Uh oh-- do I have to start over?

Today is day 14. I have been rocking the Whole 30-- through holidays, husbands illness causing majors stress, and entertaining. Last night we had some friends for dinner. I did not even lick my finger as I prepared hummus and spicy eggplant ( leaving some of the eggplant aside for me). I didnt eat the quinoa that my guest so generously provided nor the gluten free cookies ( they were really trying) and drinking now is a total non-issue ( what a surprise!)

This morning I realized that the chicken I served, which I made and froze 3 weeks ago, had wine in the recipe. I am utterly devastated. And slightly nauseous to boot.

Give me the truth. Am I starting over? I can do it and I had been thinking about going until Thanksgiving anyway but I was waiting to commit that to myself until after this week.

If i have to start over do I add 15 onto the back or start reading again at day 1?

You poor thing :(. I don't have a lot of light to shed on the matter, since I'm only a week (but technically only 3 days =/) into the whole thing. Just wanted to offer my sympathy, as I had to start over Friday (after accidentally eating flour Wednesday). I will say that restarting the Whole30 daily emails was the wrong choice, at least for me. Since it was such a tiny indiscretion, it didn't have any effect on my progress, and so I'm having to reread the same emails that don't really apply now. That's frustrating. I wish I could skip back to where I'm supposed to be.

FWIW, which is not a lot, I figure if the wine was cooked, it shouldn't be a big deal--I don't know what the difference between that and the approved fruit juice for flavoring would be. I'm sure someone will let me know :).

Hang in there!

I am sure one of the MODS will respond to you, but from what I have seen others post, perhaps it is a "lesson learned" and move forward--you didn't do it on purpose, you didn't cheat, and (hopefully) most of the alcohol content was burned off during cooking. I think gluten and dairy are two of the most major reasons to restart.

I agree with Tasha. All of the alcohol doesn't burn off, but most of it does and it was not gluten or dairy..although it was probably sulphites unless you buy sulphite free. I really think the Mods will say "learn from it and move on". If they say you do need to start over, I would just continue to a Whole44 rather than start at day one. For me, that would be mentally better. Don't start the Daily emails at day one. I think it would deflate you and take the wind out of your sails.

Today's Whole 30 daily post talks extensively about what happens if you accidentally infest something that is not W30 approved. It's a terrific and inspiring read. All day yesterday I was so mad at myself. But i just stayed the course-- because i do feel so much better. This post allows for forgiveness. And gives personal options for moving ahead.

My commitment is that I am in for the Whole 45.

Archived