Dry Mouth

I've seen this on here a few times but thought I'd ask just in case.

I'm about three weeks into my Whole 30. Things are going great. I'm feeling really great, eating three good meals a day, and am not hungry between meals. The only thing I've been experiencing is yucky dry mouth, especially at night. I'm drinking lots of water (more than I ever have before). What's up? Am I in ketosis? From what I've read, it seems like that's not a good thing so I want to be sure I'm not doing anything that's going to be damaging to my body.

In terms of what I'm eating, I've been eating a breakfast casserole each morning that includes peppers, sweet potatoes, eggs, and sausage. For lunch, usually leftovers but for the past couple of days, that's been a chicken taco soup with peppers, onion, and tomatoes, along with an avocado. Dinner varies with different proteins, usually a salad with another veggie like green beans, sweet potatoes, or zucchini. Am I not getting enough of something?

Thanks for your help!

Christy

• Moderators

Hi Christy -- this question has been asked before. If you google "whole 30 [your question]" that will usually get you the best results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=whole30+dry+mouth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=whole30+dry+mouth+site:forum.whole30.com

You don't mention amounts of food -- are you eating approximately a palm to two palms of protein, 2-3 cups veggies and the appropriate amount of fat at every meal? Are you drinking enough water?

I don't see many starchy veggies so you may want to try adding more sweet potato, beets, rutabaga, parsnips, etc. to your salads or as a side to Meal 3.

• Moderators

A dry mouth at night is more likely to be from mouth breathing than from anything you are eating or not eating. 

I know it sounds weird, but I taped my mouth shut at bed time for about a week. I did not get dry mouth that week. :) After a week, I stopped taping my mouth and have not gone back to the dry mouth that I experienced before. It seemed that I learned to breathe through my nose better after a week of training. 

A dry mouth at night is more likely to be from mouth breathing than from anything you are eating or not eating. 

I know it sounds weird, but I taped my mouth shut at bed time for about a week. I did not get dry mouth that week. :) After a week, I stopped taping my mouth and have not gone back to the dry mouth that I experienced before. It seemed that I learned to breathe through my nose better after a week of training.

I've been trying to stop mouth-breathing for ages and I've never seen this suggestion before - I'm definitely trying it. I think I started the habit of mouth breathing when I was a kid and had a lot of colds.

Archived