How hard will this be for me to do the Whole 30?

I've tried to eat the paleo diet in the past and felt better on it, but I'm considering the Whole30.  However, I absolutely can't stand anything coconut.  Don't tell me I'll get used to it because I've tried and it just gags me.  Also, I have gut and arthritis problems and want to avoid nightshades.  It has been really hard to find paleo recipes without nightshades or coconut in some form.

• Administrators

I've tried to eat the paleo diet in the past and felt better on it, but I'm considering the Whole30.  However, I absolutely can't stand anything coconut.  Don't tell me I'll get used to it because I've tried and it just gags me.  Also, I have gut and arthritis problems and want to avoid nightshades.  It has been really hard to find paleo recipes without nightshades or coconut in some form.

Hi Marti, unless you know for sure that you have issues with nightshades, our general recommendation is to complete the standard Whole30 first without adding further restrictions like the AIP.  Whole30 is an anti-inflammatory program anyway and most people see a significant reduction in inflammation by doing the program as written.  Certainly your choice if you want to go right to AIP but that level of restriction is often not necessary and makes the first-time Whole30 extremely difficult to stick to.

As far as coconut, not necessary, just bypass that one!  :)

Archived