Slow Roll Reintroduction - Eric Rau

It's been a while since I've updated - I remained mostly compliant and continued feeling great and headed in the right direction until a long business trip that started two weeks ago.

I was out of town October 31-November 11, and was extremely erratic in my Whole30/Food Freedom Forever compliance. I did not have a rental car and was lodged in an area one of the members of my work group characterized as a "food desert," but was still able to get a ride to a store to do some grocery shopping of compliant ingredients (grass fed beef, kale, avocados, compliant Primal mayo, etc.) to cook in my suite at the Residence Inn. I had brought a stash of Epic Bars for emergencies and was fully compliant on some days, but also ate wonderful, "worth it" off-plan food - local specialties in particular - at some amazing restaurants on other days. That part would be fine - in keeping with working my Food Freedom Forever plan. That's what I was supposed to be doing.

The problem with my eating on this trip was that - in part caused by my not having a lot of control over my schedule and hours, the remote hotel location, limited transportation access except for Uber (I am now a huge fan), and trying to manage my workload in the face of shifting assignments and priorities, I made a lot of bad choices and ate some really lousy foods from the little kiosk market next to the hotel's front desk over the 12 days I was there (Hot Pockets, DiGiorno individual pizzas, Fritos, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Diet Coke, etc.). It was a pretty stressful trip anyway, and I didn't improve on the situation by stress-eating junk and feeling bad physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Apart from returning home to Tucson late Friday night feeling sluggish, bloated, and out-of-sorts with a fully reawakened Sugar Dragon, I weighed myself and measured myself yesterday morning and was saddened and disgusted with that additional consequence of bad eating. I've been partly compliant since my return.

My husband also went off track during my absence and has experienced a lot of the same adverse consequences. He and I are both eager to go back to feeling great. So we're  going to stock our refrigerator and pantry with our W30 faves and will start a Whole10 tomorrow (Monday, November 14) to reset ourselves and then move forward again. This cycle - staying on track, then slipping (or leaping) off track, then resetting ourselves and getting back on track - is what Melissa Hartwig discusses in "Food Freedom Forever" and we know that it's normal to have had this bad experience and that the Whole10 reset is the right way to get back on track (and if he or I feel like it needs to be a Whole15 or even longer, then we'll do that). Moving forward - we will learn from the experience and keep moving forward in the right direction...

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, franna327 said:

Check out this blog post on work trips / the downsides of Whole 30. Offers a lot of good advice. 

[link removed by moderator]

That blog is not the best source of information, particularly if one has issues while on a Whole30. The best resource is right here, in the troubleshooting, travel, athletes and other forums where they can get expert advice from the mods.

Just some of my criticisms of the blog:

• Anyone can read the ingredients and nutritional information on an Rx bar and understand that they are a total sugar bomb and a poor source of protein. As such they are a poor source of nutrition and should be reserved for a true emergency. Travel is not an "emergency" when its planned and there are tons of strategies for how to successfully manage Whole30 while traveling. 
  • Eating non-compliant deli meats and non-compliant bacon IS a big deal and if you are doing that you are not doing a Whole30.
  • There are many people who don't drink, for all kinds of reasons. Learning to own one's food/drink choices and still be "social" is an essential life skill which Whole30 will help you develop, not a "downside."
  • There's no reason for food boredom, especially at breakfast, also known as "Meal 1." No one has to eat eggs for meal 1 and again, the forums are full of ideas.

If this is your blog, I understand that you are just sharing your experience and I'm glad you learned from your experience. I hope you'll continue to learn from these forums and the Whole30 site.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, franna327 said:

Check out this blog post on work trips / the downsides of Whole 30. Offers a lot of good advice. 

[link removed by moderator]

@franna327 - we cannot leave up links on a blog post that specifically tell people not to worry about the ingredients in their food or if they are being Whole30 compliant for the duration of their program. If that's how you wish to operate your Whole30, that's completely fine but we won't promote that as "good advice" for others.

Archived