Easy Slow Cooker Recipes without Onion or Garlic

LindaLee

Neither I nor my husband care for onion or garlic (even in small amounts), but I love cooking in my slow cooker. We have a TON of pork from a wild hog he killed and we butchered a while ago, that we really need to use (partially to clean out our freezer for the deer he'll get in November).

What are some slow cooker basics that I can use to create our own dishes?

Thank you -

You could always make a large pork stew. Use some of the less desirable pieces. Put some large chopped turnips, parsnips, celery and cabbage in the crock pot. (Or use whatever veggies you have and like)

Put the pork on top of the veggies, add salt and pepper to taste and maybe other spices you like. ( I like to add basil, oregano, thyme, Smoked paprika). Then on top of it all add a large can of dices tomatoes with the juice. Cook it on low for 6 - 8 hours, adjust the salt and pepper to your taste and you are good to go. When it is done you could always thicken the juices a little bit with coconut flour. Should be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I ended up with...and it was delicious, both the first time I made it and today:

http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/01/09/beyond-easy-pulled-pork/

I left out the onions, onion powder, and chipotle, but it was still very flavorful and incredibly tender. This is a great way to use up the pork we've had left for a while...and I think I'll try it with venison this fall, too!

That looks so good and I have everything but the pork butt. Can't wait to make it. I think it would be delicious stuffed into zucchini, butternut or acorn squash, poured over spaghetti squash or wrapped in butter lettuce leaves.

Archived