Dish ideas for large group potluck?

jlk1980

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently on day 5 and have a birthday party/potluck coming up. Aside from worrying about what I'll do at the sight of free cake, I'm wondering what I can bring to the party that's fun for everyone, but compliant for me. I was thinking (compliant) bacon wrapped dates (which is borderline- since sugar is my big problem, I'm trying to avoid dates) or a salad. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Taco meat and guac

Veggie tray and compliant dip

Pulled pork

Grilled chicken salad

Meatballs in marinara or compliant bbq sauce

Crockpot tacos al pastor (I don't remember what website I found the recipe on but the only thing that give it its sweetness is pineapple and it's delicious.)

If advise against foods that you won't want to stop eating, especially if that is the only food you're sure will be compliant. Take something you'll eat as a part of a template. Since proteins and fats are often the hardest to guarantee compliance if there are fresh veggies, i would opt toward bringing a meat and/or fat to share with everyone. Stash some olives/tinned fish in your bag and you should be ok.

Thanks for all the ideas! I know there will be compliant guac and salsa, and veggies and fruit there, and a friend is making me a couple compliant (without cheese) armadillo eggs (jalapenos wrapped in sausage, then wrapped in bacon and then grilled) and there will be burgers as well. And a few of my friends are nondrinkers, so I'm not going to feel like the only sober person at the party. I'll have some nuts or something in my purse, but I'm not too worried about not having options. Just worried about what will happen when cake is also there.

• Moderators

The idea of taking extra fat to have if the cake is tempting is pretty sound.

Bacon wrapped sweet potatoes or potatoes would feel like a treat, and having a few extra instead of cake wouldn't have your sugar dragon roaring.

Assuming it's a casual party where you'll be up moving around, mingling with different groups, when the cake is being served, move as far away from it as you can reasonably get -- if you can go sit in another room or outside, or go talk to a group of people at the far side of the room, that'll help you avoid it. Might also help to have your hands full -- a plate with some food left on it, and your drink in the other hand, and oh, look, you can't possibly take that piece of cake right now.

• Administrators

Try to reframe your own personal dialogue, too.  "I can't have any" is defeatist and negative.  "I choose not to eat cake right now" or "No thanks, I'm good for now" are good options.  Unless you have a person chasing you around with the cake, both those options empower you immediately and dust off the person offering and they will rarely come back around again.

Archived