Can I have Coconut Water

daniellevincent

I searched the forum and read the program rules completely and haven't found an answer, so hopefully someone can help.

I have 100% organic coconut water. Not coconut milk for coffee. Not coconut sugar.

It has no sugar added, just plain coconut water.

I ask because it's REALLY sweet so it might violate the "no substituting x for bad thing" rule. OR it might fall within the "fruit juice is ok" rule. (wait, is fruit juice ok? I did a search for "fruit" on the Whole30 program rules and it just says "fruit juice as a sweetener")

Thanks very much!

- Danielle

• Moderators

Coconut water is basically a lighter fruit juice. Fruit juice is OK to sweeten a recipe, it's OK to add a splash of fruit juice to your water or sparkling water occasionally. It's not really okay to just drink by the glass.

Coconut water can be useful for rehydration if you're working outside in the heat for long periods of time or if you're doing long distance races.

http://whole9life.com/2010/08/replenishment-drinks/

' We hear this a lot, and while there’s nothing wrong with coconut water, we really don’t see anything super extra right about it either. We’re big fans of plain old WATER, and in trying to mitigate as much added sugar as possible, don’t see the purported up sides of coconut water outweighing the extra liquid sugar in our diets.'

Yeah, I guess for me it's never been about replenishment, just that I often feel better for the rest of the day after having it.

But then again, I'm not here because I've made stellar decisions about food and drink in my past. ;)

It sounds like it's technically ok, but probably not in the first few weeks until I break my psychological addiction to sugar.

• Moderators

It sounds like it's technically ok, but probably not in the first few weeks until I break my psychological addiction to sugar.

It's technically okay if you are running a marathon, or if you're outside all day in the heat working hard, or if you do physical labor, especially in a place with no air conditioning and are dripping sweat all day and need the replenishment. If those things do not apply to you, skip it completely for 30 days. Okay?

If you are hungry, eat food. If you are thirsty (and even if you are not feeling thirsty), drink water -- 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, drink at least 60 oz of water a day. Occasionally, you could have coffee or tea or sparkling water or some compliant kombucha, or you could occasionally add a little fruit juice to some water or sparkling water -- but mostly, drink plain water. Lots of it.

Eating plenty of vegetables of different types, eating healthy proteins and plenty of healthy fats, salting your food to taste, and drinking plenty of water should ensure you do not need more of whatever stuff is in coconut water, unless you meet one of those conditions I listed above -- and even then, you probably wouldn't technically have to have the coconut water, it would just be an easy way to get that stuff into your body quickly if you were feeling dehydrated and couldn't seem to drink enough water.

Embrace the rules and the recommendations of Whole30 for 30 days and see what happens. If it doesn't work for you, the coconut water will still be there when you're done.

Archived