Littleg reining it in

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

No, no birthing classes... because I'm crazy (because of the NICU) I wouldn't sign up ahead of time.  By the time I got to 32ish weeks and began to think I might actually make it to labor the classes were all full through the spring :/  I have a doula though!  So its all good.  And my MIL used to teach birth classes so if I have questions she'll answer them :)   I think hubs is best not going too - if he saw any birth videos... I'm not sure I'd get him in the delivery room.  He is old-farm-stock - and birth is one of those things that is best not talked about in detail :) He'll be a at-the-head-of-the-bed kind of support system.  

So after 5 days of low carb and still no ankles I'm eating fruit again :) Oh well.  I guess I can live without ankles for 5 more weeks!  I just hope they come back - from the knees down is the one place my body doesn't put on fat so I've always had really defined calves and ankles that weren't just a blend of foot and shin... I hope they come back!  Pitting edema practically up to my knees isn't pretty :(  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are set, doula and MIL with experience is great! Lol. I'm not so sure I could bring my self to drag my husband to one of those classes either. 

Have you tried compression stockings for the edema? I have a nice set I was properly fitted for. They make my feet crazy hot but I'm terrified of spider and Vericose veins so I religiously wore them at work and if my out fit permits, I wear them while traveling too. I got a pair of footless ones from REI too, not as good as the others, but still worth a shot?

And I'm sure they'll come back! I'm the same....nice legs and defined ankles not matter what size I am on top, would be so sad if I lost them :rolleyes:

I haven't tried the compression socks.  I figure its just me... to most people I still look like I have ankles (when I lifted up my pants to above my ankles to prove I had edema last week the OB said "oh, so no problems with swelling then" - I had to show him the pitting edema up the front of my shins because just eyeballing my legs he couldn't tell).  So, I'll save a few bucks and skip them.  If I worked on an adult floor and could snag a pair of TEDs I would but, we don't put them on the kiddos ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Blah.  Feeling disappointed this morning.  Been making some poor food choices lately in the name of 

(1) Its the holidays - I'm going to eat cookies/sweets/candy anyway

(2) I'm so puffy I might as well take advantage of being puffy and eat food that makes me puffy :rolleyes:

(3) My plan to eat better after delivery gives me a "deadline" to fit all the crap-eating in

Stoopid.  And I don't feel well because of the not-so-great choices that I make every other day.  Grumble, grumble.  

I got an intuitive eating book out of the library after almost buying Melissa's new book (but then reading not so great reviews about it online).  Think I might go build a fire and sit down with it for a while.  I've been looking at a woman's blog lately (http://www.emilyeatsrealfood.com) who did a few W30s and has now found this great balance of mostly W30 with bits of off roading when its worth it.  Jealous.  Right before getting preggers I was as close to that point as I ever had been and then pregnancy became a wonderful excuse to eat all.the.unfoods.... I don't know why I am having such a hard time not going so far off the rails lately that I can't even find the rails.  Lately every day has been a Day 1.  Until I eat ice cream and paleo fudge (at least if I'm going to eat fudge it won't be made of processed crap - that is a good reason to make it and have it around...:rolleyes:) and then Day 1 starts again the next day.  I wake up each morning wanting REAL food.  My frittata, fried potatoes, etc.  But each afternoon I just want all the goodies around.  I don't know why their pull seems so much stronger lately.  Sigh.  Ok, done whining :) 

On the baby front... 38 weeks 4 days now... its weird waking up each morning thinking: maybe I'll have a baby today :)  I keep reading forums for "labor is coming" signs - diarrhea, vomiting, mucous plug loss, etc.  Seems like (as usual) every woman is different - lots say they had no symptoms - contractions just started, others say they pooped their brains out (thus knowing labor was coming) then labor started.  I always got a pretty upset stomach when I got my period so I'm expecting that to happen for me - but who knows!  I've been seeing my manual physical therapist once a week for the last few weeks to keep my pelvis as mobile as possible for the big day.  Just got back from an appointment with him and he says things feel good and not constricted/restrained so my pelvis should be able to move as it needs to.  2 days ago it felt like my pubis symphysis was about to split apart so things are definitely loosening in there.  So I'm sure labor will be easy peasy :) Probably won't even notice it :lol:  Excited to meet this little guy or gal... and find out if it is a guy or gal.  If its a boy I'll definitely go back to baby Gap to buy this:

31766662626_f0875b910f.jpg

If you don't buy that shirt if it's a boy I'll buy it FOR you. Adorable. I am the biggest sucker for baby clothes. It would look cute on a girl too for that matter ;) 

38+4!!!!!!! So awesome. 

I'm probably not much help on the food front, except I know what that feels like and I know for me, I just have to get to my wits end or hit double rock bottom before I do something about it. I've been struggling a bit too....just not really eating enough, not putting in an effort to eat a proper post work out (if any), and although I haven't  gone off the rails and I generally feel good, I know it's not optimal. I did some gluten free baking last week, and while I'm not upset about eating it and I don't feel guilty, I just know I should be putting a real meal into my body before treats. And it's all just laziness on my part. There's my little vent. 

At least you're eating a good breakfast. At least you're starting each day with real food and giving yourself a fighting chance.

I know you know about template and portions but I have to ask -- are you eating enough? Or could you literally eat lunch and then dive into the treats?

Following bloggers I resonate with and some amazing women on social media who I really admire has really helped me over the past few months, but I see you're already doing that. 

If you weren't feeling unwell because of the choices I think I'd just say to let it go, and just go with the flow. But feeling like crap is no fun either....But here I am rambling and not being much help at all. 

Can't wait to hear about the birth and gender :) such an exciting time for you. 

Ps. now I can't stop thinking about fudge......

That fudge is good... if you are looking for something to bring so you have a dessert that is at least crap-free I highly recommend it!

https://elanaspantry.com/3-ingredient-fudge/

I made 1/3 of the recipe and used 50% 70% chocolate and 50% 85% (just because it was what was around).  I thought it was perfect, hubs thought it was a little too bitter.  I honestly made it thinking I'd bring it to Christmas at my in-laws so I had something indulgent that at least wasn't made with HFCS and artificial food coloring!  

In terms of eating too little - on some level that is always my problem... I eat too little in the AM and eat too much later.  My most successful W30 (felt best, actually lost weight) was when I ate M1 within ~1h of waking almost the whole time.  Left to my own devices I eat breakfast at 11 AM... and I'm usually OOB by 6 AM!  Even as a kid I just never ate breakfast - no appetite in the morning.  My best days are when I eat early.  There certainly are days when I could eat lunch and then go back for treats (while preggers, honestly sometimes this has happened because I am still truly hungry, even after a good M1 and M2 - I would have chosen good foods had they been available, but no one brings baby carrots and dump ranch into the nurse break room - just junk!).  But lots of times, no, if I hadn't skipped breakfast and eaten 1 meal by 3 PM I'd probably be happily satiated.   Totally hitting rock bottom has always been what has gotten me to do a W30... and I'm getting there.  But I also know that a lifetime of W30s isn't the answer... After I've healed up a bit from labor and am sleeping a bit I'm going to do another few sessions with that binge eating counselor - she helped me more than anything has - the time just isn't right right now and she's too pricey for not being able to really commit.  

And for you missy... eat your veggies before dessert! :) Or make pumpkin pie.  Then you solve both problems!

That shirt was pretty cute... :) They didn't have a girl version.  So I hope this kiddo has a penis!

I've really enjoyed reading this exchange so far. I was a PICU nurse for a long time, before taking a desk job, and often floated to the NICU. Wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy delivery. (And that shirt would look cute on a little girl, over black leggings).

Jill

3 hours ago, Silver Penguin said:

I've really enjoyed reading this exchange so far. I was a PICU nurse for a long time, before taking a desk job, and often floated to the NICU. Wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy delivery. (And that shirt would look cute on a little girl, over black leggings).

Jill

Wouldn't it though? Black leggings and one of those cute headbands. My brother in laws wife is pregnant and they know it's a girl. They have insisted on everything pink and grey right down to the car seat, the car seat is pink!!! The stroller is pink and grey!!! All of the clothes so far are pink! I would love to see some red on a little gal :) 

i might just have to buy that outfit for them :ph34r:

I was lying in bed last night and realized I hadn't asked you about your sister.  I assume if they are stocking up on pink then all is good so far?!  Hope so :)

I would have to get her little baby black Uggs though :)

Jill - thanks for the good wishes!  And thanks for being a PICU nurse - its a tough "long time" job!

I woke up last night to what (I think) was a real contraction.  Thought hubs might get his Christmas Eve baby after all... but that was the only one (if it was even one...?  It was *definitely* different (painful) than what I assume are Braxton Hicks and other just general uterine spasms). 

19 hours ago, J9er said:

Wouldn't it though? Black leggings and one of those cute headbands. My brother in laws wife is pregnant and they know it's a girl. They have insisted on everything pink and grey right down to the car seat, the car seat is pink!!! The stroller is pink and grey!!! All of the clothes so far are pink! I would love to see some red on a little gal :) 

i might just have to buy that outfit for them :ph34r:

My grand daughters are a year old, and 2 1/2 years old. Both have pale blue gray eyes. The older girl has blonde curls, while baby doesn't have enough hair yet to determine color and texture. Blues, lilac, purple and grays look awesome on them because of those eyes. For Christmas, the family did their photos in black or gray leather jackets, black or gray t shirts and dark jeans. They all looked awesome. Both girls are tomboys but they do wear girlie stuff sometimes.

On 12/24/2016 at 7:35 AM, littleg said:

I was lying in bed last night and realized I hadn't asked you about your sister.  I assume if they are stocking up on pink then all is good so far?!  Hope so :)

I would have to get her little baby black Uggs though :)

Jill - thanks for the good wishes!  And thanks for being a PICU nurse - its a tough "long time" job!

I woke up last night to what (I think) was a real contraction.  Thought hubs might get his Christmas Eve baby after all... but that was the only one (if it was even one...?  It was *definitely* different (painful) than what I assume are Braxton Hicks and other just general uterine spasms). 

Ohhhhh, I'm wondering if your contraction turned into a baby!!!! ??? I'm down here sending all the labor vibes. Can't wait to hear the news. 

Merry christmas! 

It's my sister in law and brother in law who are having the girl. They are 22 weeks along and all is well so far. Pink pink pink, and loving the excitement for their little girl. 

My sister is 17 weeks now and all is well so far. Her nerves have settled down, she's not nauseated any more and spends her days off (she's a nurse too) reading about all the best baby stuff. She's coming to visit in February and I'm so excited to get to see her little belly. They are planning to find out the gender -- so that GAP shirt is hopefully still in order :) 

And if it's a girl all the pink too. I'm gonna go broke with all these new nieces and nephews showing up. 

Anyways, hope you are either giving birth or relaxing and enjoying your Christmas holidays with family! 

Well baby g won't have to share its birthday with Christmas.  That came and went.  Baby still hanging out moochin' off of me :) 

Too many cookies and candies yesterday... oh boy heartburn and reflux today :( My sister in law is preggo and having terrible heartburn.  I only have it the day after eating processed foods (so all the goodies - gluten, soy, preservatives, etc) and often too many (so hard to interpret if its over consumption or poor ingredients).  She just pops her Prilosec and deals with it but I wonder if diet is somehow related...?  

On the bright side hubs has not worked out since his Spartan race in September and has put on a bit of a matching physique as the baby has done for me.  He is totally ready to clean up his eating and get back into a workout routine too - so aside from the whole newborn thing (:blink:) getting an early start on getting ourselves back to some healthier more nourishing choices around here.  

Ugh, heartburn is terrible. I would not doubt it is fully diet related for your SIL, same thing happens to me after indulging. I took pantoloc  a couple years ago for chronic heart burn and I think it totally exacerbated my stomach issues d/t acid reduction. 

We spent Christmas Eve out on the AT with friends at Rauche gap shelter in PA. 11 easy miles in and 6 downhill miles out and lovely weather made for a nice time. We got home to realize I forgot to take out the ham so we ate spaghetti I had in the freezer and giant bowls of dairy free ice cream....we'll have our Christmas dinner tonight with left over cashew cheese cake from hubs bday :)

Just think, you have a real baby in your belly. Full size! So cool. Enjoy these last days if you can and keep your feet up!! If it were me I would probably be unable to think about anything but impending labor, but hopefully the holidays are distracting you. 

I'm glad your super cool Christmas went well!  I was telling my husband that I'd love to do a Christmas like that - away from the gluttony and presents and stuff - just get out there.  Good for you for doing it!

Its hard to forget about the full size baby in there - trust me ;) I almost had to ask for help to put on my sneakers this morning... My feet are so swollen (likely worse from the food yesterday) that I could barely shove my feet into my shoes and bending over to hold onto the sneakers was nearly impossible this morning!  And labor is on my mind too - I'm terrified but at the same time want it to happen because now that I'm 39 weeks the longer I go (a) the bigger this kiddo gets and (b) the chance of needing to be induced increases which I do NOT want... so off to the trampoline park I go ;)

Thought baby might be on his/her way last night - but turns out I think it was residual GI pain from the Christmas goodies... Sigh.  All that pain that I thought was upper uterus cramping... I think it was intestinal - I forgot my intestines/stomach are squished under my ribs right now!

Baby was pretty active last night and this AM - I keep telling it it will have much more room to wiggle out here with us... but it won't listen.  Practicing for being a teenager I guess.  

One could argue all those goodies were necessary to get you prepped for labor pains ;).  I'm still thinking about fudge, and thankful I don't have any chocolate on hand to bake with.

It's crazy how your babe is nearing the 2016 end. They will either be the youngest kid in 2016 or the oldest in 2017! Crazy. 

Did your husband take time off work? Or is he waiting till you go into labor? 

How's your weather up there?? It's 60 degrees here today and raining. My hometown on the west coast is getting hammered with snow and winter storms.....here I am, in balmy winter weather for the second year in a row. Although it isn't stopping me from being curled up under a blanket on the couch for the past 2 days. 

4 hours ago, J9er said:

I'm still thinking about fudge

Sorry to have planted that seed!  

I do think it would be pretty cool to have a 1/1/17 baby...!

It was 47 according to my car earlier but its supposed to cool off again I think.  I know there is some snow in the forecast this coming week.  Couch time is always good!  As long as it isn't always... ;)   It was warm here yesterday too but damp and gray.  We slept until 8:30 (unheard of...) then watched TV/read around 3 PM for a bit.  Hubs then got motivated and went for a run and I took a nap :)  I did take monster #1 for a 3 mile walk earlier in the day though.  I do admit... I'm going to miss this very low key exercise routine I've got going...!  Well, more like I'll miss being ok with a very low key exercise routine!  

Hubs is working.  He does commercial HVAC repair work and "travels" each day in the sense that he doesn't go to the same place everyday.  Some of his contracts are 2+ hours away, others are in places with no cell service.  About a week ago he told work that he wouldn't go more than 60 minutes from home or someplace with bad cell service.  He'll take some time when baby g arrives.  

@ExpatElle - thanks!  Hope you are doing well!  I see you are 17 weeks - moving along :) 

Two good meals today!  Usual breakfast casserole with mayo, an apple after the gym and then ham (had some sugar in the cure, but that's fine with me) with sprouts with some strawberries and coconut cream.  Feeling so much better even just 48 hours post junk :) 

31802064491_0b9a65aa16.jpg

I have been contracting a lot today.  Nothing painful, sometimes I'm not even sure if its contractions or the baby doing handstands and pushing up but the top of my bump will triangulate... Pelvis is achey too.  Contractions got worse while at the gym but the pelvis ache went away and the contractions have now stopped too.  Even at 39w3d working out makes me feel better.  Goes to show how important movement is to humans (IMHO).  As I get really close to the end each day feels just a little different and I keep wondering "is this the beginning...?".  Nervous, excited, scared... 

OB app't this morning.  Right before I left I had to pee.  Just as I was about to stand up there was a pop and I *thought* I felt some fluid leak out.  Midwife checked me though... not my water breaking.  I *really* thought that was it.  So onward we go.  No other exciting news at the app't.  Heart rate was good.  If I'm still pregnant for my next app't (which will be 40w4d) they'll do a non-stress test.  At 41 weeks they do an ultrasound and start offering pitocin to induce if I want it (which right now I don't, but pregnancies get riskier as you get to 42 weeks).  Hoping to not make it to next week's appointment!

Food was good today - frittata and mayo eaten in the car after app't.  Lunch was butternut squash soup, egg salad (2 eggs), last of the Christmas ham and turkey (which got put in the soup).  

31567503530_bcc593a3c5.jpg

Love my new Orvis bowls.  They were 60% off!  I have old leather ski poles just like those (from my grandparents - who skied before ski lifts - bless them!) - we use them to keep the dogs off the sofa!  

I asked for chickens for Christmas this year.  And Santa came through!  I read about them in The Dorito Effect - modern chickens have literally had the flavor bred out of them.  There are a few places where you can order chickens that are still "chickens" (heritage breed, they can walk around, eat bugs, etc).   This is what Santa brought.

https://joyce-farms.com/pages/poulet-rouge-fermier   

Holy moly delicious.  You could totally taste a difference.  So good.

31832487972_e1db4be987.jpg

Such a great Christmas gift. Looks amazing!! I would have been so pumped for that gift.

I do buy pastured chickens and I can definitely taste the difference, but the ones I buy are still fed some corn and soy moreso in the winter I think. They have made the best bone broth too - literally gels up solid.  Definitely can't overcook though, yikes, unless dry and stringy (but still tasty) is your thing. The supermarket chicken you can cook the heck out of and it will be fine....kinda crazy. 

The place we've been ordering from has been out, so we've been eating a LOT of venison. 

I see that place has a breed of birds from France, I bet they are similar to poulet de Bresse, best chicken I have ever eaten in my life. 

Mom got acupuncture this morning to try to get things going... Baby seems to be ignoring requests for a timely departure :) 

Where do you guys get your chicken from?  It is tough to find decent poultry near me.  Even the "good" stuff at our coop is still not a heritage breed like these.  My husband's uncle raised a small flock a few years ago... he ordered fryers - once they were full size they couldn't even really walk - their breasts were so big.  Sad.  You *have* to read Dorito Effect - I really think you'd like it!

I order an organic veggie box from Door to Door Organics. It might be available in your area too. Anyways, they also have grass fed and pastured meat available. The chicken comes from Locust Point Farm in PA.  I find the price to be ok. I think I pay $11-12 for about a 3.5-4.25lb bird, not cheap but certainly on par with pastured prices. They don't have those big breasts either and are kind of petit looking.

I find the veggies to be really good quality and the company provides really good customer service. I had a bunch of asparagus that wasn't up to par so they immediately credited my account and our last box I thought the zucchini were way too small (and not labeled as such), so again they credited my account, no questions asked. If I really shopped around I could get better deals but I don't have a close by Whole Foods to shop sales and I find the selection at wegmans and shoprite to be terrible a lot of the time. I kind of like the box idea as I just get what I get and have to be inventive, and I like trying to be a seasonal eater. I was also getting burned out of driving around to a million different stores. And they DELIVER. Lol. 

They sell wild salmon at a fair price as well. 

I haven't tried the beef or pork but did order some pork sausage that was amazing. 

Archived