - and probably more! I can only hope if we ever decide to bite the bullet (and start trying for a tiny human) I can be in half as good of shape and try half as hard to eat well as you have/do! I can only imagine! I used to get sucked in by the donuts at work ALL THE TIME. And they weren't even good. Stale, made from frozen...But it was a quick sugar rush and they were always sitting there. I don't know if they have the donut "holes" here but in Canada we had Tim-bits from Tim Hortons (obviously). Even if they were stale...yep...it would happen. I listened to a podcast yesterday where Melissa talks about stress and sugar cravings....it made all kind of sense. 

I haven't made the official appointment...but I think I found a clinic that will suit me. I happened to be listening to a podcast about eczema, and the Dr mentioned her clinic, and it's about an hour from me. They offer a free quick consult over the phone, so I did book that for Monday. I have mentioned functional medicine to a few friends and they looked at me like I had 3 heads, so no, can't rely on word of mouth! Lol. 

So pleased to hear that all is going well - I've been thinking (& worrying) about you during your absence!! I bought one of those little heart monitor thingies and it was an absolute god send for me - ok, so there was mild panic until I found that fast little beat each day, but when I did I could finally relax.... And I agree with J9er about the food - 5 out of 7 isn't bad, and if the 5 is pretty damned good then you're doing WAY better than most folk, and not just with your food....!!

Thanks ladies :)  I appreciate the thoughts - sorry I worried you!  If anything goes wrong I'll post it on here - but hopefully 16 more weeks and then a baby pic instead!

J9er - I hope that appointment proves to be worth the drive and that maybe they can help you pinpoint the more subtle changes you need to make to see the results you want!  Did you read/listen to the 2 latest podcasts on Marksdailyapple?  They were about thyroid issues.  From your subtle descriptions I sound like I'm sort of in the same boat as you weight-wise - despite W60s (in the past) not much weight loss - I never really looked like the athlete I was (not bad, just not super lean).  Went to see a regular endocrinologist and he said "your TSH is fine even though your T3 is low so you are fine".  The last two stories on MDA (and the book one of the guests has written) might be worth looking in to if you suspect that thyroid stuff might be underlying some of whats going on for you.  I was symptomatic besides the weight issue (cold, low HR, hair falling out, tired) and finally found a "progressive" doc to prescribe me Naturethroid and I lost about 5-6 lbs without changing diet and felt SO MUCH BETTER.  

Jmcbn - I have a lot of artificial food coloring from my first trimester to undo!  But I'm trying :) I am making an effort to eat less junky-junk - like Trader Joe's naturally colored jelly beans :ph34r: 

It is all so complex.  I listened to those today - man, it was an awesome explanation from that Dr about western Dr's "belief systems". It is SO TRUE. That's great you found someone progressive and willing to look at your symptoms. My mom is treated for her hypothyroid purely based on symptoms, but it took a year of being very ill and fighting with multiple Dr's to get there. She has luckily found an endo who works well for her and she works closely with a naturopathic dr. 

I think I'm going to have some work cut out for me with figuring out what is up. I just have a feeling it's not going to be cut and dry. But hoping to find some answers soon. Those podcasts gave me some reminders of things I want to look into for sure. I have this underlying fear that I'm making it all up, or I'm a hypochondriac or something :wacko: (even though I know that's not true either!)

There are lots of good tidbits out there in podcasts :) Glad to hear some of it may have planted a seed for some questions to ask :)

So today will be day 7 of decent-ish food choices.  I did eat a pint of Stonyfields Mint Chip frozen yogurt for dinner Wed night... but besides that good food.  Had fish twice this week (first time all pregnancy I hit that goal!). 

Had another little scare yesterday morning (this baby is going to be grounded until its 25 for all this nonsense!).  Usually hubs and I get up together.  We stay in bed and talk after the alarm until bubs says hello to dad with a little kick or squirm.  This has been the routine for 3-4 weeks now.  Yesterday hubs had to leave early for work so I was alone when I woke up.  No movement from bubs.  Rolled onto my stomach which always makes he/she move.  Nada.  Poked, shook, prodded my belly.  Nothing.  Got up, walked around, went to the bathroom, laid back down.  Still quiet in there.  Panic sets in.  Call hubs "baby isn't moving, its been 20 minutes".  I grab my stethoscope and think I hear something so I calm down a little.  Call my MIL (birthed 4, worked L&D) and sipped on my coffee.  45 minutes in little one finally starts moving - I'm hoping it was more my voice than the 1/2 caff coffee :) .  Geezy creezy.  Then last evening I got dehydrated (oops) and ended up with a string of braxton hicks which prompted a call to the on-call MD... Got some good medical advice to drink water (which I had done already).  BH subsided.  But baby made up for it this morning with a head/elbow/shoulder? poking through enough to bump up my abdomen and some significant dancing in there.  I love the feeling of it moving.  So cool :)

Related to the scare - when I overdo sugar the next morning I am totally lethargic.  I'm usually out of bed by 5 AM, even on my days off.  Post-sugar days I can sleep (fitfully) until 10 or 11 AM.  I'm wondering if bubs was affected too.  Sugar peaked overnight (he/she was wiggling after my 2 AM trip to the bathroom) but then bottomed out in the AM and thus was down for the count...?  So of course, this, in combination with stiff hands post dairy (sugar?) I've decided to start making my own coconut milk ice cream.  I made a vanilla one yesterday - 1 can coconut milk, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1/2 scraped vanilla bean, 25g sugar (supposed to help with consistency - next time I'm going to try date paste).  Holy moly, it was good.  Ate it last night with some cooked down frozen strawberries (my homemade jam).  And because it was frozen totally solid I could only scrape out about 1/4 of it which meant I only had one serving!  

And I'm going to buy this.  Good thing the Asian store sells Aroy-D for 1.39 a can :)

And for good measure, courtesy of Facebook :)

14238135_10154615144458117_8927412157161

Felt like bailing on goals this morning... but I didn't :)

2.5 mile walk with doggie #1 before the heat comes

garage workout (adapted from a paleomg home workout) - 21,18,15...3  of 25lb kettle bell swings, inclined push ups (dropped from ~2 ft to 1 ft once I got to single digits), single leg deadlifts at 45 lbs.  Holy butt burn.  

HB egg with mayo before and then spinach, onions, peppers with 2 eggs and 1 can of smoke oysters + grapefruit for breakfast.  

Feel way better for not deciding to suck this AM :)

That baby!!!! Stinker. It is certainly testing you and prepping you for what's to come while raising a child I suppose. 

Interesting thoughts about the sugar too. 

It is great you make the phone calls and get some reassuring answers  and advice to out your mind (somewhat) at ease. The time is ticking and babe is getting bigger and stronger each day, so excited for you. 

My husband added an icecream maker to our Christmas list because I am on an icecream buying strike. It is almost impossible to find icecream without carrageenan or soy lechicin, or both (and the ones I have found are over $6 a pint!) plus if it's in the house, we'll just eat it till its gone. 

I have been reading, love your updates ~  congrats on the baby .....  I have also lost a baby - and have had the scare of no movement!   Very very scary - I am amazed how strong you are !!  I think you are doing awesome.  Can't wait to hear when you have the baby.    Keep up the great work -  and remember  You are growing a person, don't be too hard on yourself.

Tina

• 3 weeks later...

How many weeks now??? How is work going? Are you planning on working right up until the end?

Every one and their dog is pregnant around me...it's crazy! Not sure if it's making me baby crazy...or scaring me. Probably a bit of both.

29 weeks today!  Officially in the third trimester... There are a lot of preggos near me too!  I've had a few mom's at work tell me that they aren't drinking the water at the hospital because all the nurses are pregnant :)  I'm planning on working as long as I can... I imagine I'll get pretty uncomfortable towards the end so I may change my mind but for now I'm thinking I'll work until just before Christmas (due New Years Day) - of course, recognizing that this little guy/gal may change my timeline :) 

So I've totally slipped back into the bad habit of NEVER eating breakfast before 10-11 AM (I'm usually out of bed by 6 at the latest, 5 on work days).  And my evening munchies are out.of.control.  I'm eating mostly compliant (except for a very processed food/sweets day once every 7-10 days...) so my munchies at night are all fruit... but still, its a habit I have broken (during a W30) and I definitely noticed that the evening munchies and the AM "fasting" do seem to be correlated.  I just *hate* eating at 6:30 in the morning before work.  I think I need to make a nice fatty frittata (so I don't need to bring extra mayo/guac) and just shove it in as I walk to work or something.  

I'll pop on over to your log and see how your adventures were!

30 weeks today!  Still not eating breakfast... reliably.  I am eating it at work (3 HB eggs, mayo, handful of roasted potatoes that I shovel in at huddle at 6:50AM or so).  But my days off... like 11 AM.  

Really good eating this week - no processed foods since last Friday - 9 days is probably the longest I've gone since getting pregnant!

Made a few new recipes this week that turned out great.

http://livinglovingpaleo.com/2015/10/21/spaghetti-meatball-casserole/ (I used the cheese)

http://agirlworthsaving.net/2012/04/gf-paleo-salmon-cakes-recipe.html (I baked, didn't fry - came out delicious!)

Tonight my MIL made 2 side dishes that turned out great.  One was spaghetti squash - she took butter, olive oil and garlic and heated that then poured it on the spaghetti squash.  I added a little S&P, red pepper flakes a a little grated parm.  Yummy.  The other was W30 compliant - green beans, sautéed in olive oil and garlic with just a splash of sesame oil and sliced almonds.  The sesame oil gave it this "what else did you put in here?" kind of taste without being at all overwhelming.  Really good.  

Still making the butternut squash/apple soup weekly.  

But tomorrow things may take a turn... we are getting our kitchen renovated.  We meet with the lead carpenter tomorrow morning to find out the details of the 2-3 week plan.  We did some bulk cooking and my neighbor said we can use her oven when we need to.  The freezer and fridge are in the garage - I have no idea how long we'll have an oven or sink... Our new stuff won't be delivered until Nov 2 so I hope they find a way to leave us the stove and sink as long as possible!

Lots of Chipotle, burgers on the grill and fruit for dinner I guess :) 

Still making it to the gym 2-3 times a week.  Trainer sessions are no longer happening (not worth the $ when I can't even see my feet!).  I belong to this powerlifting type gym - lots of men with biceps bigger than my head.  I've had a few of them stop to talk to me about how impressed they are to see me there doing my little workouts.  Its sort of touching :) Overall I'm super impressed with what I'm still able to do.  I managed 3x10 squats @85lbs a few days ago, went up on my 1 legged deadlifts to 50lbs today and did strict presses with 50 lbs for 3x8 this AM.  I feel so much better being able to stay active like I am.  My blood pressure is still 90-100/60s and my wedding ring still slips off and my ankles are still bony... so something is working with fluid shifting (or lack there of).  Maybe its genetic, maybe its hormonal, maybe its staying active... (certainly isn't eating related because I've eaten enough nasties this pregnancy to do some damage!).  

Woohoo! 30 weeks! That is SO awesome. I've said it before, but I still think you are doing great! Good stretches of good eating, exercise and other movement -- you are so much better off then a ton of pregnant people. 

My sister just found out she's pregnant and she was telling me it was like a switch flipped and her desire for white processed food is overwhelming. She's been eating Annie's Mac n cheese several times a week, and feeling so guilty. I told her if she can eat every other meal healthily, then why stress about it?  The body wants what it wants, in my opinion it's not worth the stress. That being said, I am not pregnant, and didn't just spend the last year getting my body wedding ready (she looked amazing) only to have that go out  the window. She's going to continue working with her trainer for now - probably good for motivation. 

I made some amazing short ribs for dinner yesterday. 

Browned 2.5 lb of ribs (they were really meaty), removed from Dutch oven. Then sautéed a few carrots, an onion and a shallot, 2 cloves of garlic for a couple minutes. Added salt, pepper, dried thyme. Added a good splash of balsamic vin and a good splash of red wine vin  and 3c bone broth. Add back in ribs and bring to boil, cover with lid and shove in the oven for 2 hours. 

Plated with mashed cauliflower seasoned with garlic, basil and red pepper flakes, sautéed yellow zucchini and a big spoonful of the juice/carrot/onion mixture. Really rich, stick to the ribs. Best thing I've made for awhile. 

That sounds delicious!  I've tried short ribs a few times now and they were so fatty I didn't enjoy them.  Like mouthfuls of fat.  When other people have ordered them out in restaurants (usually braised) they have been meaty and delicious but the ones I've gotten from our local farmer/rancher not so much.  Where did you get the ribs from - did you try to find leaner ones?  I cook with beef shanks all the time using my Instant Pot - I'll probably just try them with your seasonings next time.  I always cook down the remaining broth and puree the wilted onions/carrots/celery (what I usually use) into a gravy - no one is ever the wiser that their "gravy" is just pureed veggies!  

Congrats on your future aunt-hood!  When is her due date?  Will this be your first niece/nephew?  I hope she has as easy of a pregnancy as I have :) And that first trimester... its crazy.  NOTHING sounds good.  Well except for mac and cheese :)  I think working with the trainer is a great idea.  You don't have to modify much that first trimester.  And I think that movement is such a natural human "need" that continuing to workout in an "ancestral" way (so no running marathons or 90 minute spin classes - rather lifting heavy stuff, short sprint efforts here and there, lots of walking) is so good for moms-to-be.  

Unfortunately the day I posted that message my eating took a nose dive for 48 hours :( This is going to be a *tough* time of year to stay paleo... Halloween candy is out everywhere - there have been cakes and cupcakes daily at work - not counting the giant pumpkin filled with candy... But trying to get back on the wagon today for another 9 day stretch... you never know ;) 

The short ribs I got were from ShopRite. They have Natures Reserve grassfed meat from Australia. Yes these were super meaty, but they did have a fair amount of fat too. The braising really helped release all of the fat, so there were no mouthfuls of it while eating - that would totally turn me off too. I would have blended the veggies in except my hand blender broke - and I was too lazy to spoon everything into the food processor. I scooped about a cup of cold fat off the top the next day and have been using it for cooking. 

It is my baby sister's first pregnancy. My older brother has 2 kids, they are 11 and 14. He has lived in NJ for the last 20 years so until now I didn't get to see them that often. Now we are both here and our little sister is pregnant on the west coast. She is due sometime in June, she has her first ultrasound next week, so we should know more then. She has severe PCOS and even after months of temping, there was no indication she was ovulating, never had a period. They had been trying for over a year. She was getting ready to start a medication but was waiting until after the wedding....her honeymoon she just felt off....took a test when they got back and low and behold...lol. So I am super happy for her. 

I got her started on the healthy mama happy baby whole30 website just for some guidance, she's working out with the trainer, and seems to be feeling ok so far. If she can keep her anxiety in check I think she will do great! I am beyond excited, I wish I was closer to home :( 

Ugh, Halloween. I am not buying any candy. I don't think we get many kids trick or treating here and I think we'll just keep the lights off and the curtains closed. I know I can refrain, but I don't feel like having to white knuckle it...the only thing I will miss is Reese peanut butter cups and those smarties (we call them rockets in Canada), love those. 

I am finally doing my ACLS course Next week and starting to apply for jobs. I'm feeling so nervous because I haven't worked in almost 2 years, and I'm feeling so intimidated about where to apply, where would be the best place to work etc. It is just so different in Canada. Do you know anything about agency nursing? Do you think that would be a good way to get my foot in the door? Or should I try to just apply directly to hospitals? I would prefer to work per diem, or part time because I would like to keep night shifts to a minimum as well as weekends. I know being picky like that is not the best, but if I work a lot of weekends I would never see my husband, and if I work a lot of nights I might never get my health back...so I don't know....

I don't know much about agency nursing... I've only been a nurse for 2.5 years!  I have a friend who just left my hospital though to take an agency job.  She was hired for a 13 week stint as a admit/discharge nurse for an endoscopy unit at another local hospital.  I heard from a good friend of hers (who I work with) that as an agency nurse she is allowed to float whenever the hospital sees fit - and while a hospital float nurse is supposed to only switch units once (so an 8 then a 4 for a 12 hr shift) these agency nurses can apparently be floated 3 times within a 12 hour day (and no orientation to the different units).  No idea if any of that is true.  I'm a float pool nurse and I've been floated 3 times in 12 hours so that certainly ins't something prohibited at my hospital.  I think generally that agency nurses are hired for a ~13 week job in a shift - so you wouldn't randomly be assigned nights.  A lot of the NICU nurses I work with look at agency job postings because there are NICU agency jobs that pay twice what we make... they are all listed as day/night shift.  A few nurses have left for them and had ok things to say (usually in NYC).  Our NICU has a few agency nurses too - they seem to do ok and be reasonably happy.  One agency nurse stayed for 6 months instead of her 3 - so it couldn't be that bad :) 

If I were you I would apply to per diem jobs at a hospital.  Were you specialized (ICU, cardiac, etc)?  If you were I bet you could get a per diem job.  They might want you to do evenings or 11-11 from time to time but I bet with the number of hospitals in the NJ/NYC area you could find something.  I get the weekend thing though - when you have a spouse who does M-F it sucks :( But don't do nights.  They are just so bad for you (in my opinion, but I'm also up at 5 AM bright eyed and busy tailed and asleep by 8 PM!).  

The ShopRite near be does a sale on that Nature's Reserve whole tenderloins from time to time... $5/lb (50% off).  You have to get the 6-7 lb tenderloin but they'll slice it into serving sizes for you... holy tasty meat.  So good.  We've got about 5 lbs in the freezer right now!

• 2 weeks later...

32 and change... OB app't this AM.  32 week ultrasound on Friday - kinda nervous, hopefully its ok.  Belly was the right size this morning though the OB said :) 

Work has been sad lately - I have been mostly in the ICUs - mostly taking care of neurologically devastated kiddos - they are big now, mostly coming in with respiratory stuff going on - but the reason they are total care is because of birth defects, genetic defects, anoxic brain injuries at birth... and I'm having a harder and harder time keeping work and life separate.  A number of really sad cases too just in general.  Blah.  People always asked me when I went into pediatric nursing how I did it and for some reason I used to be able to not internalize all the suffering of these families and kids but being pregnant I've lost that ability.  

In other news, we are about halfway through our kitchen renovation.  The renovation has been a pain but I'm loving the progress.  We are going to double our storage space and counter space!  So excited :) Having the fridge out of the dining room and the microwave and new cabinets out of the living room will be nice too!

Eating wise.  I'm am on a mission for these last X (officially 7.5, but I guess bladder dancer decides for sure) weeks to eat better.  Like priming myself up for pushing out (hopefully!) this baby and healing from the delivery.  I've been overdoing the fruit/dried fruit/nuts a bit (consolation for not eating junk... I know, bad thinking...) BUT its food.  That comes from the ground and not a factory.  I'm hungry all.the.time. now too and that isn't helping - hunger has always been a trigger for sugar for me.  

Exercise wise.  Dropping off even more.  I went through some pretty bad back pain about 2 weeks ago until just a few days ago when it eased up a bit.  Saw my chiropractor (didn't help) and then my manual physical therapist (think it helped).  Getting in to lift maybe 2 days a week, trying to walk at least an hour on my days off.  The local golf course allows you to walk dogs off leash when they aren't open for golfing and they just closed for the season this Sunday - that will be a good for monster #1 and me - its a 2.7 mile loop with some decent hills.  Walking the city streets with him just isn't enough.  

Fingers crossed for the US on Friday, I'll hopefully be able to post a happy update again then :)

Yay! 32+, SO awesome! I'm sure your US will be great. 

I think at the end of this you will be able to look back and see that you have done the absolute best you can do, and that baby is going to be one lucky little one. 

Ugh. Sad work stuff sucks. I never worked with kids. I did a pediatric rotation in nursing school and the kids didn't bother me, but the parents did. They were just so fierce and hardened and rightfully so. But I couldn't deal with it. But I've had my share of really awful, sad work stuff, and it really does wear on you after awhile. At the same time, I found myself putting up huge defenses and feeling really cold hearted, but not in a good way.

How long do you think you'll stay home after baby is born? Hopefully you'll have a nice break. 

Looking forward to hearing about the U/S on Friday! 

I hear you on the defenses front - I think its the only way to see what some RNs see day in and day out and survive.  

I have had one bad parent experience.  Just this past week, it was my first angry parent.  But her world was just turned upside down, so whatever, she can treat me like crap and yell at me.  Its fine.  I don't take it personally.  I have *zero* expectations that parents in the hospital are "nice" to me (especially ICU parents). When your kid might not make it - treating others well is the last thing I'd expect parents to have the energy/focus/will power to do.  And when hospital care works the way it does (resident has to check with attending, pharmacy has to verify a med, blah blah blah) it must be super frustrating for parents and I get that.  Be mean, yell, cry, do what you gotta do.  I get it.  And I don't blame them.   I'm surprised at how infrequently parents take it out on me.  

• 3 weeks later...

35 weeks now.  Baby was almost 5 lbs at 32 weeks and MD said ~1lb weight gain every 2 weeks.  Which puts it at 6.5 or so now... My husband and I both have giant heads (well, not really, but we both need to buy size large for hats and bike helmets, so they are on the big side...) and I have now transitioned to the night-time crazies focusing on labor fears.  I got dehydrated one day last week and ended up with what I think was my first "real" contraction - it lasted about 10ish minutes.  My whole abdominal wall just tightened up.  It was uncomfortable, but not painful (so probably not a "real" contraction after all!) but what scared the bejeebers out of me was that when your whole midsection tightens up you can't take a deep breath - and since you are in pain and scared you want to take a deep breath... which makes you feel air hunger which is all together not pleasant.  I don't know why it never dawned on me that this would happen, but it was scary - I'm sure if I had a pulse oximeter on my finger my sats would have been fine... but feeling like you can't get the air you need... ugh.

I also have now joined the ankle-less club :) Overnight.  I went to bed Wednesday last week with ankles and woke up Thursday without them :) And I can't use my hands when I first wake up they are so swollen.  Walking seems to help.  I also went pretty low carb in an effort to diurese a little bit.  Seems to help.  Still managing to lift 2-3 days a week and walk most days... definitely on the downslope in terms of exercise, but still hanging in there.  The biggest hurdle now is that I'm so limited I just don't "like" the workouts I can do, so I'm just not super motivated to go workout.  I miss power cleans and snatches and heavy squats!  

Supposed to be rainy and gross here all day today - making bolognese sauce and some butter chicken to pass the day :) Oh, and our kitchen remodel is done.  LOOOOOOOOVE it.  

Here are a few pics :)

31172258152_81108d8493_n.jpg

30494465274_e80022daf8_n.jpg

31201481521_3cb3af5dcc_n.jpg

Looks amazing!!!!  Those appliances are stunning. 

Oh brother -- I can't even imagine what labor would feel like....I will be sending you all kinds of good labor vibesB)

When I saw you had posted photos I thought they would be of your ankles...or lack thereof :P.  

Have you and hubby gone to any birthing classes? I'm curious to know if those would help or make a person more anxious? 

Archived