Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

Glad so many are on this thread!!  Breakfast and lunch and healthy snacks done no problem (feeling much too accomplished for 10 hours down with no cheating), prepped dinner in crockpot ready to go.  I'm following the Whole30 meal plan from http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/09/whole30-meal-plan-week-1/

with a few modifications/additions .  

Bacon (had to go to Whole Foods to find compliant bacon, not cheap but very tasty, will be a treat) and eggs for breakfast, nice and easy.

I miss my coffee creamer so much - did coconut oil in the coffee and put in too much, was really "greasy" for a drink, which is weird.  Maybe I'll just start to give up coffee? Never thought I'd do that, but turns out I may have been drinking it for the creamer :/

The Chicken Bacon salad was delicious for lunch, hoping the Minestrone Soup comes out of the crockpot and tastes as good as it smells.

Also, saw this link on FB for a "Tasty" recipe (those little food videos that make stuff look so easy) - looks amazing and seems compliant, can't wait to try it!  Roasted Veggie Salad with avocado dressing - looks pretty easy!  http://bzfd.it/28SbQuJ

One day almost done, folks, keep it up! :)

Kelley

HI Kelley - if it turns out that you want to keep the coffee, try adding some compliant almond or coconut milk. I add a little cinnamon and ginger to mine with my coconut milk and I've learned to like it :)

Betsie

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone! I started my Whole 30 today. Before I go to bed I just wanted to say hi. Up until a couple of weeks ago I was vegan and doing a well known plant based no oil meal plan for about 3 years. I kept having stomach problems and thought for some silly reason it was the meat I would nibble occasionally off my husband's plate! Also, my depression seemed to get worse instead of better. After reading some of A Mind of Your Own and It Starts With Food I am beginning to see where the source of my problems lie. I hope that this 30 days gives me more insight. I was a bit fatigued today but I heard that comes with the territory! Best of wishes Everyone!!! :D

Also, this is my 1st Whole 30 and I just turned 55! I want to be in the best health/shape of my life. So far, so good. I found a reasonably priced  organic farm about 45 minutes from me in Tennessee with pastured beef, lamb and chicken, plus great eggs. It's run by a young family with 9 kids!! So cute! They make their own Non-GMO feed and they are just great people. Beats the $30 chicken I saw at another upscale farm store by a landslide! Tell me how do you stay on budget? I am anxious to know what your plans are?

I have read the Whole 30 book, and have done the Whole 30 twice in the past. Beginning when I was pregnant and with our son 4 years ago, I ate Paleo and very clean. However, this spring and summer I have gotten way off track with my eating and my working out. I had surgery last spring on my left leg. After surgery, I overcompensated with my right leg and as a result have been dealing with a pulled piriformis and hamstring muscle and pinched sciatic. In short, my running and workouts have decreased and I have felt discouraged and have been eating food I normally would never have eaten. I am married and we have one son. I am a high school teacher and I want to be a good role model to my students and for my family. I am ready to do this!

JAWsmom, on 16 Jul 2016 - 8:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Hello! I am starting my first W30 on the 19th with a reluctant husband and 3 kids that will need non compliant meals. All advice and tips welcome, it's a little overwhelming!

My suggestion is try to use the same ingredients as much as possible for the meal you are having for yourself so there will not be as much extra work to do. Also suggest that at least one or two meals per week will be compliant and you would like to have your family try them in support of you. Who knows maybe they will join in more often than once or twice per week.

-------------

Hi,

Glad to be joining the group and finding this thread. I am a Consultant so my days are long and change often. I am living near Kansas City and this is my first Whole30. My friend and I are starting July 21st and I am starting to plan my meals.

I am very excited and hope that excitementlasts. I will miss cheese and the one teaspoon of Stevia in my coffee in the morning. I don't have a problem with sugar much. I gave up soft drinks about 2-3 years ago, skip desserts most of the time, but when "dieting" I find cravings for what I cannot have pop up sometimes. It must be psychological since I normally am fine and do not have cravings when not restricting them. Another concern I have is that I eat small meals since I tend to get full very fast. I hope I can eat as much as what is required and not feel so full that I get that overly stuffed and sick feeling.

Looking at the recipes I am excited to be trying something different. A lot of them look amazing.

Happy to join forces and support everyone. Looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing too.

Talk soon.

D.

HI Kelley - if it turns out that you want to keep the coffee, try adding some compliant almond or coconut milk. I add a little cinnamon and ginger to mine with my coconut milk and I've learned to like it :)

Betsie

Brilliant - don't know why I didn't think of this, thanks for the reminder! Coffee this morning was much better :) 

Hi All - I was going to start Wednesday but I bumped it up a day to do it with a group more. I'm 39 and kind of doing this as a pre-40 "get my health in gear" thing. Plus, I own a business, have 4 young kids and that requires a lot of energy (I haven't had in a long time,) I've tried to kill the sugar beast but haven't done it...yet. 

Good luck everyone. 

Also, this is my 1st Whole 30 and I just turned 55! I want to be in the best health/shape of my life. So far, so good. I found a reasonably priced  organic farm about 45 minutes from me in Tennessee with pastured beef, lamb and chicken, plus great eggs. It's run by a young family with 9 kids!! So cute! They make their own Non-GMO feed and they are just great people. Beats the $30 chicken I saw at another upscale farm store by a landslide! Tell me how do you stay on budget? I am anxious to know what your plans are?

Hi! Sounds like you are off to a great start and I'm interested to know how your transition from veganism to W30 turns out for you.

Paleo/W30 on a budget is not as hard as it seems. I figure that the money I used to spend on bread, cereal, crackers, milk, cheese, etc. now goes to quality protein and organic veggies (I usually only get the dirty dozen organic). If you google "Paleo on a Budget" or "Whole 30 on a Budget" you'll find many resources that might help.

Cheers! Betsie

My meal plan had me eating ground beef for breakfast today and THAT IS SO NOT HAPPENING! I am eating a banana with almond butter on it, a coffee, and a glass of almond milk. I've had some muscle soreness since late yesterday afternoon. 

Yeah, it takes time to be able to get to eating like that in the morning, especially if you're not a breakfast person to begin with. For my whole first year, I just had fried eggs and bacon/sausage. Boring but I could eat it in the morning. You have to go with what you generally like already and what is realistic to your lifestyle or it just becomes too hard to maintain. Just try to get protein, fat and carbs (PFC) in with every meal and you won't feel hungry 10 minutes later. :)

Betsie

Yeah, it takes time to be able to get to eating like that in the morning, especially if you're not a breakfast person to begin with. For my whole first year, I just had fried eggs and bacon/sausage. Boring but I could eat it in the morning. You have to go with what you generally like already and what is realistic to your lifestyle or it just becomes too hard to maintain. Just try to get protein, fat and carbs (PFC) in with every meal and you won't feel hungry 10 minutes later. :)

Betsie

I regret not buying bacon at whole foods sunday! At least that sounds kinda feasible for me in the morning. Thanks for the encouragement Betsie.

• Administrators

My meal plan had me eating ground beef for breakfast today and THAT IS SO NOT HAPPENING! I am eating a banana with almond butter on it, a coffee, and a glass of almond milk. I've had some muscle soreness since late yesterday afternoon. 

Keep trying.  Chicken thighs may be more palatable to you in the morning or maybe salmon salad? A pork burger dipped in guacamole or mayo with roasted veggies is a nice choice. Chicken salad with lots of pickles, apple, pumpkin seeds and homemade mayo?  How about some scrambled eggs topped with sauerkraut over some steamed brocoli? This is my absolute favourite meal of all time!

I understand that what you are eating today is a result of trying to have a compliant breakfast and not succeeding on that first go-round, I get that. But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that this is not an ideal combination going forward and that the drinking of almond milk is highly discouraged.  You really want to try and get protein, veggies and fat into your first meal and all of that should be eaten before you have coffee as coffee is an appetite suppressant.

Give it another go tomorrow!  And don't be surprised if you find yourself starving later today and cravings being high later in the afternoon. That would be a result of undereating at this meal and also eating something higher in sugar first thing in the morning.  If you are hungry later, try and have a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

After running two marathons last year,  I've fallen completely off the wagon and I'm a mess. I went vegetarian and gained nearly 30 lbs. Bad idea. My running coach recommended the Whole 30 diet since I believe I am sensitive to certain types of foods (which hasn't stopped me from eating them). 

I ordered the book an paid my $14 to join the online groups. The book won't arrive for a few days so here I am searching for some ideas of what to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. I'm really short on time so I'm a little annoyed with the lack of easy access to some type of starter program for the first few days. Just give me some ideas of what to eat. I don't have the time to research if a hot dog with mustard (no bun) is acceptable. Doesn't seem like it, but hey, it's a protein right? Any guidance would be much appreciated.  

• Administrators

After running two marathons last year,  I've fallen completely off the wagon and I'm a mess. I went vegetarian and gained nearly 30 lbs. Bad idea. My running coach recommended the Whole 30 diet since I believe I am sensitive to certain types of foods (which hasn't stopped me from eating them). 

I ordered the book an paid my $14 to join the online groups. The book won't arrive for a few days so here I am searching for some ideas of what to eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. I'm really short on time so I'm a little annoyed with the lack of easy access to some type of starter program for the first few days. Just give me some ideas of what to eat. I don't have the time to research if a hot dog with mustard (no bun) is acceptable. Doesn't seem like it, but hey, it's a protein right? Any guidance would be much appreciated.  

Welcome! First, do you mean that you paid $14 for the daily emails? There is no sanctioned "online group" that charges any sort of fee.

The most popular resources are linked in my signature below.  You can basically eat any protein you like combined with 1-3 cups of veggies and a fat source.  On the hot dog you would want to read the ingredients to make sure that it doesn't contain any non-compliant stuff.  I believe Applegate has a compliant hot dog but again, you'd have to read the label of the one in your hand.

There are tonnes of available resources with all sorts of easy access but we don't have anything outlining specifically what you are supposed to eat at every meal because you are free to eat whatever you like providing that it is within the rules of the Whole30 (ie, doesn't contain grains, dairy, alcohol, sugar etc). There is definitely some personal responsibility and ownership required.

There are a few free meal plans available on Mel Joulwan's site with recipes and weekly cookup information, that might be a good start for you?

My first week is designed to be easy and consists of:

eggs

Bacon (although only could find "no sugar added" Bacon at whole foods)

Hamburger

Lots of veggies (peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli)

Nuts to snack on (have them stashed at my desk, in the kitchen, in the car to immediately eat whenever I start to get hungry and think about "bad" foods)

Apples, bananas, lots of berries

Chicken

Salads - mixing my own vinegar/oil/salt/pepper dressings 

Guacamole with crunch jicama or carrots to eat

Almond butter (spread on apples for quick snack)

The "steam in microwave" bags of veggies are super easy and quick and are filling!

I'm avoiding all mainstream condiments, easy to see on the label if there's any corn syrup, sugar, etc.  French's yellow mustard is fine, but  Dijon and honey mustard are out due to wine/sweetener contents.

Good luck!

My first week is designed to be easy and consists of:

eggs

Bacon (although only could find "no sugar added" Bacon at whole foods)

Hamburger

Lots of veggies (peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli)

Nuts to snack on (have them stashed at my desk, in the kitchen, in the car to immediately eat whenever I start to get hungry and think about "bad" foods)

Apples, bananas, lots of berries

Chicken

Salads - mixing my own vinegar/oil/salt/pepper dressings 

Guacamole with crunch jicama or carrots to eat

Almond butter (spread on apples for quick snack)

The "steam in microwave" bags of veggies are super easy and quick and are filling!

I'm avoiding all mainstream condiments, easy to see on the label if there's any corn syrup, sugar, etc.  French's yellow mustard is fine, but  Dijon and honey mustard are out due to wine/sweetener contents.

Good luck!

Oh yeah - this page has a great chart of meal plans for weeks 1-4, i'm changing up a few things but going by this b/c I'm too lazy to think of my own meals!  I like having a "coach" tell me what to do :)

http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/09/whole30-meal-plan-week-1/

Like everyone else will say too - meal prep and planning are key - just have lots of "good" foods on hand and meal prep if you can... 

Keep trying.  Chicken thighs may be more palatable to you in the morning or maybe salmon salad? A pork burger dipped in guacamole or mayo with roasted veggies is a nice choice. Chicken salad with lots of pickles, apple, pumpkin seeds and homemade mayo?  How about some scrambled eggs topped with sauerkraut over some steamed brocoli? This is my absolute favourite meal of all time!

I understand that what you are eating today is a result of trying to have a compliant breakfast and not succeeding on that first go-round, I get that. But I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that this is not an ideal combination going forward and that the drinking of almond milk is highly discouraged.  You really want to try and get protein, veggies and fat into your first meal and all of that should be eaten before you have coffee as coffee is an appetite suppressant.

Give it another go tomorrow!  And don't be surprised if you find yourself starving later today and cravings being high later in the afternoon. That would be a result of undereating at this meal and also eating something higher in sugar first thing in the morning.  If you are hungry later, try and have a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.

I ended up eating my beef/squash/tomato sauce recipe from the whole30 book at 9:30am, 2.5 hrs after I woke up. You're right, I was very hungry. Better late than never!

Hi everyone! Happy Day 2!!! How's it going so far?

I ran out of time on Sunday to meal prep and shop, but luckily I had something on hand to make a compliant breakfast similar to the first one on the 7 day meal plan. Then most of the daytime was spent picking up groceries, putting them away, and meal prepping for the rest of my meals for the day. The good news is that I made it through the day without any slip ups in the nutrition area.  I made the spaghetti squash/meat sauce/homemade sauce meal and it was very easy and it was delicious. In fact, my 2 & 4 year olds would not leave me alone and kept stealing bites! This morning was leftovers with a fried egg on top, and again - they were all in my plate!! So they had the rest of the left overs for breakfast LOL

I had planned to go cold turkey on coffee for the 30 days because I didn't think I could deal with anything other than half and half and some sort of sweetener in it. BUT I was so tired this morning and desperate, that I tried a Whole30 compliant recipe online. I brewed my coffee as normal, added 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 2 Tablespoons of Coconut milk and blended it in my Ninja. I was skeptical, but I gave it a try and I actually LOVED it. I am so happy that I can still have my coffee! I think my husband and kids will appreciate it too!  :D 

Hey everyone, I'm Allison from Maryland and I started today, too. I'm excited to see so many other people starting at the same time! I woke up this morning and suddenly felt like I'm not as prepared as I need to be, but I keep reminding myself that I don't have to make complicated food and that it's possible to eat salad for lunch :) I made sure to tell a LOT of people that I'm doing this, so hopefully it'll keep me motivated to follow through. I'm lucky enough that my fiancee agreed to do it with me (with one exception) so I'm going home today and shoving all non-compliant food to the dark back corner of the pantry. 

Hi! I'm from MD also - what part?

My wife kind of does the same thing with our 4. I'd say food prep is most important for her. Meatballs are good for sugar cravings. She also likes big hearty cob like salads. Making it before you're in the middle of a craving is key.

Hi I'm Casey.  I actually started Sunday the 17th -after about 3 failed attempts at Day 1   ;)   - but I just now found this thread.  I've already read through a lot of the posts on the forum about others' journeys, successes, pains and frustrations and feel that is what is going to help keep me going. 

I already eat mostly clean meals when I eat at home, and know in my head all kinds of nutrition and healthy eating info,  but tend "supplement" with a lot of junk food and fast food.  So far though, eating W30 meals I have not been hungry at all and very little cravings, but I have been tired, achey and depressed.  Today (day 3) feels like it's going to be better.  

Hi Everyone,

Day Two!

Is this our thread for the entire 30 days? It'll just keep getting longer and longer?

I spent the morning cooking

-beef and mushroom chili

-roasted baby potatoes (red, white, yellow)

-roasted cauliflower

I feel pretty solid for today. I really want some gum, though.

Shopping yesterday was more challenging than I'd anticipated. I spent waaaaaaay too long looking around and reading labels in hopes of finding "convenience" items... especially in the "health food" section. Big lesson learned early-on: the meat and produce areas are my new jam. 

Oh, and I also ended up eating ground beef and avocado for my 1st meal. Kind of gross to think about, but my body was craving it.

Okay, enough out of me. Hope you're all having a great day!

Hi everyone! Happy Day 2!!! How's it going so far?

I ran out of time on Sunday to meal prep and shop, but luckily I had something on hand to make a compliant breakfast similar to the first one on the 7 day meal plan. Then most of the daytime was spent picking up groceries, putting them away, and meal prepping for the rest of my meals for the day. The good news is that I made it through the day without any slip ups in the nutrition area.  I made the spaghetti squash/meat sauce/homemade sauce meal and it was very easy and it was delicious. In fact, my 2 & 4 year olds would not leave me alone and kept stealing bites! This morning was leftovers with a fried egg on top, and again - they were all in my plate!! So they had the rest of the left overs for breakfast LOL

I had planned to go cold turkey on coffee for the 30 days because I didn't think I could deal with anything other than half and half and some sort of sweetener in it. BUT I was so tired this morning and desperate, that I tried a Whole30 compliant recipe online. I brewed my coffee as normal, added 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 2 Tablespoons of Coconut milk and blended it in my Ninja. I was skeptical, but I gave it a try and I actually LOVED it. I am so happy that I can still have my coffee! I think my husband and kids will appreciate it too!  :D 

Hi. That's so funny about your kids stealing bites. For some reason my kids are obsessed with what I'm cooking. That resulted in them deciding they LOVE almond butter and apples (I swear I've tried to push this off on them before??), and my son saying roasted cauliflower and potatoes is now his favorite food. Okay.

Archived