Coffee Creamer Cravings

Hi, so I'm a newbie and I'm only on day five. I'm very surprised that I haven't had very many cravings and when I do they haven't been very intense (this coming from someone who was binge eating unhealthy foods uncontrollably for months). But one thing I really miss is coffee creamer. I love having coffee with flavored creamer, or even just milk and sugar. While I know this is not compliant, I am wondering if there is some kind of compliant creamer out there that I can use so I can still enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. I have tried black coffee and I can't stand it, and I have also tried various mixtures with coconut oil and coconut milk, but I just don't like it at all and actually found that it makes my throat hurt. Can anyone help me find something I may like? Or should I just wait a while and see if I can go off coffee altogether?

You can try adding a different kind of "milk" like almond or cashew to your coffee. NutPods are compliant (I believe. Triple check ingredients on whatever you buy)

I'm still working on drinking coffee black myself. When not w30, I add heavy cream. I can do almond milk if it's mostly milk in hot coffee or if I do cold brew I can do more coffee to milk. I tried coconut milk and it's a texture thing for me (but I don't have an immersion blender... Yet!) I usually stick with tea if I "need" the caffeine or something warm. I usually stick to water

NutPods are compliant.  I ordered some recently from Amazon.  They are pretty good not the same as regular cream but better than drinking it black for me.  Definitely worth a try.  It's been a hard adjustment for me also !

I absolutely LOVE the Nutpods Unsweetened Original.  I have 1-2 T in a cup with 2 expresso shots every morning and it is a life saver!  I finished my W30 on June 30 and the first 2 weeks of my W30 I drank it black, but ever since then I've been adding the Nutpods.   I'll never go back to the milk or regular creamer.   

I love to have cream in my coffee too, so it's been hard on me as well.  I found coconut cream (in a can) at the store.  It's the highly concentrated form of coconut milk, the stuff that you will find that settles at the top of coconut milk.  I tried it and it's really not that bad.  I think the high fat content helps with keeping me satisfied, however it does not replace cream.  After the 30 days if you want to have cream in your coffee, but avoid dairy there are coconut coffee creamers.  I did not use those as they add sugar to them, but they aren't that bad and taste pretty good if you want to avoid dairy.  I can not do any soy milk, so I have used them in the past with success.  

I am with you on this one. The Truvia was easy to give up. Black Coffee is not good IMO. I am doing Almond Milk but feel guilty every time. It is unsweetened and does not Carrageenan? I am on Day 7. Phew. Liking the results but its a battle! 

• 3 months later...

From the nut pods website:

For all three flavors: INGREDIENTS: Purified water, coconut cream, almonds, natural flavors

So all of these would be ok.

A note when buying food products online: always double check the actual ingredients on the package when you get them. I would not anticipate this  product as potentially changing, but I have experienced a website listing old/outdated ingredient lists and I received a product with a different list. (In my case, it was a garlic chili oil whose recipe had recently been changed by the manufacturer.) But it always helps to instill good label reading practices.

I'm on day 30 and coffee is the single hardest thing for me. Can't drink it black but can't seem to not drink it. I'm finally able to drink it with just coconut milk. It takes about 1/4 cup though. I use full fat coconut milk from the can. Best to scrape contents of newly opened can into a blender for a few seconds and then store in a container. Gently shake before using. Also, I can drink tea with cinnamon and a splash of freshly juiced apple juice

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I find blending the full fat coconut milk into the coffee really helps.  Shaking, stirring, etc won't cut it.  I use a milk frother.  I probably use 1-2 tbsp depending how big of a mug of coffee I poured.  Earlier in the fall I was putting a dash of pumpkin pie spice in too... I mean if I had a frappucino habit it probably wouldn't cut it, but I prefer it now to half and half :)  

I second the milk frother, it makes a huge difference and they are quite cheap. It has a different blade then an immersion blender so I am not sure if you would have the same great results. Also, I have had to try different coconut milks, all brands are not created equal.

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up coffee cold turkey a few months ago, and my friend who is doing this with me gave it up about 10 days ago (3 days before we started this). She has found that her once loaded with sugar and toxins she craved and "needed" now tastes even more sweet with just a splash of coconut milk. So maybe (and hopefully) this will happen to you and you will start to enjoy the richness of regular coffee.

Archived