Day 7 - craving FAT

Hi, all.

As my topic title suggests, I'm on day 7, and I've been experiencing some pretty intense fat cravings for the past 24 hours or so thank god no sugar cravings, I just want All The Fats).

Some potentially relevant information: I'm finally recovered from a REALLY bad upper respiratory infection that started on day 1 and is only just now going away (still a little junk in my lungs but otherwise I feel fine).  Also, I'm a lady and finishing up a monthly cycle (or is it, starting? in any case my period is ending!).  And finally, I'm a runner, and I'm training for a marathon this fall.  I JUST got back on the horse this morning because the sickness derailed my training, as did 5 days of travel right before I fell sick.  So until this morning, I had not run for about two weeks (except for a 5k on July 4th), but I did hike yesterday and have been back to my yoga routines this week.  

I'm just wondering what the deal is with the fat cravings and if I should indulge them?  I feel like I already eat a pretty decent amount of it with all of my meals!

Thanks!

• Moderators

I'd say go ahead and eat fat if that's what you're craving. I don't see a food log for you anywhere, so it's hard to know if you are eating enough fat, but in general, if you're eating real, whole foods, you're unlikely to really overeat the fat. (Unless we're talking nuts/nut butters -- those you can overeat pretty easily, and craving those in particular may not really be about the fat.) But definitely, if you want some more olives or avocado or mayo with your meal, go for it. If you find yourself eating the fat from your steak where you'd normally cut it off, don't panic.

One thing that seems to happen is that people who come from a background of restricting, whether they were counting calories or carbs or fat grams or whatever, seem to want a lot of food, and sometimes in particular a lot of fat, when they first start their Whole30. I assume it's something about your body going, yay! She's giving me fuel! Must eat up now, in case she takes it away again!  (<-- totally scientific explanation there :D) Typically these cravings lessen in a few days.

Thanks for the response!  (Oh, and my bad, I'm actually on day 8, not 7...!)  

I've been logging my meals (I keep a W30 journal with meals, activities, and notes on how I feel each day), so I can provide some if that helps.  I just didn't add those to start with.  

I've actually been largely avoiding nuts!  I love them but I'm coming from a background of a lot of GI issues so I'm trying to keep nuts and nut butters to a minimum.  I'm craving coconut butter, avocado, mayo and other compliant fatty sauces, fatty meats like carnitas... etc.

Here are my meals the past three days, including so far today:

DAY SIX - July 11, 2016

Breakfast: Large plate of sauteed purple cabbage topped with a fried egg, three homemade sausage patties, frank’s red hot.  Coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Salad of 1 zucchini turned into “zoodles”, ½ cup shredded carrots, two salmon cakes, homemade ranch dressing.  Cup of berries with tbsp coconut butter.  Can of coconut la croix.

Dinner: Oven chicken fajitas with chipotle sauce (homemade cashew-based sauce that is compliant) and pico, spaghetti squash, pan fried plantains.  Water to drink.

DAY SEVEN - July 12, 2016

Breakfast: 3 cups sauteed cabbage in ghee with ½ cup pineapple pico, three breakfast sausage patties, 1 cup berries with 1.5 tbsp coconut butter.  Coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Large salad of kale-cabbage slaw and shredded carrots dressed with chipotle sauce, topped with 2 salmon patties, half an avocado (which I ended up not eating all of), and 3 tbsp homemade ranch.  Can of coconut la croix.

Dinner: Cauliflower puree (steamed cauli, cashew cream, ghee, garlic powder) topped with fried apples and a chicken apple sausage.  Water.

DAY EIGHT - July 13, 2016

Pre-WO: Boiled egg, small cup coffee with coconut milk and gelatin

Post-WO: Roasted chicken breast, small serving of plain roasted sweet potato, glass of water

Breakfast: Two salmon cakes, 2 cups sauteed kale/cabbage slaw with 1 cup leftover fried apples.  Spoon of coconut butter.  Reheated coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Leftover oven fajitas (1.5 cups or so) sauteed with 1 cup spaghetti squash, topped with ½ avocado and 3 tbsp chipotle sauce.  Can of passionfruit la croix.

• Administrators

Thanks for the response!  (Oh, and my bad, I'm actually on day 8, not 7...!)  

I've been logging my meals (I keep a W30 journal with meals, activities, and notes on how I feel each day), so I can provide some if that helps.  I just didn't add those to start with.  

I've actually been largely avoiding nuts!  I love them but I'm coming from a background of a lot of GI issues so I'm trying to keep nuts and nut butters to a minimum.  I'm craving coconut butter, avocado, mayo and other compliant fatty sauces, fatty meats like carnitas... etc.

Here are my meals the past three days, including so far today:

DAY SIX - July 11, 2016

Breakfast: Large plate of sauteed purple cabbage topped with a fried egg, three homemade sausage patties, frank’s red hot.  Coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Salad of 1 zucchini turned into “zoodles”, ½ cup shredded carrots, two salmon cakes, homemade ranch dressing.  Cup of berries with tbsp coconut butter.  Can of coconut la croix.

Dinner: Oven chicken fajitas with chipotle sauce (homemade cashew-based sauce that is compliant) and pico, spaghetti squash, pan fried plantains.  Water to drink.

DAY SEVEN - July 12, 2016

Breakfast: 3 cups sauteed cabbage in ghee with ½ cup pineapple pico, three breakfast sausage patties, 1 cup berries with 1.5 tbsp coconut butter.  Coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Large salad of kale-cabbage slaw and shredded carrots dressed with chipotle sauce, topped with 2 salmon patties, half an avocado (which I ended up not eating all of), and 3 tbsp homemade ranch.  Can of coconut la croix.

Dinner: Cauliflower puree (steamed cauli, cashew cream, ghee, garlic powder) topped with fried apples and a chicken apple sausage.  Water.

DAY EIGHT - July 13, 2016

Pre-WO: Boiled egg, small cup coffee with coconut milk and gelatin

Post-WO: Roasted chicken breast, small serving of plain roasted sweet potato, glass of water

Breakfast: Two salmon cakes, 2 cups sauteed kale/cabbage slaw with 1 cup leftover fried apples.  Spoon of coconut butter.  Reheated coffee with coconut milk and gelatin.

Lunch: Leftover oven fajitas (1.5 cups or so) sauteed with 1 cup spaghetti squash, topped with ½ avocado and 3 tbsp chipotle sauce.  Can of passionfruit la croix.

Your protein might be a bit on the small side. The salmon cakes aren't very large, a minimum serving of those in our house is 3. The oven fajitas probably contained peppers/onions and meat? You may not have gotten at least a palm of protein.  One chicken apple sausage isn't enough.  The sausage patties, if they are proper thin ones, were likely barely a palm of protein. 

Try upping your protein, add a bit more fat if you want it and see how you do.

Alright, I'll try to be more conscious of the protein.  The salmon patties are pretty big (they are the Mel Joulwan recipe for oven-fried salmon cakes, they're 1/3 cup each measured out), but I can try eating three in a sitting instead of two... when I make more because my kids and I polished them off today ;)  For the sausages, I could probably increase those, though on my Day 6 I also had a fried egg so I figured I was good for protein.  

In any case I'll try to make sure I'm adding a little more with meals. 

• Administrators

Alright, I'll try to be more conscious of the protein.  The salmon patties are pretty big (they are the Mel Joulwan recipe for oven-fried salmon cakes, they're 1/3 cup each measured out), but I can try eating three in a sitting instead of two... when I make more because my kids and I polished them off today ;)  For the sausages, I could probably increase those, though on my Day 6 I also had a fried egg so I figured I was good for protein.  

In any case I'll try to make sure I'm adding a little more with meals. 

Yep, those are the ones I was referring to.  2 of them isn't a very large serving.  The Day 6 protein serving at Meal one was fine............the sausages alone the next day was probably a little lacking.

You're reporting needing more of something and the protein stood out. If you don't want to increase that and instead just honor your increased fat needs, that's fine too.

I think I'll try increasing my protein first and see how I feel, especially since I'm jumping back into the marathon training and my mileage is going to be steadily increasing for a couple months.  If I'm still craving fat after a few days, I'll honor that.  One of the things I'm really striving for during this Whole 30 is to be more in tune with my body's signals - I tended to ignore them before, or not "trust" them.  

Thanks again!

Archived