Jenn - Whole30 Rocktober Log

jenn fengels

Day 18

Meal 1

bacon, eggs, raspberries, blueberries, 2x black coffee

Meal 2

salad with creamy cumin lime dressing topped with coconut crusted chicken breast and mango salsa, orange, raspberries

Snack

dried fruit, nuts

Meal 3

salad with creamy cumin lime dressing topped with coconut crusted chicken breast and mango salsa, sweet potato

Snack

cashews

Yesterday was the longest day of my life! Left my house at 7:30am and didn't get home until 11:30pm :( Needless to say I wasn't prepared with enough of the right food for such a long day -- which lead me to snacking -- which I was so proud that I had not done at all in the 2 days prior!

Today is not looking good either (i've already snacked on dried coconut and it's not even lunch time yet!), especially in the way of preparation. The only thing I brought with me is a giant apple and some almond butter. I can probably forage a salad for lunch, but protein is surely going to be a challenge. Hard cooked eggs will probably be the best for lunch today. In any case, I'll make up for it with dinner tonight -- zucchini spaghetti and meatballs on the menu.....as long as I have the energy to make it when I get home at who knows what time this evening!

Day 19

Meal 1

Bacon, eggs, 2x black coffee, handful of grapes

Snack

dried coconut

Meal 2

chicken and veg soup, handful of grapes

Snack

cashews

Meal 3

zucchini "spaghetti" and meatballs

kinda knew today wasn't going to be great based on the fact that i wasn't armed and ready. my long long previous day really set me back! i'm at a disadvantage for tomorrow morning too because i didn't have time to stock up on groceries today, but i think i can pull something decent together before i go to the store tomorrow. i've been running on approx 6 hours of sleep today. begging for more tonight!

here's to a better tomorrow!

Been away at the in-laws and haven't had a chance to update. Here's a recap from yesterday and today!

Day 20

Meal 1

black coffeex2, eggs scrambled with red bell pepper and mushroom

Meal 2

chicken salad lettuce wraps, cashews, dried coconut

Meal 3

salad with olive oil and vinegar, smoked trout, veggies sauteed in olive oil, beef filet with pesto, fruit salad

Day 21

Meal 1

bacon, eggs, 1/3 avocado, tomato slice, fruit salad, 2x black coffee

Meal 2

salad with olive oil and vinegar, beef bone broth, small amount of chicken salad, green bean salad, green olives

Snack

apple chips, dried coconut cashews

Meal 3

roast chicken and veggies, orange topped with cinnamon, coconut cream and coconut flakes

the weekend was not nearly a bad as I had expected it to be, thankfully for my brother/sister in law who challenged themselves to cook a W30 compliant dinner for me on saturday night! i brought some food of my own, just in case, but everything they made was on plan. so nice of them!

today was a bit more challenging as we spent a lot more time at my in laws than expected and there wasn't much i could eat apart from fruit and salad. the bone broth was good, but my meal 2 just couldn't hold me over until dinner -- resulted in some snacking.

not much to report other than i can't believe i'm 21 days in! my husband has been giving me a hard time lately saying that "everything is so complicated now that you're on this program." i can't really disagree with him about that because it hasn't been convenient, but that's kinda the whole point. he found some not so positive info about paleo on wikipedia and he can't stop referencing it. it's driving me nuts!

Day 22

Meal 1

3x baked eggs cups with bacon, spinach, tomato, 1x black coffee

Meal 2

roast beef, green bean salad, 2x deviled eggs

Meal 3

deconstructed lamb burger, green salad with classic pantry vinaigrette, sweet potato fries

mango with coconut cream and toasted coconut

felt pretty good today despite suboptimal nights sleep. grocery shopping today and food prep tomorrow so that i can finish the week out strong.

Jenn. Keep going! Despite the nay sayers, WE know this program is the beginning of a better relationship with food. You have been going so well. Last night my partner ate a big lot of caramello chocolate IN FRONT OF ME (it just so happens to be my favourite) while I prepared some veggies for dinner! That was a tough moment!!

Not long till the end of your 30. Keep making positive choices :)

thanks for the encouragement, ladies! much appreciated.

i have the honor of watching my husband slather a 2" thick layer of nutella on a not so thick slice of freshly baked white bread almost every evening after dinner. he's also one of those hybrid humans -- never gains a pound, is constantly asked by strangers if he's a swimmer, biker or diver due to his lean/muscular figure. on another note, he is almost ALWAYS tired. i lost my chance to sell him on the w30 and paleo style of eating. he thinks it's all a bunch of b.s. whatever, husband. whatever.

by the way, have you seen this? http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

i almost pee my pants every single time.

Day 23

Meal 1

3 egg omelette, ground pork sausage, spinach, orange, 1x black coffee

Meal 2

green salad with cherry tomatoes, classic pantry vinaigrette, steak (delicious!)

Snack

2x chicken salad lettuce wrap

Meal 3

roasted pork tenderloin with roasted brussel sprouts, mushrooms and butternut squash

Slept pretty good last night and felt pretty good today! It's late and I've already lost at least 1 hour of my 8 hour sleep goal. Gotta go!

Day 24

Meal 1

2 eggs, left over steak, mushrooms, 2x black coffee

Meal 2

3x chicken salad lettuce wraps, 2x small plums

Snack

3 slices left over pork tenderloin, 1x celery stalk with 2 T almond butter and 2 T raisins

Meal 3

Chicken and vegetable curry topped with cashews, mango

Could not fall asleep last night! SO frustrating. I might have slept 5 hours total. No bueno! Trying to get an earlier start tonight. Otherwise, felt good today. Still have cravings, but fighting them off one by one.

Day 25 -- what???

Meal 1

scrambled eggs with ground pork, 1x black coffee

Snack

1x kiwi, 1x small plum, 1x green tea

Meal 2

Leftover chicken and veg curry

Meal 3

whipped sweet potatoes with coconut milk, green salad with carrot, cherry toms and olives, classic pantry vinaigrette, chicken breast sauteed in coconut oil

No complaints today! Slept good last night, felt good/energetic all day. Hard to believe that by this time next week I will be off the W30 hook......if I choose.

I don't reckon you will choose to go off it all together! I really can see this way of eating to be the norm for me. Of course with a few treats here and there. At least you'll be able to have a BIG bowl of porridge soon! That'll be heaven!! hahaha.

:-)

I have a lot of catching up to do on my log! Been super busy the past couple of days.

Day 26

Meal 1

Bacon, eggs, grapefruit, 1x black coffee, 1x green tea

Snack

Roasted chestnuts

Meal 2

left over chicken and vegetable curry, 1 plum, dried coconut

Meal 3

fruit smoothie, smoked salmon carpaccio, cashews, apple chips

okay, so, my meal 3 wasn't exactly a meal. i ended up at a bar after work for a friends birthday and these were the only things i could find that were suitable. i ate my meal 2 late enough in the day that i wasn't super hungry, but ended up staying out later than expected and was not armed and ready.

Day 27

Meal 1

Bacon, eggs, orange, 1x black coffee

Meal 2

Green salad with red wine vinaigrette, chicken breast pan fried in coconut oil, mango

Meal 3

thinly sliced roast beef with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and ruccola, grilled tuna, sea bass and halibut, carrot and broccoli sauteed in olive oil

Snack

Pistachios

Have no clue why I snacked after dinner last night! We had a couple of friends over after our delicious dinner, and I guess the social atmosphere got to me and I ended going after the pistachios. Finished my last crossfit "foundation" course on Saturday. I did a benchmark WOD called Cindy. 12 rounds in 20 mins. Have no clue what that really means, but will be curious to do a comparison a month from now.

Day 28

Meal 1

Prosciutto baked egg cups x2, black coffee x2, clementine

Meal 2

cream of broccoli soup, roasted chicken wings, 1/2 acorn squash

Snack

Pistachios, apple chips, almond/cashew/coconut butter with apple, 2x green tea

Meal 3

veal roast with celery, carrot and mushroom

Today was kinda like a "snow day." We received our first snow last night/today. I've been sitting inside all day watching it fall. It's so pretty! A couple of friends came over and we cooked, listened to music......and grazed (hence the plentiful late afternoon snacks!). I have to say though, the cashew/almond/coconut butter that I mixed up was to die for! My friends think I should market it!

Things are going well overall. I have (finally) in the last few days of this program started to receive my first compliments. My husband even said something! This is huge considering he's not very observant and I see him every single day. A couple of friends I haven't seen in a while also said "you look great!" So, feeling pretty high about that. I've decided to carry on with the W30 a few days beyond October 30. Unfortunately I'll be on a mini vacation over the weekend and I already know I'll be going off plan. I'm curious (and a little scared!) to see how it goes.

Hope everyone out there is holding on strong!

Day 29

Meal 1

2x coffee, left over veal roast with carrots and celery, green bean salad

Meal 2

cream of broccoli soup, 2x deviled eggs

Meal 3

thai chicken lettuce wraps with mango salsa, creamy cumin vinaigrette and avocado

I was off schedule with my meals today. I woke up and drank 2 cups of coffee before eating meal 1 -- which means I didn't actually get hungry for meal 1 until rather late in the day. On the bright side, the I didn't snack at all today. I felt the urge a couple of times, but resisted. I'm also resisting the bread that just came out of the oven and the jar of Nutella on the counter. It's really getting to me tonight though!

Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary and my husband said he wants to cook dinner for me. He NEVER EVER EVER cooks. I'm so curious to see what he comes up with . He knows it has to be W30 compliant. And even though tomorrow is technically my last day, I want to carry on with it the rest of the week at least until Saturday.

Slept okay last night, despite having to wake up to my baby crying at 2am. I'm trying to decide which I prefer 1) uninterrupted sleep of 6 hours or less OR 2) 8+ hours with 1 or 2 interruptions -- because it's usually one or the other!

Day 30

Meal 1

Bacon, eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, 1x black coffee

Snack

Raspberries, blueberries, 1x green tea

Meal 2

Left over thai seasoned chicken breast with mango salsa, cream of broccoli soup

Snack

Mixed nuts, 1x green tea

Meal 3

Veal chop, salad with balsamic, scallop and shrimp wrapped in bacon

Pineapple, mango, banana fried in coconut oil topped with toasted macadamia nuts and coconut

Day 30 has arrived! A times it seemed so far away, but here I am 30 days later and feeling pretty good. I feel good and proud for having completed this program and I will certainly take some of the things I've learned in this 30 days and incorporate them into my daily life going forward.

I'm feeling good, overall, but I honestly can't say it's a remarkable difference. It's noticeable, but not really life changing for me. I'm still not sleeping as good as I think I should be (or would like to be), and I still crave certain things from time to time -- but I suppose this is an improvement to all of the time. Regardless, I'm planning to carry on for a little while longer.

Husband cooked a great dinner tonight!

You did it!! 30 Days! You are somewhat of an inspiration to me - given that I am on my 3rd try! I wouldn't worry about not seeing remarkable changes - I think perhaps some of us just get subtle changes, but I am sure that your body is thankful for the care you have been taking of it :-) I hope you continue to make good choices for yourself. I think the Whole30 is a good education for us in how foods affect our bodies - that's probably the biggest thing I am learning. You'd think, that after 30 years of life I would have a grasp on the quality of foods - but we get so brainwashed by media, that its difficult to know what is right sometimes!

Hmmm, seems I am having a bit of an early morning waffle to you now! I'd better get myself to work! Keep enjoying good food choices, and enjoy indulgences (without guilt!) when you can!

Proud of my little forum buddy for going the entire 30!! You go girl !!

Holly! Thanks so much for your continued support. It really does help to have a forum buddy :)

I think this program has helped me build a strong foundation in moving forward with healthy habits from here on out. Will definitely think twice before indulging and will try to eat as clean as possible going forward. I'm sure my body is thanking me for this. It's hard to believe that I've lived my entire life (30+ years) eating some form of refined sugar every single day. Apart from omitting dairy, grains, and legumes, this is the fact that I'm most proud of.

I'll weigh myself on Friday morning to see where I landed. I know that I've lost at one dress size, which is awesome! The number on the scale shouldn't matter all that much to me, but curiosity will kill this cat in the end!

I've been following up on your log and it sounds like you're off to great start, albeit the 3rd attempt. You're like a veteran now :) Heck, you're almost half way through -- unless you carry on until Christmas.

Day 31

Meal 1

Beef bone broth, 2x clementines, 1x black coffee, 1x green tea

Meal 2

Chicken soup

Snack

Apple chips

Meal 3

Lamb filet, cream of broccoli soup, green salad with cherry tomatoes, basil, balsamic/olive oil

Snack

1x green tea, mixed nuts

Feeling a bit under the weather, but still managing to stay W30 compliant. Went to the theater last night and passed up the free beer, prosecco and popcorn. The popcorn was calling my name (and my nose!), but in the end decided that just having a taste for the sake of being able to wasn't worth it. I wasn't really hungry anyway, but ended up snacking on some mixed nuts during the movie more out of habit than necessity. Feels good to be able to recognize these things whereas before I would have not thought twice about a handful of popcorn, or two.

Day 32

Meal 1

2x black coffee, beef bone broth, orange, kiwi

Snack

mixed nuts, apple chips

Meal 2

roast beef, roasted chestnuts, apple

Meal 3

green bean salad, homemade larabar

Today was not as fantastic as I had hoped being it my last day on W30 before I consciously go off plan tomorrow. Meal 2 was very late in the day, therefore wasn't hungry come time for meal 3 -- which turned out to be rather unsubstantial (no protein). I'm going to try to follow the reintroduction recommendations beginning tomorrow with some dairy and likely some sugar. Curious to see how I will feel.

Archived