New to whole 30

Anna Rhoads

Hi my name is Anna, starting the program tomorrow, the 11th of July. I weighed myself today, so far I have lost 4 lbs on another meal program I have done in the past but very boring. Looking forward to whole 30 because I can add fruits & good fats to the meal plan. I workout everyday, so I am used to having something before my workout as well as my coffee. The hardest part for me is going to give up gum & sugar free sodas because that is what takes the edge off of wanting to eat something sweet. I have a question as to how much fruit I can have at a given time? Looking forward for some support here in Tucson, Az.

• Administrators

Hi Anna,

First, this is not a diet so you should never really need gum or sugar free drinks to take the edge off wanting to eat.  You should eat. Enough at each meal to get 4-5 hours between comfortably.  That means 1-2 palms of protein (or 3-4+eggs), 2-3 cups of veggies and enough fat as per the fat source you are choosing. Check out the meal template linked in my signature below.  You'll also be drinking half an ounce of water per pound of your bodyweight (if you weigh 150#, you'll be drinking 75 ounces of clean, clear water every day).

If you are working out we recommend a pre workout meal of protein and fat and a post workout meal of lean protein and starchy veggie.  We do not recommend fruit at any stage of the workout process as it replenishes liver glycogen, not muscle and because it can be an easy-to-use fuel for your body when what you actually want is your body to learn to access stored energy in the form of fat.

Fruit is recommended as 1-2 fist sized portions per day, with meals.  You do not have to eat fruit.  Many people report that fruit eaten with their morning meal causes them to feel hungry sooner and contributes to mid-late day cravings.  We do not recommend fruit be eaten on its own as a snack.  If you need food between your meals because your previous meal wasn't large enough or because you have more than 4-5 hours in between, the recommendation is a mini-meal containing protein, veggies and fat. If you can't manage all three, go for protein and fat or protein and veg.

There are a lot of good resources linked in my signature below, take a read through them if you have not already.

Welcome! The forums are a great place for support. Please, stay a while! :)

Just wanted to add to ladyshanny's comments - I was a sugar addict before the Whole30 and have almost completely cut out traditional fruit (still technically eat tomatoes). I've found that past the first few days, I haven't missed it much, but I'll still have it once a week, maybe. The first time or two I ate it while on the plan, I felt encouraged to eat more (unnatural) sugar, so I decided to see if I could just cut it out, and that helped a LOT.

• Administrators

Absolutely if you have an issue with sugar, watch your reaction to fruits.  Watermelon is all over the place here right now and while delicious and healthy, it also makes me want to eat chocolate chips out of the bag and dream of baking baked goods (not on W30 at the moment).  So....fruit is out for me for awhile again.

This is really helpful advice above.  Thank you

Can I check if pre and post-workout meals are rules or suggestions?  I workout every Wednesday lunchtime then head back to work and have lunch.  Also after work I'll go straight home and have dinner.  So are the extras necessary?  I realise it will help with muscle recover, and maybe metabolic bood but it's more to remember and I'm finding it really helpful to just have to think about 3 good meals a day.

• Administrators

This is really helpful advice above.  Thank you

Can I check if pre and post-workout meals are rules or suggestions?  I workout every Wednesday lunchtime then head back to work and have lunch.  Also after work I'll go straight home and have dinner.  So are the extras necessary?  I realise it will help with muscle recover, and maybe metabolic bood but it's more to remember and I'm finding it really helpful to just have to think about 3 good meals a day.

Pre and post workout is a strong recommendation.  You can certainly do without it.  Watch your performance and recovery though and see how you're doing. You may not need the pre workout if you are exercising mid day but the post workout protein and starchy veggie is a huge boon to recovery. Even just a couple bites of protein and a couple bites of starchy veggie on your way back to work. I know it's a pain to drag something else around with you............but if you are doing any sort of pre-cooking, just throw the couple bites of each in a zippy bag in your gym bag. 

I don't normally worry toooo much about what sort of protein I eat after my workout, I just make sure I'm not purposely adding fat to it. So meatloaf, meatballs, chicken thighs, few bites of pork burger, egg.  Whatever is available in the fridge.  Plus starchy veggie.  I went a week without doing pre and post and by the end of the week I was so gassed I thought I was going to die on the way home (I bicycle commute uphill the whole way home).  I wouldn't say I notice a huge difference in my performance using pre and post but my recovery is easier/less painful and I don't want to die by the end of the week.  :)

Experiment and see how you do.

Hi my name is Anna, starting the program tomorrow, the 11th of July. I weighed myself today, so far I have lost 4 lbs on another meal program I have done in the past but very boring. Looking forward to whole 30 because I can add fruits & good fats to the meal plan. I workout everyday, so I am used to having something before my workout as well as my coffee. The hardest part for me is going to give up gum & sugar free sodas because that is what takes the edge off of wanting to eat something sweet. I have a question as to how much fruit I can have at a given time? Looking forward for some support here in Tucson, Az.

Day 8, so far so good. I love this meal plan so much.  I find that I do have to brush my teeth more often since I can't chew gum which is a good thing. My friend, Nikki is so helpful , she has a group that has been on the plan, so if I have a question she is always there to answer it. Got my bf, Jeff to eat healthier too !!

Archived