Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

@Jenmidge I saw this same stuff, but think it's kind of ridiculous. Sure, you *could* make whole30 really unhealthy for you, but if you follow the meal templates, whole30 is super vegetable heavy! And I'd much rather have fat that occurs naturally then some uber processed, chemical laden stuff. Weight watchers is listed higher, but they have a full line of frozen crap that counts as "healthy" for them! 

Plus I don't feel like I have to do beef all the time. I do a lot of chicken and fish because I prefer that, and the combo of all the roughage (lol) plus fats from good oil or avocado, fill me up way better than any weight watchers frozen meal. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks, I feel reassured. You are so right about weight watchers and it's higher rating and that of others like Jenny Craig throws doubt on the validity of the whole report. I watched a documentary this evening on 'fat vs carbs' where a journalist ate low carb and high fat for 3 weeks. His diet was more Atkins than W30 but he still managed to lower his blood cholesterol and loose weight which was also a bit reassuring. I think I still need to cut down on my red meat intake though, eat more fish and swap fried eggs for poached.

Going forward, I'm thinking of adding quinoa regularly to my diet and maybe whole grain rice occasionally. I'm feeling the need for a bit more variety and during my first W30 reintro's, I was fine with rice and quinoa.

How are you doing with your water intake? Mine is still way too low.

I'm with ya - I do fine with grains, but the husband does not. So, I try to be sympathetic, lol, and I'm learning how to be "full" without rice or potatos. It's totally a different feeling. I'm going to try the cauliflower rice this week...we will see. 

Im good on water! I have a water bottle with me always, and I make myself finish a bottle before I go get anything to eat. I also have a big picture at home that I keep lemon and cucumber in..it's so good!

Cauli rice was a revelation when I tried it for the first time, so delicious. Had it today for lunch with pina colada chicken from Well Fed 2. My favorite recipe. Cauli mash is also great, I prefer it to mashed potatoes now.

My water intake is still rubbish! I can't bring myself to drink it in cold weather but my skin is very dry and I have permanently chapped lips. I'll try adding some flavorings to my bottle.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I flaked out on my own thread! January was just hard. I am planning on starting again today. Even if not 100% whole 30, at least losing the sugar gluten and dairy.  I think I'm finally fed up enough with how I  feel to do it. 

Today breakfast-  beet greens and carrots sautéed in steak drippings with a couple fried eggs and gelatin powder. Black tea. 

Plan for lunch-  salad with ginger beef straps, cakes, beets, avocado. Kombucha.

Did my stretches this morning. 

Hey welcome back,

I am still getting forum posts via email but to be honest, I have been far, far removed from compliant eating for at least the last few weeks eg: today I ate 2 small bags of mini chocolate eggs. So sickly sweet, didn't even taste of chocolate, just sugar.

I am curious about the addition of gelatin powder to your breakfast, what does this do?

I might join you on another W30 but I need to use up some non compliant sausages first. And, as I've been using skimmed milk again, I've been drinking about 6 mugs of coffee a day so need to cut this out as well; cue horrendous withdrawal headache.

Keep on posting,

Hi Jen, I'm so happy you got notice on my post and checked in! It's helpful to see familiar people on here.

I'm totally with you on the sugar.  The other day I ate an entire (small) box of Valentine chocolates in less than an hour, then proceeded to down a candy bar later.    HOWEVER today was not too bad and I'm actually surprised I made it through.  

I'm learning to handle tea without sweetener and thankfully don't drink much coffee but cola is my downfall and it does have caffeine. Last ti,e i had horrible withdrawls so this time, I bought some caffeine pills ... 200 MG caffiene; it says it's about as much as is in a mug of coffee, or probably a large cola, so I figure I take a pill instead of a Coke and gradually wean myself off.   

As for the gelatin, it is supposed to be really good for healing leaky gut. Bone stock is better because it has lots of minerals etc, but gelatin helps produce collagen (or maybe it's the other way around, I can't remember) so it's good for skin, hair, and nails, and apparently the gut. Plus one tablespoon has 12 grams of pure protein ... about the same as 2 eggs. I have a large container of an all natural brand  got at a health food store but I guess the little unflavored packages at a regular supermarket are fine too.  

I've always believed that chocolate is less harmful when finished off quickly :P

I didn't know that about gelatin, it sounds like I should be adding some to my regular diet. Cheaper and probably more beneficial than taking supplements. 

I've over eaten today and am feeling bloated and uncomfortable. I think I'm ready for another reset. Possibly may start on the weekend though probably will only do 9 days as I've social events coming up, at least one of which will revolve around alcohol. It occurred to me today that the birds in my garden eat more healthily than I do. They have a lot more energy as well.

Looking forward to feeling better than I do right now.

10 hours ago, jenmidge said:

I've always believed that chocolate is less harmful when finished off quickly :P

For sure! LOL!

I can't really believe how well today went except that I ended up with a headache late afternoon and still haven't shaken it.  Maybe it's the caffiene.

Sweet Potato sliders with avo-mayo dressing and some cooked greens for breakfast. 

Purple cabbage and carrots, boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, peaches, a little kombucha and fizzy water for lunch.

Baked chicken and cabbage again with coconut oil. 

Right now the key is simplicity over gourmet flavor. 

Here's to "going to the birds!"

Your meals today sound pretty good to me.

I had -

M1: 2 sausages (contain gluten but need to use them up) and boiled green beans. Black coffee.

M2: (sigh!) 3 slices of cake + full fat latte 

M3: chicken curry and rice + Kombucha

ON a positive note: no chocolate and only 3 mugs of coffee today and one was black which was tolerable.

It's looking like I might need to take a combined work/family trip up to Scotland on friday for about 4 days and if so, I will delay any W9 start at least until I return. As you can probably tell, although I want to reset, I don't want to miss out on any fun either.

I put out spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter for the birds yesterday to use it up, as I really don't like the taste. It was still there this afternoon so it seems the birds don't like it either. We have something in common after all. :)

Ah you're cracking me up!! I Looovvve sunflower seed butter, which reminds me I should get some:) I'm surprised the birds don't like it.  

Hey count every step forward ... cutting down on coffee and getting in the vegetables is a good start.  Congratulations!

Today for me

M1 hamburger in cauliflower rice with Tahini, 1/2 grapefruit. It wasn't really enough but I made it through to lunch

M2 Veggie salad with hard boiled eggs and avocado with olive oil and vinegar. An apple.

Not sure Meal 3 yet. 

Hopefully I will get some exercise in tomorrow.  

I was in the grocery store earlier and picked up a small fruit cake which is made by a local artisan producer and looked Yummy. I put it back because I didn't want to have to confess to eating cake again on this forum. Just shows how effective this is so thank you.

today's meals:

M1 - 2 sausages with Kale and sweet potato + coffee

M2 - chicken curry and rice + kombucha

M3 - crunchy veg salad with a tblspn of peanut sauce. 

so no meals were fully compliant but better than yesterday and only two cups of coffee today!

I havn't had grapefruit in ages, must add to next shopping list. I bought gelatin sheets today, ingredients only list Pork gelatin so seems okay. Not sure how I'm going to use it yet but am thinking of some sort of terrine.

tmp_14384-images-1421751825.png

YAY!!!! Good job!

Yes this forum does help. And nice job on the meals... better to eat mostly compliant than giving up because can't be 100%.

My confession here is that my dad make me chicken soup tonight which was great except it had green peas in it, which I'm guessing counts as an off-plan legume. But I ate it and I'm not going to start over. I also realized that the "green drink" veggie powder is use as a vitamin supplement has stevia in it, but I'm going to go ahead and take it.

The gelatin sheets sound interesting... mine comes in a powder. So I sprinkle it into soups and stir fries or dissolve it in broth and just drink it. I look forward to seeing what you make!

Recipe looks a keeper, The yummy looking blob of creamy stuff on top looks suspiciously like soured cream but I guess coconut cream will be an ok replacement if needed.

Today's meals so far are

M1: lamb burgers, eggs, kale and sweet potato (compliant !!!) + coffee

M2: curry and rice + kombucha

M3: will be onion soup.

I have to confess that I've bought a small loaf of wholemeal (wheat) bread and some cheese in a moment of weakness. I've not bought a loaf of bread in almost a year even though I've been buying sandwiches at work sometimes and eating cake.  I've not opened bread or cheese yet and feel guilty every time I look at them. Silly, because I didn't feel guilty eating store bought sandwiches. I might yet put them both in the freezer. I'm not going away this weekend after all but probably Monday for about 4 days.

I really need to start exercising and might post my efforts on here to motivate me.

I noticed the same about the sour cream:blink:

Yesterday I was dealing with some emotional memories and found myself scouring the kitchen in  an emotional eating binge. I ended up downing two whole bananas at once, some dates, and a lot of nuts and nut butter. At least that's not too bad compared to if i hadn't been on whole 30 but my sinuses were horrible in the night and this morning my gut is sensitive.... things that had been getting better.   I'm guessing it's the almond butter. Maybe I'll have to go off it for a while.  

Good job putting the bread and cheese in the freezer! I've tried to stop any "guilt" feelings per se about what I eat, tho I know what you mean about the irrational way we look at things. Of course if you're going to eat sandwiches, it's probably cheaper and healthier to make them yourself.  I'm just learning that things like bread and dairy products make me feel awful and I know what they are doing to my insides. I try to let that be my motivation for staying away rather any supposed rules about "right" and "wrong" ways to eat.  I know I need to evaluate my overall relationship to food as well ... as demonstrated by my banana and almond butter "binge".;):ph34r::(

Ahhhhhhh! I'm checking in from my phone in the grocery store because I accidentally got here hungry and I'm fighting putting everything I see in the cart. .

Thankfully the deli has free soda water which will help. And I've found some tuna in an easy open pouch and some Laura bars and avocado that I'll eat with my fingers if I have to when I get to the car.:o

lol! I feel your pain. I usually go for a banana and/or slices of compliant meat which are easy to eat in the car without much mess. 

I ended up opening my bread and cheese and also had a lot of dried fruit and am suffering the consequences. Arthritic type pain in my wrist and stomach issues. Also feeling Very bloated. 

I had a wonderful fritata this morning that I took a photo of but I'm just having a hard time loading photos on here. :( The max size requirement is tiny and I can't make it work.

Lunch was a salad with seasoned hamburger crumbles, cucumber and strawberries with avocado dressing. I had a meeting after work so ended up eating quick and late: egg with mayo, broth with gelatin and Lara bar.... probably not the best choice.  

I've been having tiny little glitches and I'm not sure if I should start over.. like I realized the meatloaf I thought was going to be compliant at my parents' had oatmeal in it.. it was probably about a teaspoon of oatmeal in the small amount I ate.  I was rigid the first time around - freaking out over every little ingredient - but am tending to not be so much now because I want to create a liveable lifestyle change that will last. On the other hand i DO want that gut reset.  I'm planning going much longer than 30 days, and even eventually  cutting out other things that I think might be giving me problems.   So, I'll see how this week goes and probably go 30 days from today.   

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:58 PM, ShannonM816 said:

The best way to do photos is through an online hosting service like photobucket or Flickr. You would use the image url to link to it and it should show the picture in your post.

Thanks!

I had a couple massive meltdowns yesterday over things needing to get done in my life. It didn't occur to me til just now that it could be from whole 30 detox/withdrawls etc. I did suffer drastic depression the first two weeks of last whole 30 and have not been diligent with my amino supplements this time. 

Yesterday I finished off the fritata, had a late lunch of just an apple and toooo many cashews (running late for appt so never go to the tuna), dinner hamburger and asparagus with ghee.  Gotta focus on better timing and better balance - and maybe more food - for meals.

I'm sorry to hear about the depression, I'm affected most winters and it's tough!.

Are you getting enough carbs?

The article linked below doesn't provide any new info but a reminder of our need for them.

ww.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/how-to-beat-depression-with-the-right-diet-1817675.html

As I sit here at 9.35am still in my pj's this is a bit hypocritical of me but see if you can find 30 mins in your day to get out in the sunshine, if there is any, or just go for a quick walk anyway.

Archived