Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 7:07 AM, jenmidge said:

Hey, congratulations! Remaining compliant while travelling is especially impressive. I didn't get an answer to my sugar question from the forum but my sugar and refined carb intake increased to daily this week and I am feeling and looking distinctly bloated, so I guess that's my answer as it appears that limiting sugar intake to 1-2 days weekly just isn't possible.

Thanks!

Yea, I've gone a month with no sugar and had gotten to where I hardly thought about it, but as soon as I finished, I suddenly was thinking about it and my one scoop of ice cream, which didn't even taste all that great, set me up for wanting more.  

I've been thinking about how extremely restrictive whole 30 seems to be, and that maybe I don't need that many rules, but that the concept of a little sugar or other toxins setting up vicious cycles does make sense and seems to play out.  I do feel like I've changed my relationship with food, but also already finding how easy it would be for old habits to creep back in.  

Oh yeah and I lost another 7 pounds and my stomach area is definitely flatter... I bought new jeans the other day, 2 sizes down!    I do NOT want to lose those gains. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess you'd say I've been "reintroducing" sugar a bit this week. Not too bad, but what I'm noticing is that it makes me irritable and cranky and unable to handle small annoyances very well... mostly soda pop, other is not as bad.   I did a cleanse and feeling pretty good now. Plan on making a compliant tuna casserole tomorrow but with green peas. If they seem okay I will try some other legumes.  That will be interesting as I haven't had ANY in months.  

Messed up and had a frozen yogurt today. Feel just kinda blah, a little bloated, a little foggy. I need to figure out what my deal with ice cream and the like is.  Everything else I seem able to stay away from.  Maybe it's just that I already reintroduced it so I feel justified in having it.  I still plan on having peas today so I hope I'm even able to tell how they affect me.  

Looking forward to trying this new recipe as I'm getting a little bored with just throwing a few veggies and some kind of meat together at the last minute.   

Have you tried banana ice cream? just frozen banana blended. You need to use a very ripe banana but it has the same consistency as ice cream and makes a very good substitute if you're struggling. You can whiz in cacao powder, frozen berries or cashew butter is good. It's a yummy treat and wont jeopardize your reintro's. 

It really is worth doing your reintro's by the book cos once you know exactly how each non compliant food affects you, you shouldn't ever need to go through the process again.

What new recipe are you going to try? 

I dont like bananas all that much but I have tried that with a small amount of banana and some berries. That's a good idea. Thanks.  

My new recipe was a paleo tuna casserole I found here http://myheartbeets.com/tuna-noodle-casserole/

It uses spaghetti squash instead of noodles but  I substituted slices of butternut squash. It was delicious. (Cooking time was longer since the squash was raw) The homemade cream of mushroom soup it calls for  and provides a link to is fantastic and I'm sure I'll find many other uses for it. I left out the white wine but included the peas, which I havent eaten in a long long time

Hmmmm tried to upload photo but it says the file is too large. Wierd.

My cat Dolly, my sweetest friend for 17 years, died unexpectedly two days ago.  Today I said goodbye to a very significant mentor as I helped her finish packing to move out of town.  Tomorrow, my sister's dog who has been living in my home since June and been such a God-send to the family at large for the last 15 years will be put to sleep.   

Needless to say my eating plan has gone out the window.  

But this too shall pass and I will live to do another whole 30. For now, lots of love and grace to myself and my family and an attempt to remember that vegetables are more likely to get me through the stress and loss better than sugar.20161112_184328.jpg 

Big sigh.    Okay.  Been totally sliding backward and really feeling it in my energy levels and sinus congestion mostly. I probably felt this bad before my whole 30 and didn't realize how bad it was! 

I'm depressed because of many losses and frustrations lately but i also am aware that sugar makes me depressed and less able to cope with stress, which of course is ironic since i eat it in attempt to relieve stress!. Starting tomorrow morning I will go back to no sugar and no dairy.... Rice seems okay. I prepped a decent breakfast for tomorrow out of what is left and still edible from my fridge -- turkey, asparagus, carrots and parsnips -- and will probably have to buy a store salad for lunch.  Maybe I'll pull together my cauliflower topped shepherd's pie for dinner.

I hope everyone else is doing okay. I feel like this is so much harder in the winter.... anyone feel the same?

On 11/17/2016 at 6:12 AM, CaseyP said:

I feel like this is so much harder in the winter.... anyone feel the same?

I am on day 7 of another W30. I relied on salad throughout my first W30 but try to keep to seasonal locally grown veg and variety is very limited over winter with almost no salad veg available. I don't feel like salad anyway when the weather is cold and want comfort food. I dived into W30 last weekend and have surprised myself by completing a full week with no slip ups. My work lunches this week have been leftovers reheated when I'm in the office or tuna, sweet potato and avocado mashed together with mayo. Eaten from a plastic tub with a spoon it's a bit like comfort food. I'm also having a lot of mashed root veg combo's, swede and carrot with ghee is yummy and I could eat it by the bowlful. Made braised spiced red cabbage last weekend in the slow cooker which is delish. So, embrace the winter veg and enjoy while it lasts is my advice.

Tonight's tea was steak, sprouts, carrots and red cabbage with lots of ghee. Loved it. Then opened a bottle of lemon ginger Kombucha which was toe curlingly sour thanks to too much lemon. Wont make that mistake again.:P

This time of year in the office there are always chocolates and candy by the tubful. Managed to resist chocolate and rum fudge today:wub:. Thankfully, they don't stick around long as everyone else eats them.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? We don't celebrate it here but my daughter-in-law is from the USA and I'm staying with her and my son next weekend. Going to be a challenge.

Congratulations on making it a week on a new go-around!:D Getting back on track after a week of insanity has proven harder than I expected but at least I'm doing slightly better.  

I hadn't thought of mashing carrots etc. I'm going to try that! Yes, I think finding some slightly higher carb "comfort" food might help my winter blues and help me stay off the sugar.

Thanksgiving has involved family dinners with aunts and cousins and kids and tons of desserts for most of my life but last year and this year I will just be with my folks at a restaurant.  I hope to stay whole30 until then and then just avoid wheat and dairy as much as possible but not kick myself if a little gets by that day. 

Is your daughter in law planning on having Thanksgiving dinner while you're there? We have done totally paleo Thanksgiving dinners in the past and it is not hard at all. I imagine she would want to go all out traditional Americana, but if you did some online research and offered to bring/make a dish or two that you can eat (example sweet potato stuffing instead of regular stuffing with bread crumbs) you might end up not terribly deprived! You might also ask her to do things like make the gravy with ghee and arrowroot powder instead of butter and wheat flour. Personally, I like it better anyway.

If you DO partake of a trditional American Thanksgiving here are some things to watch out for... 

-Butter on practically everything... maybe bring your own ghee and ask a lot questions. 

-the salad dressing options for green salads

-cranberry compotes and jellies that surely have sugar in them

-green bean casserole with onions and mushrooms is an American favorite but will likely be made with wheat and/or packaged soup mixes

-Delish-looking sweet potatoes that will likely be loaded with butter and brown sugar.... bring your own sweet potato or ask her to save one out for you and pop it in the oven next to the turkey. Top it with ghee or coconut oil.  :P

-Mashed potatoes are traditional fare and fortunately compliant but most people make them with cream and butter so again ask ahead and hope to save some out before the extra ingredients get added.

-think ahead about dessert... maybe fruit with some pecans.... just so you aren't sitting there watching others devour pie while you have nothing.   :ph34r:

If nothing else, you can load up on turkey!!

I hope they will want to help you succeed in this and know you're not trying to be difficult.  If so, I think you will have a wonderful time! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

thanks so much for all the tips. I know that green bean casserole and pumpkin pie will definitely be on the menu. As I'm doing this W30 to improve my health and wellbeing rather than as a reset I'm contemplating partaking of the dishes that my daughter in law will really want to make like her own Mum does, ie: aforementioned casserole and pie but I can take some home made ghee as you suggested and we usually dress our own salad so that wont be a problem. I can offer to make the gravy.  I LOVE pumpkin pie btw.

I had weeks of binging before I felt ready to commit to another W30 so you are doing very well. Now that I am back on track, I'm finding the cooking and and meal planning to be therapeutic; I hope you can a bit as well. 

Well, in my opinion, if there's even just one event to consider taking some license with, it's Thanksgiving Dinner!! Its my favorite holiday.  So hopefully we both can enjoy and not fall too far off the wagon.  Today at my church there was a potluck, Thanksgiving style, and I did have some pumpkin pie but left the crust. Otherwise didn't do toooo bad.  

So glad you're back on track and I know what you mean about meal prep etc being therapeutic! I just thought I would be able to be more temperate after finishing the 30 days and not so either/or (wild junk food frenzy or rigid perfect rules - My reintro didn't really happen.) Guess that's what I'm supposed to be learning about Food Freedom!  

• 1 month later...

@jenmidge @WholeDave Any of my old buddies still out there? 

After a horrible fall of the sugar cliff, I am committing to getting back on doing a whole 30 for January and regaining some sanity... and doing a better job at reintroductions this time so I can hopefully maintain some of that sanity.  

I just came home with a ton of meat eggs and veggies so I should be ready to go, tho I'll give myself til Monday if I have to. My other strategies for now involve posting food pics, posting non-scale victories that i remember from last time to keep me motivated, trying new but simple recipes along with a lot of the tried and true, drinking tons of water, and keeping a gratitude journal  (free app: 'Bliss' is a great motivator) that I will repost here on a occasion.   

I hope everyone else is still hanging in there if not officially doing another round right now.  Happy New year!

Happy New Year:)

I've been away with family over the holiday period and havn't tried to remain W30 compliant but am fine with this as it was a conscious decision. You sound very determined and motivated to get back on track which is great. I also need to to drink much more water and aim to get back into the habit of planning and prepping all my meals in advance. I'm not planning another W30 but I am working on the food freedom forever concept with some regular exercise thrown in.

Ugh! I just wrote a long post and it kicked me off and I lost it!!!

Anyway good for you, @jenmidge, on getting on to the food freedom concept... that is my goal and I thought I could do it after my last whole 30 but I definitely need another reset after this holiday season.  

Here is the "treat" i bought myself yesterday

20161231_095730.jpg

Boy, still struggling to kick sugar but I'm going to do it.  I'm remembering all the great things that happened on my last Whole 30.....

Clothes fit better.  Bloating stopped.  Belly looked better.  Sinuses cleared up 50%.  Less grouchy.  A bunch of skin tags and skin discolorations spontaneously disappeared! Circles under my eyes improved.  Shoulder and neck tension practically vanished.  Hot flashes stopped.  Sleep improved.  I WANTED to exercise!  I required less sleep.  My depression lessened.  Mental clarity improved.  I felt less whiney.   I felt really proud of myself almost every day.     Most of these things have reverted back to where they were or worse since going off Whole 30 so I have at 16 good reasons right here for sticking to it again.  

Today I ate :

M1:  Spinach-egg scramble, steamed ginger carrots with ghee, avocado

M2:  Cabbage salad with ground turkey,  grapefruit sections, yellow squash, olives, walnut oil; and basil cauliflower soup.

M3: Salmon, green beans, yam planned for dinner

BUT I also had a cappuccino and some candy, so better luck tomorrow....    

This week I had some really great victories-  

I stopped drinking Coke and weaned myself  off the holiday sugar

I made 2 batches of bone stock, soup base, ghee, and mayo  

I froze a bunch of meat in portion sizes

I celebrated my birthday without cake and ice cream, or even the scrumptious sounding "low sugar" creamcheese dessert my mom wanted to make me.  (I talked her out of it)

I walked several miles in (In 20 F weather)

I made warming stations for our resident hummingbirds. 

But I was not 100% whole 30 compliant so I will count this week as a warm up and start again soon.  

Congratulations! I am especially impressed with the walking. Regular exercise is one of my new year resolutions but I'm still finding excuses. Also, resident hummingbirds? Looking out of my window, all I can see is one grey pidgeon:P lucky you. You've inspired me to make bone stock; I am full of cold and need soup. I have beef bones in the freezer so I've no excuse not to start off some broth in the slow cooker today.

I read this week that the W30 has been rated 38 out of 38 reviewed diets and it's causing me a crisis of confidence in all the saturated fat.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall

What do you think?

Archived