Starting Whole30 on July 18

jlowe15

I just got out of Trader Joe's, I think. I'm in the parking lot and feel like I am on heavy tranquilizers. Shopping in there was like one of those dreams where you can't run.

I know what you mean - the first 4 days felt like that for me!  Last night started getting better and today (my day 5) I feel a little tired but almost normal.  -- maybe even better than normal in some ways!

Interestingly, of all the things I've cut out,  the thing I miss most is Stevia !  I had gotten used to it not only in tea and coffee but the flavored kind in water or seltzer helped me avoid soda pop quite a bit. But I understand the idea of undoing the "need" for something sweet at all.   Now I find myself reaching for it automatically - but I haven't slipped up.  Like some others of you said, I used to drink a lot of Cola and then some tea or coffee with the stevia, so as soon as I started, I was immediately off caffeine as well.... probably just as well, but undoubtedly explains  some of the achey/drugged feelings.       

Can't wait for another day to prove true to myself and take one step closer to healthy!  

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok just checking to see if it works. Thank you

Testing to see if this posts in the post, or if it creates a new post. I don't want to be annoying and make a whole new post every time I reply to someone... Also, is there a way to go straight to a specific post that you're having a conversation in, without scrolling through all of them? TIA

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but these first 3 days have felt pretty easy!  For sure the meal prep has helped so much. I also re-arranged the fridge so the top 2 shelves are "Whole30" only - meats, eggs, veggies, fruits and the little meal prep containers. I don't even allow myself to look anywhere else in the fridge when opening the door. Did the same thing in the pantry, made the top shelf "Whole30" only, with nuts, nut butter, coconut chips etc. 

Have just realized though that I'm "out" of prepped meals after tonight, so need to do something to be prepared for the weekend. 

Have a great day everyone!

I feel the same way - I haven't had any crazy cravings, I have felt full and really haven't needed to snack. I guess maybe because I've eaten pretty clean before, maybe it hasn't been as hard. But I'm still just waiting for SOMETHING! lol    Last night my son finished off a container of ice cream and my 5 year old daughter was upset because she didn't get any. I remember that there was a small Ben & Jerry's that my husband had bought for me and I forgot to eat it - so I told her she could have it.  That was hard lol.  THEN she asked me to scoop it out for her... REALLY?!?!  I was surprised that it was harder for me than it was - but the whole "starting over" thing is really working for me  :D

• Administrators

Testing to see if this posts in the post, or if it creates a new post. I don't want to be annoying and make a whole new post every time I reply to someone... Also, is there a way to go straight to a specific post that you're having a conversation in, without scrolling through all of them? TIA

I've deleted your "test" posts. This forum is sequential so when you publish a new post or quote someone else's, it shows up at the bottom.  There is no way to change this.

Thanks Kellyclare and Betsie_n for the tips.   I found out I do like sweet potatoes so been cutting them up and making

them.  I don't like avocado either.    I know the way the "plan" is supposed to be but I also know that if I don't tailor the plan to fit me then I will not do it at all.  So, if that means not eating vegi's at breakfast and having a banana  - it is still better than what the alternative is and that is going back to the old way of eating. 

So, Day 5.  Have not had any of the headaches or really tiredness or any symptoms really.  Really surprised about that as I did not eat very healthy at all.  Still going to be tough to do this for 30 days but I will try my best.

I know this plan is supposed to make everyone eat better but honestly, the reason I started this was to try and lose some weight. It seems my metabolism does not exist anymore.  (just turned 50).  Would love to lose 10 -15 pounds and drop a size.  Would make me feel so much better.  At least give me a boost in that direction.That always makes me make better choices when I actually see progress. 

I did Medifast for 2 months a few years ago with my neighbors.  I lost 8 pounds in 2 months and they both lost 40.  They had more weight to lose than me but is was still very frustrating.  So, hopefully this program will work for me!!

Anyone had food dreams? I dreamed of those strawberry ice cream bars with the crumbly topping all over them....eeeeyeewww...I don't even eat those! And yes, I felt guilty. In my dream I also ate something else without thinking and remember saying...OH NO! I have to start all over! I was 90% vegan before and that was messing with my gut and I didn't realize it, SO this week I have been dragging because my body wants CARBS!!! Also, it is 99 degrees in the shade here in the south and I think the heat is contributory also. 

One thing that is significantly better is I am leaner already than I ever was being vegan and I went pretty soft on my workouts this week, I feel like I have lost at least 5 lbs and I struggled with those 5 lbs the whole time I was just plant based. I feel like I have eaten a ton too! All good stuff though. Ok, ok I did crave a frozen yogurt yesterday from Yogurt Mountain, but I drank some seltzer instead and the moment passed. Great job everyone! I enjoy reading all your encouraging words!

Day 5!

No food dreams yet, but I've had these weird vivid thoughts about specific foods out of nowhere, and none of them are things I eat regularly - mango hi-chews (japanese candies), cheetos, and margaritas. It's like I can taste them fully while they fleet through my mind. Its amusing and not even a craving really. 

I'm feeling very proud of myself and of all of you!

Day 5 progress report:

I have to give a little bit of background for you all to appreciate how I am feeling today.  I am 47 years old and I was 260 lbs 17 years ago.  Back then I went on the atkins diet and lost over 120 lbs and was able to maintain most of that over the past 17 years.  But 3 years ago the weight started creeping back up due to switching from an owner of a cleaning business to back at a desk job and drinking everyday (usually vodka and diet anything and lite beer) and starting the change of life.  This weight gain started when I followed into my husbands footsteps of drinking everyday.  Ugh.  So the first thing I need to say is this time around I have not drank in 5 days and that is the first time I can say that in 4 years.  

The first 3 days were hell.  Not only did I give up alcohol I gave up artificial sweetener and cheese (I have being doing basically no carbs other than veggies for so long I didn't have to give up sugar, grains, etc.). Yesterday at work I felt like I had a hangover that lasted for 7 years.  I was miserable.  I have been following whole30 to a T (except I found out a few things that I ate in a small amount had canola oil in it and I did cheat and I weighed myself!!!!) But last night I slept for 10 hours I woke up today feeling. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say I haven't felt this good in 4 years.  My head is clear, my stomach doesn't hurt, I have energy and I feel very accomplished!  [moderator edit to remove scale results] (don't get to excited last weekend I was in Vegas and had a food for all all weekend, which I NEVER do... so it was probably water weight lol).  Also I have been to the gym all week (taking today off because my legs are sore)!!! whooop

My point is, so far this week has been hard on me giving up pork rinds and bacon (nitrates ohhhh i miss you) and replacing that crap with lots of veggies and water but I have never felt so good!!! Thank you Whole30 for giving me hope and joy back in my life.

It has been really hard to not drink when hubby is continuing with his daily habit and he smokes as well.  But every time I smell the alcohol and cigs on his breath it actually makes me sick now..  I hope I am over the hump of misery and I need to remember how I feel at this moment.  

The hardest part for me is to eat veggies with breakfast since I don't like a lot of cooked veggies so my go to has been cucumbers.  Also, I didn't realize how many food items (easy stuff like packaged carnitas and bacon) have nitrates or canola oil.  But I am finding a few things I can eat.  I am not eating fruit as of yet or potatoes because I haven't eaten those things in years and quite honestly I am deathly afraid of them because my brain has been wired to believe those carbs make you fat.  

Thank you all for listening to me and my new theme song is.  Me Too by Meghan Trainor.... Listen to it!!! It will inspire you!

• Administrators

I did cheat and I weighed myself!!!!) 

Hi wenroller1 - so glad to read that you stuck through some hard "hangover" symptoms and that you are feeling better!  That's nice to read.

You will notice that I have edited your post to remove your scale results (as is our practice any time we come across this).  Not weighing is as much a rule as not eating dairy and we don't want others seeing this and getting the idea that they too should be stepping on their scale.  Please put the scale away for the duration of your program.

OOPs.. I am sorry I wont weigh again till I am finished 

Hi wenroller1 - so glad to read that you stuck through some hard "hangover" symptoms and that you are feeling better!  That's nice to read.

You will notice that I have edited your post to remove your scale results (as is our practice any time we come across this).  Not weighing is as much a rule as not eating dairy and we don't want others seeing this and getting the idea that they too should be stepping on their scale.  Please put the scale away for the duration of your progr

Hi everyone! Soooo very inspiring to see that people are feeling good and finding things getting a little easier! Wenroller1 - you're doing sooo great! High-five! :D Thank you for sharing your story; I'm sure we could all relate to many things you have been through and are going through. I've been living Paleo with great results for nearly three years, but I like to do W30 annually to reset myself in terms of nutrition, but also because I love going through it with a group because it's so satisfying to see people find a new way to live a healthier life. Keep up the hard work!

I definitely felt some carb flu mid-week, which tells me that I have been leaning quite a bit further off the wagon than I thought lately. Better today, and doing ok with my snacking - just a few carrots and almonds in the afternoon when dinner was later than anticipated. I am trying to wean off potatoes, too - and I had just a tiny bit with dinner last night, but I think I'll keep them to a once a week treat for now.

SO - it's the first weekend and this is where I have seen a lot of folks slip up. It's usually because they're out of their weekday routine and/or haven't planned well. :angry: There are ways to survive at restaurants and other places - someone mentioned an amusement park. Search other threads in this forum for advice and also you can google a lot - like "Whole 30 and amusement parks" to find tips. Be sure to have emergency food on you at all time when out and about on weekends and be ok with ordering what you need to at restaurants. Food sensitivities and special diets are normal now, so don't be afraid to ask for what you want! It's YOUR health you are protecting - not the wait staff's feelings.

If you need recipe inspiration, here are some good resources:

• Nom Nom Paleo has tons of W30 recipes. You MUST make the Kahlua Pork - for reals:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

• Paleo Newbie has paleo recipes that are super easy and most are W30 compliant:

http://www.paleonewbie.com/

• Wed Fed's W30 Meal plan has more great recipes:

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

TGIF everyone! Make this the first Whole Weekend a success!

Betsie :D

SO - it's the first weekend and this is where I have seen a lot of folks slip up. It's usually because they're out of their weekday routine and/or haven't planned well. :angry: There are ways to survive at restaurants and other places - someone mentioned an amusement park. Search other threads in this forum for advice and also you can google a lot - like "Whole 30 and amusement parks" to find tips. Be sure to have emergency food on you at all time when out and about on weekends and be ok with ordering what you need to at restaurants. Food sensitivities and special diets are normal now, so don't be afraid to ask for what you want! It's YOUR health you are protecting - not the wait staff's feelings.

Betsie,,, Thank you so much for posting this! Me and my hubby are suppose to take out another couple to dinner tonight and at first I was nervous because they all will be drinking but good thing I love the fresh mint water at the place we are going.  I am also challenging myself to show that I can go out and not drink and eat healthy no matter who we are with. I can do it!!!! I have to do it!!!!   Have a great weekend!

Anyone had food dreams? I dreamed of those strawberry ice cream bars with the crumbly topping all over them....eeeeyeewww...I don't even eat those! And yes, I felt guilty. In my dream I also ate something else without thinking and remember saying...OH NO! I have to start all over! I was 90% vegan before and that was messing with my gut and I didn't realize it, SO this week I have been dragging because my body wants CARBS!!! Also, it is 99 degrees in the shade here in the south and I think the heat is contributory also. 

One thing that is significantly better is I am leaner already than I ever was being vegan and I went pretty soft on my workouts this week, I feel like I have lost at least 5 lbs and I struggled with those 5 lbs the whole time I was just plant based. I feel like I have eaten a ton too! All good stuff though. Ok, ok I did crave a frozen yogurt yesterday from Yogurt Mountain, but I drank some seltzer instead and the moment passed. Great job everyone! I enjoy reading all your encouraging words!

I had a fleeting dream two nights ago about those mini-cupcakes with the make-your-teeth-tingle sugary frosting..... I don't even like those, either!!!  And they weren't even chocolate!  Haha   :P  :D

That's so great that you can tell already you are leaner than ever and that you feel better than you did being vegan.  So interesting!

Day 5 and our first weekend! I have to say, I'm feeling pretty legit, like I'm DOING this thing and nothing's going to stop me.

It sounds like most of you are also feeling pretty good about things. I love the positivity and grit of this group. I keep getting an error message when I push "Like This," but I want to just go through and LIKE all of your posts.

Random

-my skin is extra oily... anyone know if this indicates too much/too little of something I'm eating?

-my usual afternoon coma has instead been a solid 90 minutes of clarity and energy for the past 2 days

-"Meal 1" is hard; thinking about it turns my stomach; but I totally get and have experienced that a proper first meal sets you up for the rest of the day

-I love having our own moderator - it feels so luxurious ;o) Thank you, LadyShanny!

Onward and forward - we've GOT this!!

Day 5 progress report:

I have to give a little bit of background for you all to appreciate how I am feeling today.  I am 47 years old and I was 260 lbs 17 years ago.  Back then I went on the atkins diet and lost over 120 lbs and was able to maintain most of that over the past 17 years.  But 3 years ago the weight started creeping back up due to switching from an owner of a cleaning business to back at a desk job and drinking everyday (usually vodka and diet anything and lite beer) and starting the change of life.  This weight gain started when I followed into my husbands footsteps of drinking everyday.  Ugh.  So the first thing I need to say is this time around I have not drank in 5 days and that is the first time I can say that in 4 years.  

The first 3 days were hell.  Not only did I give up alcohol I gave up artificial sweetener and cheese (I have being doing basically no carbs other than veggies for so long I didn't have to give up sugar, grains, etc.). Yesterday at work I felt like I had a hangover that lasted for 7 years.  I was miserable.  I have been following whole30 to a T (except I found out a few things that I ate in a small amount had canola oil in it and I did cheat and I weighed myself!!!!) But last night I slept for 10 hours I woke up today feeling. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say I haven't felt this good in 4 years.  My head is clear, my stomach doesn't hurt, I have energy and I feel very accomplished!  [moderator edit to remove scale results] (don't get to excited last weekend I was in Vegas and had a food for all all weekend, which I NEVER do... so it was probably water weight lol).  Also I have been to the gym all week (taking today off because my legs are sore)!!! whooop

My point is, so far this week has been hard on me giving up pork rinds and bacon (nitrates ohhhh i miss you) and replacing that crap with lots of veggies and water but I have never felt so good!!! Thank you Whole30 for giving me hope and joy back in my life.

It has been really hard to not drink when hubby is continuing with his daily habit and he smokes as well.  But every time I smell the alcohol and cigs on his breath it actually makes me sick now..  I hope I am over the hump of misery and I need to remember how I feel at this moment.  

The hardest part for me is to eat veggies with breakfast since I don't like a lot of cooked veggies so my go to has been cucumbers.  Also, I didn't realize how many food items (easy stuff like packaged carnitas and bacon) have nitrates or canola oil.  But I am finding a few things I can eat.  I am not eating fruit as of yet or potatoes because I haven't eaten those things in years and quite honestly I am deathly afraid of them because my brain has been wired to believe those carbs make you fat.  

Thank you all for listening to me and my new theme song is.  Me Too by Meghan Trainor.... Listen to it!!! It will inspire you!

wenroller1 -- Congratulations and Good Job on staying away from alcohol when your husband is drinking!!  That is tough, and you are doing it, and you are amazing.  You're going to rock dinner out with friends and undoubtedly feel so much better the next day than they will  :P . Keep at it.

I did listen to "Me Too" and I agree it's a great theme song!  (Ironically, it came complete - on YouTube - with a Taco Bell ad!! -- I closed my eyes :rolleyes: )

Wow five days in - never thought I'd be able to say "I just did five days with no grain, dairy, sugar, or alcohol - and loved it " - very happy right now!  Big test this weekend, everyone's positivity and good advice is much appreciated :)  I'm super excited to go grocery shopping and do meal prep again on Sunday, what a dork :)  Making up the menu tonight, looking forward to putting in some of new recipes (yes will be making Nom Nom Paleo Kahlua Pork -  it is so delicious - and so good as left overs!)  and repeating a couple of amazing ones from this week (roasted veggies, who knew they were so divine??) Keep it up everyone!!

Hi guys,

I started July 21 for my first Whole30. Looking to lose weight and beat a super unhealthy relationship with food. 

I'm keeping a Journey Journal, in which I plan meals & the exercise I will do that day. Additionally, I include motivational quotes & write down my thoughts. 

So far, so good! I'm vegetarian, so I'm on the lookout for new recipes! 

Wow five days in - never thought I'd be able to say "I just did five days with no grain, dairy, sugar, or alcohol - and loved it " - very happy right now! Big test this weekend, everyone's positivity and good advice is much appreciated :) I'm super excited to go grocery shopping and do meal prep again on Sunday, what a dork :) Making up the menu tonight, looking forward to putting in some of new recipes (yes will be making Nom Nom Paleo Kahlua Pork - it is so delicious - and so good as left overs!) and repeating a couple of amazing ones from this week (roasted veggies, who knew they were so divine??) Keep it up everyone!!

Wooo hoooo.... I did it!!! I went to dinner at a restaurant and was 100 percent compliant! I wanted a drink really bad and kept staring at my husband's luscious beer but I drank mint water instead. And it wasn't that bad. I didn't die because he was drinking and I wasn't. I was so worried that I would not have the courage or strength to say no but I did and I'm so proud of myself. Here's to many more successful dinners out... We can do this!!!!!

Wow sounds like everyone is doing great!!@ wenroller1. Great job. It's not easy when your spouse is not at all compliant and you have to hang in there. My husbands been eating the dinners I cook because he doesn't cook. Lol. But every night he goes for the drumstick ice cream. I've been really trying to not eat anything sweet at night because this was my downfall. Always pretty good during the day then after dinner it was sweets. So trying to keep my fruit( sweets) early during the day. I was still kinda tired this morning but by this afternoon felt a lot better.

I've got a part time second job in the weekends for the summer bartending outdoor concerts. I usually have to be ther by 2:00 and won't get off till 11:30-12:00. I'm planning on a very filling lunch tomorrow but still having trouble deciding want to bring when we get dinner. They usually send us some non- compliant food( I was going to list a few things but decided not too). I looked for Lara bars but it showed they have 17 grams of sugar, but no added sugar is this just from the dates?? Anyways suggestions would be awesome. Tomorrow concert is Tim McGraw and I wouldn't want a grumbling stomach.

Here's wishing you all a fabulous weekend.

Hi everyone! Soooo very inspiring to see that people are feeling good and finding things getting a little easier! Wenroller1 - you're doing sooo great! High-five! :D Thank you for sharing your story; I'm sure we could all relate to many things you have been through and are going through. I've been living Paleo with great results for nearly three years, but I like to do W30 annually to reset myself in terms of nutrition, but also because I love going through it with a group because it's so satisfying to see people find a new way to live a healthier life. Keep up the hard work!

I definitely felt some carb flu mid-week, which tells me that I have been leaning quite a bit further off the wagon than I thought lately. Better today, and doing ok with my snacking - just a few carrots and almonds in the afternoon when dinner was later than anticipated. I am trying to wean off potatoes, too - and I had just a tiny bit with dinner last night, but I think I'll keep them to a once a week treat for now.

If you need recipe inspiration, here are some good resources:

• Nom Nom Paleo has tons of W30 recipes. You MUST make the Kahlua Pork - for reals:
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

• Paleo Newbie has paleo recipes that are super easy and most are W30 compliant:
http://www.paleonewbie.com/

• Wed Fed's W30 Meal plan has more great recipes:
http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

TGIF everyone! Make this the first Whole Weekend a success!

Betsie :D

Thanks betsie_n for all these recipe ideas. All sounds pretty yummy!!!

wenroller1 -- Congratulations and Good Job on staying away from alcohol when your husband is drinking!! That is tough, and you are doing it, and you are amazing. You're going to rock dinner out with friends and undoubtedly feel so much better the next day than they will :P . Keep at it.

I did listen to "Me Too" and I agree it's a great theme song! (Ironically, it came complete - on YouTube - with a Taco Bell ad!! -- I closed my eyes :rolleyes: )

Casey you crack me up!!! Last night at dinner was no cake walk but friends cancelled so it was just me and my husband so it was quick. The hard part is when they want to linger and have 5 drinks hootin and hollerin and they are pouring shots down your throat..(oh wait that was 20 years ago)... Well it feels like that when you are the only one not drinking lol. I did have a fist size portion of potatoes (being on Atkins, I haven't had a potatoes in 5 years) and I wasn't impressed. I felt really full and weighed down.. could have been my psyche but I think I'll pass on the taters. I hope everyone had a successful Friday night and has wonderful plans this weekend to keep you on track. Now off to the gym. Oh and just say no to Taco Bell ads!!!

Happy Saturday everyone!  Today is my day 7!  Wow- a whole week!  But I'm a little nervous because I'm notorious for being able to do new things for a week no problem, and then falling right off.  If I can make it to day 9 or 10 I'll know I'm good to go.  Knowing I'd have to start all over helps motivate me, plus I feel like the "rules" are a sort of a safety net -- I know what I can eat and what I can't, period. No question or compromise.  

To keep myself - and maybe others - inspired, here are some Non-Scale Victories I've already noticed:

- I've barely even thought about drinking a cola all week  -- and that's saved me at least $10!

- My sinus problems are better ... not great, but slightly improved.

- My clothes are fitting better.

- Veggies have not gone bad in my fridge waiting for me to figure out what to do with them!

- I'm actually taking real lunch breaks instead of grabbing junk food on the fly.

Heading to local Saturday Market to pick up a few new veggies.  Have a great weekend.   :)

Archived