Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

Today is Day 3 -- finally! after Doing Day 1 at least 3 times last week!

I am a Reflexologist so I am pretty health-minded.  I teach classes on natural healing and wellness.  I was raised on garden-fresh fruits and veggies, whole food preservation, vitamins, and outdoor exercise.  My sister is a health coach. 

And YET I am 50+ lbs overweight, sluggish, brain-fried, depressed, and addicted to sugar and caffeine.   Last April, a friend suggested we go backpacking this September.  That is something I love to do and haven't for about 10 years, so it's been a great motivation to lose weight and get in shape..... except that it's now July and I haven't made a whole lot of progress.  So I knew I had to do something drastic.  I have to do this Whole30 that I've been saying I'm going to do for almost a year now.  I have to live what I say I believe.... not just so I can lose weight or go backpacking, but so I can be true to who I really am.   

Sun Day 1 - spent a couple hours chopping veggies and boiling eggs so I'd have ready to make meals.  Actually made it the whole day without junk food -- Day 1 finally down!

Mon Day 2 - slept like 11 hours and still exhausted.  Depressed.  Bad back ache, headache; tylenol does not help.  But not hungry or really even craving anything -- except the knowledge that a Coke and a candy bar would take the edge off.  But I refrained!!

Tues Day 3 - back-ache much improved.  still tired and depressed, but considering the possibility that I've BEEN tired and depressed all along, I just covered it up with sugar.   Today was the first day in a couple months I've started the day without a sneezing fit.  

Just found out a group I belong to is having a potluck tomorrow night -- Italian theme!   :blink:    Gonna have to really plan.   

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun Day 1 - spent a couple hours chopping veggies and boiling eggs so I'd have ready to make meals.  Actually made it the whole day without junk food -- Day 1 finally down!

Mon Day 2 - slept like 11 hours and still exhausted.  Depressed.  Bad back ache, headache; tylenol does not help.  But not hungry or really even craving anything -- except the knowledge that a Coke and a candy bar would take the edge off.  But I refrained!!

Tues Day 3 - back-ache much improved.  still tired and depressed, but considering the possibility that I've BEEN tired and depressed all along, I just covered it up with sugar.   Today was the first day in a couple months I've started the day without a sneezing fit.  

Just found out a group I belong to is having a potluck tomorrow night -- Italian theme!   :blink:    Gonna have to really plan.   

Hey there! Good for you on the progress so far - keep it up!

I just wanted to add that I realized - once the sugar was really out of my system - that I'd been feeding my depression with sugar and junk food for going on 23 years. I realized this on... I think Day 10? So you are ahead of me, and you are not alone. It was really hard for me to face the disorder without my crutch for the first time, but I did it with the support of my loved ones, and I know you can do it, too. There isn't a switch to be flipped that indicates "fixed" - it takes time, and it is worth it.

For your Italian theme... if you have the Whole30 cookbook, the tomato sauce and spaghetti squash are DELICIOUS, especially with the chicken meatballs or some ground beef.

Thank you Staggolee for the encouragement and the potluck idea.  

Several weeks ago I did a sugar detox with another program and found I was crying all the time, but it felt sort of good, like an emotional detox that I didn't want to cover up anymore.  

For the dinner, I'm thinking plain meatballs in an Italian-style salad, but now I think I'll get some spaghetti squash too. Thanks for the idea.  I don't really do tomatoes either, so I'll find some other way to sauce it up!

Day 5 - Made it through a potluck last night and dinner out tonight!  I was running late last night so threw (almost literally!) together some lettuce, artichokes, olives, and grape tomatoes into a salad bowl and managed to sauté up some ground turkey with fresh oregano, thyme, and garlic into some decent mini meatballs.  The missing cheese and creamy dressing made me sad, but it was good and everyone else seemed to like it too.  Fortunately there was a spaghetti squash dish and some other veggies I could eat.   Getting together with old friends did me good!     

Tonight,  I explained my Whole30 adventure to a friend, and she agreed to find a restaurant with a good salad bar.   -- Oil and vinegar for dressing!!

I'm feeling a lot better than the first few days, and it seems my pants are fitting more loosely -- is that possible in just 5 days??  Wow.  

Yay YOU and welcome aboard!  Love the dry run you gave Day 1 last week!  Way to go at the potluck and not giving in to what could have been temptation(s).  Every victory adds up and makes the 30 days even more memorable.

Look forward to seeing your progress!  :)

Yay YOU and welcome aboard!  Love the dry run you gave Day 1 last week!  Way to go at the potluck and not giving in to what could have been temptation(s).  Every victory adds up and makes the 30 days even more memorable.

Look forward to seeing your progress!  :)

Thank you Jager07. The encouragement on here is really helpful

This morning it's a big bowl of steamed cabbage, carrots, fennel and onions with Turkey and olive oil drizzled on top for fat. A little bland even for breakfast but it was quick and easy. I'm learning to enjoy making up breakfasts and lunches the night before. And feeling way better about having something yummy on hand rather than relying on fast food so much (or going hungry).

Casey, I find breakfast is the defining and most important meal of the day - propels you into the day and if you get into a rhythm it soon becomes second nature. Flavour is an important part of that - if it's bland you won't look forward to it.

My staple breakfast is a stir-fry: 1 clove of garlic and some peppers fried in a decent amount of olive oil, a tomato and a couple of mushrooms chopped, salt & pepper, make a well in the middle add eggs (2 or 3 for one person, 4 for two), swirl them around and cook slowly, then throw in a handful of chopped spinach or kale on top, a little more salt & pepper. A squeeze of lemon juice and/or a chopped spring onion after serving. Takes about 15 mins.

Good luck! Sounds like you're going really well. You will start to notice the changes pretty quickly which is motivating. And it only takes a few days for the crazy cravings to die down a bit :)

Thanks for the stir fry idea Dave.   I was thinking of doing a stir fry with eggs and wasn't sure how it would turn out so I can't wait to try making a well and cracking the eggs into it and swirling them around.  Do you crack them straight in, or beat them first?   I've actually had some really good breakfasts this week, including a left-over curry,  stir fried cabbage with breakfast sausage, and spinach/egg scramble.  I do find it hard to eat that much in the morning, but today I was not hungry at all and so put off eating breakfast, thus having a little coffee on an empty stomach - found out that was a bad idea and had to find something to eat really fast.  

Day 7!!!  The trick is telling myself that this is a small goal line, but not the goal - like one lap around the track.  I'm really good at doing new things for about a week, and then it just fizzles.  So I'm recounting my small victories to keep me motivated -- cravings stopped, clothes fit better, enjoying cooking again -- and starting next week as if it's a whole new and different challenge.  As I'm sure it will be.  

Go Casey! The small victories are the best and they do add up! (And speed up which is a bonus).

With the stir fry, I just crack the eggs straight in, break the yolks and swirl them a bit. As they cook I might move them around a bit more but not too much. You could beat them first but I kinda like the texture of the yolk and whites when they're not uniform. Also watch your heat levels - too much and they will brown quickly (which I don't really like but it's up to you). :)

Day 8 - today is the hardest day yet in terms of cravings and motivation to stay on plan. I feel almost as terrible as day 2 and 3 and am craving my old junk food favorites really seriously for the first time all week.

I had extra fruit yesterday and wonder if that set up sugar cravings. Having typical Sunday afternoon habits a little different than the rest of the wk factor in also I think.

Staying on this plan is opening my eyes to other places in my life I need more self control... And helping me believe I can do it there too. I've used sugar to cover up uncomfortable circumstances and feelings and some days I've felt like my mind is coming out of a cocoon of some kind and I'm beginning to not only face other needed changes but to believe in myself and trust myself in new ways.

At them same time, I've started reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross which states that much depression, anxiety etc can be healed with nutrition. More on that later.

You can do it !!!!   NSV (non scale victories) are what kept me going too !!   Preparation is KEY !  then you have no reason to reach for that pizza you hid in the freezer -  OK  maybe you didn't hide one - I did !

I always made sure that there was always something ready to just toss together.  My go to for mornings, is a "garbage bowl"  from Nom Nom Paleo.  Basically I stir fry cabbage - and add whatever else I want.  Then toss in browned ground beef or ground pork - leftover grilled chicken.. even shrimp. add some stock for a juice and then add coconut milk to make creamy.

Good luck with your 30 !!

Great job, Casey!  The small victories really do add up, making you feel empowered and ready to tackle the next one.   

I love how you're recounting the victories you've experienced so far.  Even if you name just 3 of them before you get out of bed, you've started the day winning.  It just gets better from there.

You're doing so many things right and we're all cheering you on.  Stay connected and reach out any time you have a challenge...we're in this together.  :D

Thank you Tina for your support. I did spend a huge amount of time this evening preparing for this week.... Kept me occupied as well as focused. I like your tag line: feel the fear and do it anyway.

Great job, Casey!  The small victories really do add up, making you feel empowered and ready to tackle the next one.   

I love how you're recounting the victories you've experienced so far.  Even if you name just 3 of them before you get out of bed, you've started the day winning.  It just gets better from there.

You're doing so many things right and we're all cheering you on.  Stay connected and reach out any time you have a challenge...we're in this together.  :D

I think a post didnt get posted. .... Had wanted to say thank you to Jager07. Especially for the idea of recounting small victories even before getting out of bed!

Made it to day 10! More later . gotta sleep!

Day 12 - not the greatest but didn't go off plan in spite of being one of the worst days of cravings. Good news is I proved to myself I could deal with it without sugar milk or grains!

Fruit is really tempting this time of year but I think need more time to even out my blood sugar before I go back to it very much.

Having great success with amino acid supplements for managing the lethargy, depression, and fogginess that are being uncovered - AND removing the false-help/stress of sugar and chemicals is giving me the strength to finally deal with other things in my life.

My stomach seems flatter and doesn't hurt/feel uncomfortable when I bend over.... I didn't realize it did until it stopped!

Tomorrow is payday so I'm looking forward to being able to spend money for more creative and fun recipes.

Well I blew it. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Yesterday was an amazing day shopping at farmers' market, prepping for the week, making ghee etc. I was delighted to use my mother's big kitchen instead of my rv sized, one burner, tiny fridge, almost-a-kitchen. I carefully packed my bento box to meet a friend for hiking and swimming. I was pumped for week three.

Then she called and cancelled. So I switched gears fast and caught up with an impromptu family get together in a nearby town. I had brought my whole30 dinner box, but when someone suggested steak stir fry for din I jumped on board..... Only to later find our precious steak soaking in a bottled marinade!! I read the ingredients and quietly stated I would skip the meat - but it suddenly became a big deal. "What do you mean?! Why didn't you tell me?!" - I didn't know, and I just did. "Why won't you eat that good organic sauce?!" - Well, soy products and sugar substitutes are the first four ingredients... I stopped reading after that. Long story short I picked out some meat, washed it off and sauted up my own mini skillet next to the saucy skillet.... So far so good. Then, against my original better judgement I got talked into spending the night. My aunt wanted to fix us all breakfast but seeemed confused by various allergies and restrictions. I said I could have scrambled eggs and would pick out the ham. She said she'd leave the cheese on the side but when I went to get my plate I discovered cheese melted in. I didn't want another scene. I didnt want to hurt her feelings. I didnt want another barrage of incredulous questions. I didn't know if there were any more eggs. I thought perhaps I'd eat around the cheese... Yea, right. I gobbled the whole thing, cheese, ham and all. I thought it wouldn't matter. That it wasn't my fault and I'd continue on. But it did matter. I couldnt see myself getting to day 31 and saying I did it, knowing I didn't really. (And I started feeling spacey and headachy within 15 minutes)

The crazy thing is that I wasn't tempted by cheese. I didn't give into a craving. I gave into keeping the peace in my family at my own expense. I gave into putting someone else's ease above what is really important to me. And whether anyone who might be reading this can understand, that is really valuable information for me to get on this journey I'm on. So all is not lost. I learned and I will start over. I will plan ahead better when I am out of my own routine and when what is put in front of me FEELS out of my control. I will continue learn about my relationship with myself and with food and others.

Interestingly, I felt so out of control all morning, but when I finally ate a whole30 meal about 1pm, the world seemed to come back together and I knew I was back on board.

Hello Day 1. Again.

Days 1 and 2... 

Here it is Day 2 again... but I'm not really all that discouraged about blowing it and having to start over.

First of all, I immediately jumped in again and barely even skipped a day. I did take advantage of a new Day 0 and do some "off-roading",  as people say, but mostly all I could think of "bad" to eat was a lot of blueberries and coconut chips  :D .  

Second, Days 1 and 2 this time around have been a breeze.  I feel fairly energetic, know the ropes, and have very little cravings.  I feel really positive about the next month.

Third, the past two weeks have been the longest number of day in a row I have been without sugar in at least 12 years, so entire Whole30-fail or not, that is a big accomplishment and I am proud of myself.

Plus, I got a lot of fun foods last weekend to play with this week, including kohlrabi, fresh figs, chipotle powder, and hickory smoked salt!!  Anyone have any ideas on what to do with any of them?

I'm learning to cook things up ahead and keep in refrigerator to throw in a pot... this morning my steam-sauted chard and sweet potato saved me, as I forgot I had an early appointment and might have had to skip breakfast otherwise.  

Here comes Day 3 ......    ;)

Days 1 and 2...

Here it is Day 2 again... but I'm not really all that discouraged about blowing it and having to start over.

First of all, I immediately jumped in again and barely even skipped a day. I did take advantage of a new Day 0 and do some "off-roading", as people say, but mostly all I could think of "bad" to eat was a lot of blueberries and coconut chips :D .

Second, Days 1 and 2 this time around have been a breeze. I feel fairly energetic, know the ropes, and have very little cravings. I feel really positive about the next month.

Third, the past two weeks have been the longest number of day in a row I have been without sugar in at least 12 years, so entire Whole30-fail or not, that is a big accomplishment and I am proud of myself.

Plus, I got a lot of fun foods last weekend to play with this week, including kohlrabi, fresh figs, chipotle powder, and hickory smoked salt!! Anyone have any ideas on what to do with any of them?

I'm learning to cook things up ahead and keep in refrigerator to throw in a pot... this morning my steam-sauted chard and sweet potato saved me, as I forgot I had an early appointment and might have had to skip breakfast otherwise.

Here comes Day 3 ...... ;)

I'm excited for you, Casey! Also - I too love to get something new at the store each week for a little food adventuring. Figs - maybe cook with some pork chops? Chipotle powder - rub it on chicken or steak and let it marinate a bit, then grill to enhance the naturally smoky flavor of chipotle. Yum yum! Keep us posted on your adventures!

Great job on your achievements so far!  So many victories already and many more coming up!

Figs are the sweetener for homemade barbecue sauce:  http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/05/01/paleo-whole30-barbecue-sauce/

Chipotle powder can go in avocado cilantro salsa (which is great on chicken, fish, shrimp...):

1 med avocado

1/4 C fresh lime juice

1/4 C fresh cilantro

1/2 jalapeno

2T olive oil

1tsp chipotle powder

1/2ts garlic powder

1/2tsp cumin

You can leave the avocado chunky for salsa or put it in a food processor for dressing.

Hickory salt/seasoning is great for meat in the crockpot.

Thank you for the recipe ideas!  I've found I like figs on just about anything.  Will definitely be making the avocado salsa with chipotle!!!    I haven't done any crockpot meals yet, but I want to and both that and using it to enhance grilled meats sounds great.  I did try it on some pan-fried salmon and a hamburger patty and it was good.  

Whoa! SOMETHING seemed to kick in today. I have been dragging out of bed as late as possible, hardly having time for breakfast. Today I popped awake with the sunrise and shortly after randomly decided it was a good time for a walk. So I went out and even did a little jogging..... What I've been trying to force myself into for months, just suddenly seemed second nature. Afterward, I had time to experiment with whole 30 recipes and new ingredients, sit with a cup of tea and read a book for a while, do some housework, connect with a couple clients and still make it to work earlier than I have all week! This afternoon i was pretty tired but I think this morning made up for it. We'll see what happens the next few days. Hoping it wasn't a fluke.

Archived