Probiotics/digestive enzymes?

Terri822

Fermented foods like sauerkraut (provided it's not been pasteurised) and Kombucha will provide up to 100 times more probiotics than a probiotic supplement and they're less costly. If you aren't seeing any benefits from the probiotic supplement I'd be inclined to start looking to add in more fermented foods...

I only ever tried a digestive enzyme when I was having problems with bloating, which subsided entirely once I removed the foods that were causing it.

What digestive issues are you having?

Ok thanks! I'll try more fermented foods. I've been having constipation / bloating ect for years but I can seem to stay regular lately with calm before bed & adding a stool softener . I def had leaky gut / food allergies a few years ago and I'm sure that's probably still the issue but it's not nearly as bad. I was a professional figure competitor for many years until I had my first child 3 years ago and I think that lifestyle / eating really really messed my gut up so I'm hoping it gets better with the whole30 ! I've been doing paleo for six months and just started cutting out the last bit of stuff to make my diet whole30. Initially the constipation got worse but I found adding resistance starch from green plantains help.... Also- I'm not sure if my body isn't use to the extra avocados / fats or the different foods like buttercup squash , sweet potatoes ect because I'm extra bloated and retaining a ton of water .. ?

I am a big fan of Garden of Life Raw Enzymes.  Other than the enzymes and probiotics, the bottle I have has other ingredients:  Vegetable cellulose and Saccharomyces cerevisiae (a species of yeast), which I believe are compliant.

Ok thanks! I'll try more fermented foods. I've been having constipation / bloating ect for years but I can seem to stay regular lately with calm before bed & adding a stool softener . I def had leaky gut / food allergies a few years ago and I'm sure that's probably still the issue but it's not nearly as bad. I was a professional figure competitor for many years until I had my first child 3 years ago and I think that lifestyle / eating really really messed my gut up so I'm hoping it gets better with the whole30 ! I've been doing paleo for six months and just started cutting out the last bit of stuff to make my diet whole30. Initially the constipation got worse but I found adding resistance starch from green plantains help.... Also- I'm not sure if my body isn't use to the extra avocados / fats or the different foods like buttercup squash , sweet potatoes ect because I'm extra bloated and retaining a ton of water .. ?

I tend to opt for resistant starch too in the form of cold boiled potatoes.

Re the avocados, squash & sweet potatoes - are you familiar with the term FODMAPs?? If not you might want to have a read at >this<... 

That's a good idea to try boiled potatoes.. What variety do you use? Maybe I'll try to make a cold potato salad. I assumed the water retention was due to starch / sugar so I'm sure it may be the fructose! Hopefully I'll eventually be able to eat them. Weird it doesn't happen if I dice and bake in coconut oil .. But I also only eat a few bites then usually.. I also seem fine with the chips.

Archived