laryngopharyngeal reflux

aezj

Long story short: Sore throat since July and I'm experiencing the taste of stomach acid just pooling in my throat. No strep, etc. I'm awaiting an ENT visit. I'm pretty sure I have laryngopharyngeal reflux. I'm pretty miserable most days. Any help??

I'm pretty sure I have LERD too (but it sounds like youre might be worse). Most of what I've read about it suggests dietary/lifestyle changes, plus some medications. There are a bunch of sites out there with info about LERD but some don't have too much info - I found this one helpful - http://www.fauquierent.net/lpr.htm (Most recommend some dietary and lifestyle changes; dietary like cutting out wheat, dairy, and eggs, some suggest cutting out nightshades, and anything acidic.)

I've been putting off an ENT appointment for months now (I had never even heard of LERD until a few months ago, but have had the symptoms for years...always thought it was just some annoying sinus problem). I tried taking Prilosec for a few days to see if it would help, but started getting dizzy a lot and had to stop. But, whenever I stop eating strict paleo/Whole30, like, whenever I have ice cream or any dairy, my symptoms suddenly get a lot worse. (It's funny, because I never notice when they're getting better, then I have ice cream or something else, and bam, they're worse and Im miserable!)

Hopefully the above site helps a little and you can get in to see the doctor soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Try sleeping on a special elevated pillow (with memory foam). Takes a little getting used to, but after awhile it will not be a problem. Sleeping this way stops the stomach acid backing up into your throat during the night. It has made a huge difference to me, and I am not on any medication. Unfortunately, coffee is one of the worst offenders for me, but I do drink it occasionally. I find if I am busy and moving around it helps. If I am just sitting down, it really bothers my stomach. I am on Day 19 of my first Whole30, and I have been feeling a lot better since I started eating Paleo!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived