the kind of coconut oil that doesn't smell/taste?

Cynthia Gibas

Hi all. Noob here (first post) getting ready to start a Whole 30 in a few weeks. I am in the investigating/trying out phase, trying out at least one compliant meal a day, buying my first bottle of coconut aminos, etc.

Anyway. I already use coconut oil to cook with as one of my go-to fats. But I've been getting refined coconut oil because unless I'm cooking a curry I find the strong smell/taste of the virgin coconut oil to be a little offputting. The other day, I was talking to my dad who is taking coconut oil medicinally for Parkinsons on the advice of some friends (as far as I know this is not based on peer-reviewed science but on a combination of Ayurveda and hearsay). They believe that all of the "good stuff" is gone from the refined coconut oil, that it chemically changes the fats somehow.

Is there anything to this? What's the Whole30 take on refined vs. virgin? I haven't been able to find anything but one mention of buying the refined kind in the Paleo Poor article.

I'm actually not sure but I've heard the same. I can tell you from experience that you do tend to get used to the coconut taste very quickly. I used to hate it also. If there's something I can't stomach it in, I use clarified butter instead. Refined might be ok but I think it's probably sub-optimal. The real stuff tastes great with tomato sauces and sautéed onions!

• 3 months later...

Perhaps you can try the Nature's Way variety. I find it has less of a coconut flavor than the NOW brand or Artisana. Also Dr. Bronner's has a good coconut oil (two of which are unrefined) that come from different processes, I believe, and they both have a different taste. All of the oils that I just mentioned are unrefined.

Hope this helps!

I think the higher quality you go for the less "coconutty" it smells/tastes. I had been using Trader Joe's coconut oil for a while and recently started using Dr. Bronner's "MAGIC" coconut oil which I think has less of a taste to it. Amazon tends to have a good source of reviews for things like this so you may want to research different brands there.

Archived