Question about Restaurant Dressings

JmdX2

The idea of being able to lax on this rule is super convenient and helpful, but I want to be sure I don't mess up. If I become more lax on the no sugar rule won't I be in taking potential soy, gluten or MSG? Isn't that a problem?

"First, to give yourself a little breathing room, relax on the “no added sugar” rule. This doesn’t mean you’re eating cupcakes washed down with energy drinks, but if you want some maple chicken sausage, bacon with your eggs, ketchup on your burger, or the vinaigrette dressing that comes with your restaurant salad, go right ahead. Note that we’re not actually changing your diet much here—you were already eating meat, condiments, and salads with dressing on the Whole30. We’re just broadening your choices a bit, in a way that is unlikely to send you running for the nearest donut shop."

• Administrators

The idea of being able to lax on this rule is super convenient and helpful, but I want to be sure I don't mess up. If I become more lax on the no sugar rule won't I be in taking potential soy, gluten or MSG? Isn't that a problem?

"First, to give yourself a little breathing room, relax on the “no added sugar” rule. This doesn’t mean you’re eating cupcakes washed down with energy drinks, but if you want some maple chicken sausage, bacon with your eggs, ketchup on your burger, or the vinaigrette dressing that comes with your restaurant salad, go right ahead. Note that we’re not actually changing your diet much here—you were already eating meat, condiments, and salads with dressing on the Whole30. We’re just broadening your choices a bit, in a way that is unlikely to send you running for the nearest donut shop."

You would have to ask those questions in your "Life After Whole30".  The only way to know if the dressing you want to use has those ingredients in is to ask.  Personally if it was me, I would ask because I do not eat soy, gluten or MSG under any circumstances. You may create different rules for yourself. 

Big picture-wise, salad dressing is a bad example for Whole30 to use for the "relax on the no added sugar" tip, because you can pretty much guarantee that any dressing in a restaurant is going to use soybean oil.

Archived