Don't like coconut?

mosaic

I've never cared for coconut (well, except for Mounds Bars  :lol: ).  I have gotten used to having a teaspoon of coconut butter/manna (pureed coconut - not coconut oil - yuck) in the mornings.  But I never liked coconut cream pie, coconut shrimp, Thai food with coconut milk, etc.  So I don't think cooking stuff that tastes even mildly of coconut is going to do it for me.  

So I'm not sure what to substitute in recipes that use use coconut water or milk.  

I did a impromptu test run of Whole30 a month ago, and, though maybe only 95-98% compliant, was very pleased with the results and how I felt.  I'm doing a two-week run now leading up to my vacation the first week of August, and plan on doing the real Whole 30 when I return.

So far, I've done well with just eggs, meat, veggies, fat.  But I'm starting to get a little bored and burnt out and know I'll have to liven things up some.  

Any one else out there turn green with the thought of coconut in your meals?  Thanks!

• Moderators

It's going to depend on the recipes, obviously, but you could try subbing broth of some kind, or some compliant almond or cashew or other seed/nut milk in recipes. I'd avoid recipes that have large amounts of coconut anything, just because it has a different texture/feel to it than any other substitute, and there are plenty of options with no coconut at all, or where they only call for coconut oil for cooking which can be easily subbed with ghee, some other oil like olive or macadamia nut oil, or tallow, lard, schmaltz or other animal fat.

I'd concentrate on sauces and dips to add flavor to simple meals -- mayo, if you haven't made it yet, is a great option on just about anything, and can be doctored up with herbs, spices, hot sauce, horseradish, or other options to change the flavor up.

If you have specific recipes that you think sound good, except they have some coconut in them, try googling for different variations of those recipes, or post here in the Cooking section of the forum if you can't find any good alternatives. Lots of people do Whole30 without any coconut at all, due to allergies or disliking the taste, so it can definitely be done.

I have never been a picky eater; I eat almost anything. But before discovering the Whole30, one thing I truly hated was coconut. I didn't like the taste, and I really despised the dry, paper-like shreds.

When I did my first W30, I decided to take the plunge. I didn't want to miss out on all the ways that coconut was being used. And guess what? After not much time at all, I was regularly using coconut oil, coconut milk, and yes, even the shreds now and then.

If you are up for the challenge, I would try this Well Fed green bean recipe first, as the spices take the lead flavor-wise, and the coconut milk is mostly there to make the sauce creamy.

Maybe one day you will even work up to eating the Bora Bora meatballs (also from Well Fed), as I did.

Just don't make me eat eggplant!

Good luck. 

There are an almost infinite number of ways to cook Whole30 compliant foods.

On my Whole30 I ate a wide variety of food. But I also made sure I only ate food I loved.

So why bother with coconut if you don't love it? (I don't, though I do love soups and curries with coconut milk).

My motto was, "why have coconut when you can have olives?" :-)

• Administrators

On my Whole30 I ate a wide variety of food. But I also made sure I only ate food I loved.

This is me, I absolutely do not eat food that I don't like or that isn't good.  Life's too short and there is way too much delicious food out there to waste a meal on something you don't like.

I do try to give the few foods that I don't like another chance now and then -- like every five years or so. After a number of chances in different preparations over a long period of time (which allows for a change in taste), if I still don't like it, I pretty much give up on it (I'm looking at you, lima beans).

Like with coconut: I hadn't eaten it in any form in soooo long because I was convinced I hated it. But now I really like it, so it was worth challenging myself to try it again -- first with the oil, which I didn't find overpowering, and then with the milk, etc. And I'm sure glad I did it.

And now I'm even considering trying eggplant one more time thanks to ladyshanny. So, here's to adventures in cooking and eating! And, yes, sometimes the experiment fails, but if you're lucky, you'll get many more meals in life.

I only like coconut meat one way (other than coating deep fried shrimp which is no go on w 30) and that's it I see the tree it came off of. I love the flavor of coconut but the texture drives me crazy if it's not right off the tree fresh

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I guess I saw so many recipes that called for it, I was wondering if there was a substitute if I wanted to try the recipes but not the coconut.  

There's very few things I dislike, but when I do, I really do.  As in just don't make me eat the eggplant either.

Thanks, again.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.   

• Administrators

We made it last night, and it was delicious! Could another food be off my "hate" list? Wow! Thanks so much for the recommendation. Once again, I am reminded that being brave often produces wonderful results.

Now that you're all super brave about eggplant, you should also immediately try her babaganoush.  Do the blending etc while the eggplant is still slightly warm.  Then lick the spatula and die in glorious, warm, salty, eggplanty heaven!  Trust me.   :)

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/17/eat-your-vegetables-eggplant/

I hate coconut too, I do not digest it well either. So, I avoid it and make my food with other ingredients. 

As a mediterranean person, I eat olive oil instead, and make pestos of all sorts, tomato sauce, mayonnaise of course (you can even add herbs at will, as well as spices), etc.

Also, coconut oil, butter, milk, water, are so expensive ! It's a blessing you don't like it ! :D 

Archived