Method to freeze salmon cakes

laurenco26

Has anyone tried freezing Salmon cakes? We really love the recipe from well fed so I want to make a double batch. Should I cook then flash freeze like I do with meatballs or maybe form into patties and freeze then cook from freezer when we want them again?

• Administrators

Haha, leftovers. I made a double batch of these last night.  There are two left after dinner for two, lunches for two and pre-workout snack for me for both a morning and an afternoon workout.

I would think that these are not going to freeze very well, to be honest.  You'd probably have to cook them first because of the egg content but I'm imagining them being pretty soggy when you defrost them.  Maybe someone else has actual experience.  ;)

• Moderators

They freeze okay, I've done it before with the Well Fed recipe. I cooked them first, then froze them, reheated them in my toaster oven, wrapped in foil at first to warm all the way through, then a minute or two unwrapped so they would get less soggy. Honestly, though, even for just me, I can do a double batch and happily eat them every day until they're gone so I don't usually bother.

This is from Mel Joulwan's response to a question in the comments section of this recipe from her website about the best way to reheat these:

Melissa Joulwan says:

I’m glad you like them!

They store well in the fridge and the freezer. To reheat, you have two options:

Stovetop: I usually bring about 2-3 tablespoons water to boil in a skillet then add the cold salmon cakes. When the water is evaporated and the cakes are almost heated through, I plop a little fat in the pan and re-crisp them.

Oven: Wrap in foil and reheat at about 350F until hot, then open the foil to the cakes can get crisp, about 5 more minutes.

They freeze okay, I've done it before with the Well Fed recipe. I cooked them first, then froze them, reheated them in my toaster oven, wrapped in foil at first to warm all the way through, then a minute or two unwrapped so they would get less soggy. Honestly, though, even for just me, I can do a double batch and happily eat them every day until they're gone so I don't usually bother.

This is from Mel Joulwan's response to a question in the comments section of this recipe from her website about the best way to reheat these:

Thank you. I guess I was more worried about not having enough variety and eating salmon and potatoes too many days in a row than whether or not we would eat them. A normal batch is enough for dinner and lunch the next day for 2 of us. I don't know if it's ok to eat salmon 4 days in a row or 4 days out of the week

• Moderators

Variety is good, and I certainly wouldn't eat salmon every day for weeks and weeks in a row, but I figure an occasional salmon heavy week is probably not too big a deal. I don't make the salmon cakes all that often, and don't always double the recipe either, so I'm not too concerned. Because I'm only cooking for me, and I know that many times, despite my best intentions, foods that I cook in bulk and freeze for later don't all get eaten, I just accept that in a particular week, my variety may not be huge. I do try to vary things from week to week to make up for it.

I do try to have more variety in my vegetables throughout the week, though -- that seems to be easier for me than getting variety in my proteins.

You'll figure out over time what works for you and the way you meal prep.

Archived