Jenn - Whole30 Rocktober Log

jenn fengels

Okay, so, I'm a little late in finding the "Your Whole30 Log" in the forum. I'm going to post (as best I can recall) my meals for the past 7 days. Here goes...

Day 1 - October 1st

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/mushrooms and bell peppers, black coffee

L - salad with lemon vinaigrette, cherry tomatoes, chicken breast, curried cream of broccoli soup

D - mexican inspired lettuce wraps with chicken, pico de gallo, avocado, lime

snacked on an apple and some almonds post work out.

Day 2

B - 2 eggs over easy, 2 pork sausage patties, black coffee

L - left over lettuce wrap, curried cream of broccoli soup

D - steak, wilted spinach, roasted butternut squash, sliced tomato with lemon and basil

snacked on apple, chicken breast and almonds post work out.

Day 3

B - scrambled eggs with pork sausage, black coffee

L - left over steak, wilted spinach, roasted butternut squash

D - tandoori chicken legs and curried veggies

snacked on an apple, dried coconut chips, cashews & almonds. no work out today.

Day 4

B - 2 hard cooked eggs, almonds, pear

L - left over tandoori chicken legs and curried veggies

D - seared tuna, green salad with cherry tomatoes and lemon vinaigrette

snacked on a pear, almonds, cashews and dried coconut. no work out today.

Day 5

B - found compliant BACON! bacon & eggs

L - left over tuna and salad with lemon vinaigrette

D - pork tenderloin with roasted apple, baked sweet potato, roasted brussel sprouts

snacked on an apple, pear, cashews & almonds.

Day 6

B - bacon and eggs, kiwi

L - steamed veggies and sliced tomatoes

D - NOTHING

went to lunch directly after work out today. snacked on a ridiculous amount of dried fruit and nuts, which is probably why i wasn't hungry for dinner :( i made a spaghetti squash, but was not at all hungry enough to eat it. so i went to bed instead.....got around 9 hrs of sleep. felt incredible.

Day 7

Meal 1

2 scrambled eggs w/ground pork sausage, coffee with coconut milk

Snack

homemade larabar

Meal 2

Fennel, celery, apple, orange salad with pecan and walnut oil

Snack

dried coconut chips

Meal 3

chicken soup with mushrooms, yellow curry, coconut milk, chilis, lemongrass, ginger, cilantro

I haven't been as hungry these last couple of days for some reason.

I gave coconut milk a try in my coffee this morning. Didn't really do much for me, so I think I'll just continue to drink it black....or perhaps switch to tea. I love tea and have no clue why I don't drink it more often.

I fought off the sugar dragon tonight. REALLY wanted some nuts or one of my homemade larabars after dinner for "dessert," but instead I brushed my teeth and now going straight to bed. I'm still getting sleepy much earlier in the evening than I used to -- which is perfectly fine by me. Sleep, sweet sleep!

Hi Jenn,

It seems you and I have a similar problem... dried fruit and nuts! I have also been using them as my 'go to' snack between meals... even though I know that snacking shouldn't really happen if you are fueling up enough during meals! I think I have a lot of demons to kill here!

Good job remembering all your food for the past week - I have found this log quite good for being accountable... when I remember that I have to write it on my log for all to see, it makes me take a second to rethink what I eat.

I'm not sure how we go about getting off the nuts and dried fruit!!? What do you think? (Ironically, I am eating both of these things at work, right now, while I type this to you!!!!)

Day 8

Meal 1

Sauteed zucchini and cherry tomatoes with ground pork

Snack

Carrot, celery, fennel, apple juice

Meal 2

Sauteed turkey tenderloin with mushrooms

5 chunks fresh pineapple

Meal 3

Roasted salmon, sauteed shrimp mushrooms and bell peppers

Snack

homemade larabar - post workout

Felt pretty good yesterday. Still experiencing the feeling of not being as hungry as I think I should. Otherwise I feel pretty good throughout the day.

Was proud that I didn't eat any nuts (apart from what was in the larabar) yesterday, and I kept my fruit consumption to a minimun as well. Onwards and upwards!

Hi Holly!

I did much better yesterday with the fruit/dried fruit and nuts! I put A LOT of effort towards trying not to eat those things. Hope I can manage the same today. I didn't really snack much in general yesterday (compared to the days before), but I think this has a lot to do with the fact that I don't work on Monday/Tuesday. Tomorrow will be a much different story when I'm sitting at my desk watching the minutes pass, in between a cashew ... or two ... or three!

I'm not sure how else to combat this little challenge of ours, other than to replace the naughty food/snacks with better options. A friend of mine introduced me to these apple chips yesterday and I'm super excited to try them. They're just dried apples...and they are really thin, light and crisp -- like a potato chip. HOWEVER, I don't think this helps with the dilemma. In fact, it's just the opposite (sorry to digress -- I get overwhelmed with excitement when I think of anything that i CAN eat right now)!

I will go for some carrot sticks now, I suppose.

Let me know how your day goes/went!

Hi Jenn

I think I'm the opposite to you - I snack more when I am at home and rarely do when at work! I cut out one of my snacks today so I feel ok about that. AND tonight at staff meeting, there were lollies handed around and I am chuffed to say, I politely refused, every single time the bowl came around the table past me!! Small victories :-)

I think during this next week we might find that snacking becomes less and less as we work out what our bodies need and just eat those things at meal times. I didn't really have as much desire to snack today as I have in past days - so it must get easier.

Hang in there. We are doing well :-)

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, CFholly. Gosh, I LOVE this forum. It's a lifesaver at times!

I'm going to try the sweet potato, red onion, bacon and egg for breakfast tomorrow morning. I think I saw this on one of your logs...? Sounds yummy!

Hope you have a great day/night!

Day 9

Meal 1

leftover sauteed turkey tenderloin, mushroom and bell peppers, black coffee

Meal 2

pumpkin curry coconut soup

Snack

5 roasted chestnuts and apple chips (too many, dammit!)

Meal 3

Steak salad with tomato, avocado, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime vinaigrette.

Today was....alright. Mad at myself for going after those apple chips, but if that's the "worst" part of my day then I'm cool with it. Especially compared to what my former worst would be (chocolate, pastries, something fried, etc.). I need to drink more water. I drink a good amount of water (2+ liters) on the days I'm at work, but I don't come near that amount on the days I'm at home.

I'm looking forward to my leftovers tomorrow!

I was just reading through different logs on here and I'm really impressed with the results people are already seeing! As for myself, I don't notice anything major. Most of the things I'm noticing are small improvements, nothing drastic. I'll take what I can get!

Just to name a few:

- not as hungry throughout the day, snacking less

- sleeping solid (used to wake up at least once during the night)

- more balanced/consistent energy throughout the day

- clothes fit more comfortably

I can't say that I'm not experiencing any cravings. I went to the festival in town today and there were many things that I would have liked to eat, but I knew if I did I would feel terrible, both mentally and physically. It's so not worth it and there's no way I'm going out like that. No how, no way!

Day 10

Meal 1

Pumpkin coconut curry soup, black coffee

Snack

Apple chips, cashews, almonds, black coffee

Meal 2

Leftover steak, 1/2 avocado, red onion, tomato

Meal 3

Lamb chops, wilted spinach, sweet potato puree with coconut milk

Fresh pineapple with coconut whipped cream

I think I'm turning a corner by doing the dinner for breakfast thing, although the soup didn't sustain me for long this morning. My breakfast was definitely missing some protein.

Despite sleeping well last night I started to feel really sleepy around 10:30 this morning. I felt better as the day progressed. I don't know what hit me this morning, but I was shocked at how tired I felt. My co-worker even commented that I looked tired and hard dark circles under my eyes! I actually thought I looked bright and shiny when I left the house this morning. Hmmm.....?

Speaking of sleep, I am so tired right now and about to hit the sack....and it's not even 9pm! Lovin' this!

Last night was the first time since I started the W30 (on Oct 1st) that I did not sleep well at all. I got really sleepy around 8:30pm and ended up in bed around 9:30pm -- about an hour earlier than usual. Fell to sleep easily, but it was a really light sleep and I woke up twice, 3am and 5am. I feel really tired and sluggish today.

What's going on? Could it be something I ate? Perhaps the pineapple I had after dinner last night? Or could it something I'm not eating?

I'm really looking forward to this peppy, energetic feeling that so many are experiencing. Really disappointed (and TIRED) today :(

Ah, I think this is normal. I think on the Whole30, we are so focused on our food and we blame what we eat for how we feel, every time something feels a bit 'off'. There are so many other factors in our lives that could make us feel sluggish and tired.

I reckon you should cut yourself some slack, Jenn. You are going so well!! There are going to be good days and bad. A rollercoaster ride :-). Just hang on tight!!

Thanks, Holly, for the reassurance. Hoping I sleep better tonight and wake up feeling better tomorrow!

Day 11

Meal 1

Bacon, 2 eggs, black coffee

Meal 2

Pumpkin curry coconut soup

Snack

Apple chips, almonds, green tea

Meal 3

Green chicken curry with broccoli, zucchini, carrot, bell peppers

Tomorrow will be my first social outing since beginning the W30. I think I'm prepared. Scoped out a restaurant with some compliant menu selections and will not consume any alcohol (no desire, really)! Yeah.....bring it on!

Hey Jenn,

Looks to me like you're doing an awesome job. From the blog and forum it sounds like everyone has at least a few days during their Whole30 when they just feel 'off'. I wouldn't worry about it, just listen to your body and rest as much as possible.

I also struggle with trying to not eat dried fruit and nuts for every snack. Just had an afternoon one of an apple cooked in coconut milk and I'll see how it holds me over.

Keep up the great work! :D

Hi Jenn - this might make you feel a little better, or at least know that you aren't alone. I, too, just got up from a restless nights sleep. My body and mind got me to bed nice and early but I woke probably 5 times during the night and sleep too light. I feel yucky today. It must just be part of the process.

Have a good day!

@Jenny H -- thanks! i keep reminding myself that the two week mark is just around the corner and that's when many people report "miracles happening." i was talking to my friend who is also doing W30 this month and she and i have both acknowledged that our expectations for the W30 might be too high. of course, we want and hope to reap the life changing benefits of the W30, but perhaps we should lower our expectations just a bit in case our experiences aren't remarkable. i think i'm thinking this way because last night was yet another unsuccessful nights sleep :( in any case, i feel like i am improving with the dried fruit and nuts. i still have them almost every day, but in much smaller quantities than i was having them at the start of W30. i think i'll give your apples cooked in coconut milk a try. sounds yummy!

@CFholly -- i am absolutely NOT rejoicing in the fact that you had lousy nights sleep......but, it is somewhat comforting to know that i'm not alone. the thought that this really is just part of the process is very reassuring. hope mr. sandman is good to you (and me!) tonight!

been really busy the last couple of days and haven't had time to update my log. the good news is that i think i might have slept better the last two nights, though shorter than i would like. been going to bed around 11:30pm - midnight and waking up around 6:30am. and though the hours of sleep are less than i would like, they at least feel like good quality.

Day 12

Meal 1

3 slices bacon, 2 eggs, black coffee

Snack

Mango, grapefruit, orange, apple juice topped with sparking water

Meal 2

left over green chicken curry

Snack

Almonds, pear

Meal 3

filet of beef, grilled vegetables, ruccola salad with prawns, cherry tomato, balsamic and olive oil

Snack

Almonds, cashews

Day 13

Meal 1

chili -- did not go down easily first thing in the morning. ate approx 1 cup

Snack

roasted acorn squash, pistachios, almonds

Meal 2

2 hard cooked eggs, fruit -- lots of fruit!

Snack

Apple chips, pistachios, almonds

So, yesterday was difficult. We took a 2 hour road trip to visit some friends. My husband warned them ahead of time that I am on "some sort of crazy diet right now and can't eat much of anything" (the poor boy just doesn't understand and shame on me for not doing a better job of explaining). They prepared for us what they considered a very healthy and harmless brunch -- long story short, the only things i could eat were the hard cooked eggs and fruit. we spent the entire day and most of the evening at their place, and the only other food i had on hand were apple chips and nuts. hence the reason for my poor diet yesterday.

i'm making up for it today though! just had a delicious breakfast of bacon, eggs, 1/2 avocado and tomato slices. and, as i mentioned earlier, i'm thankfully feeling a bit more rested these last couple of days.

can hardly believe i'm at the half way point. it feels great to have gotten this far, despite the fact that my diet has been less than ideal on some of the days. my goal for the last 2 weeks of this program is to rid myself of snacking on nuts! as soon as i finish this last bit of nuts in my possession, i will not purchase them again until after W30. they've been such an easy go to/emergency snack, but they really are like a treat so i know that i should/could make better choices.

hope everyone is hanging in there!

Day 14

Meal 1

scrambled eggs topped with 1/2 avocado, tomato slices and bacon, 2x black coffee

Meal 2

1/2 roasted acorn squash, roasted chesnuts

Snack

Pistachios

Meal 3

"meatzza" topped with green olives, red bell peppers and basil, green bean salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil

Snack

grapes

My meal 2/lunch yesterday (day 14) was really carb dense and since i haven't exercised in a week, i feel like this probably wasn't the best choice. however, gearing up for my first go at crossfit tomorrow! i'm already thinking about what to prepare for a post workout snack. i've read that lean protein and some sort of carb dense veggie is the way to go. any suggestions?

Hooray! You are going to your first Crossfit!! I wish you the best of luck :-) You'll be fine!

Yes I do get the daily emails - I think I was too cranky and angry at the world to read it properly today though. I will check it out with a better frame of mind tomorrow.

Still ticking along alright - we are half way through, so that's a huge victory in itself.

Let me know how you go at Crossfit :-)

Day 15

Meal 1

Scrambled egg with sweet potato, orange, black coffee

Snack

nuts, dried fruit

Meal 2

roasted pork, salad, avocado, tomato

Snack

dried fruit

I was on the go most of the day and didn't make time for lunch. Ate more dried fruit today than I would have liked, but managed to keep the nuts at bay (only had a few). I'm tired.....really hoping for a good nights sleep tonight! The last couple of nights have been an improvement to the days prior, just wishing I was getting at least 8 hrs.

Day 16

Meal 1

Shredded pork, scrambled eggs, 1x black coffee, 1x black tea

Meal 2

Chicken salad (paleo mayonaise, celery, tarragon and pecan) over lettuce, handful of grapes

Meal 3

Lamb filet, roasted mushroom and acorn squash, wilted spinach

Snack -- post work out

1/2 seared tuna filet, 1/4 avocado

have to say that i feel pretty darn good today! slept pretty good last night (roughly 8 hours) and have felt consistently energetic the whole day. AND...i didn't snack today! no nuts, no dried fruit, nothing! didn't even have the desire. hope this trend continues. the real test will be when i'm sitting at work tomorrow, bored. first crossfit introduction course tonight. man -- it's intense!

Day 17

Meal 1

shredded pork, scrambled eggs, handful of raspberries and blueberries, black coffee x2

Meal 2

chicken and vegetable soup, giant apple with almond butter

Meal 3

coconut chicken topped with mango salsa, green salad with southwestern cumin lime dressing, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

felt a bit tired today since i didn't sleep too well last night, but feeling good overall. cannot believe i made it through another day with no snacks!!! i can't say that i didn't want a snack. in fact, i started feeling hungry around 10:30-11:00 and had to talk myself out of snacking. glad i did! my chicken and veg soup didn't satisfy me at lunch. i think it was too light. needed a carb dense veggie in there. i topped my lunch off with a gigantic apple. it was delicious, especially with my homemade almond butter, but i think it may have been too much. i was so full afterwards!

Jenn. I have tripped up. I had some small pieces of chocolate last night and a tiny bowl of porridge this morning at breakfast. Argh! So much for going well. I feel quite crap about it though it was obviously a conscious decision. Do you think I have to start again or just ride out October and then put in 100% for November?? :-/

I, personally, would ride out October and then shoot for 100% in November. As much I think a little chocolate and some porridge is relatively harmless, I'm pretty sure the W30 police would strongly disagree. They would probably also disagree with the amount of dried fruit I just shoved in my mouth. I think today is going to be rough for me!

How are you feeling otherwise? Any negative side effects after the chocolate and porridge?

Attended my second CrossFit class last night. Really enjoying it so far! We're still just in the introduction phase, learning proper form and technique, etc.

Archived