Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

I've felt comfortable this week with eating W30 only 70% of the time because I still felt in control and liked not feeling guilty. I thought I had found a way of eating which I could sustain indefinitely and therefore didn't need another reset. However, my food choices today have deteriorated to KFC for lunch and two packets of crisps for tea. They tasted pretty awful but I finished them anyway - not so in control:(.

I did proper reintro's after my first W30 which was March this year. I have a reasonable understanding of how off plan foods affect me although unfortunately that doesn't stop me choosing to eat them sometimes. Cheese by the way, affects my mood. It can cause me black moods when I want to kill everyone. I reintroduced ewes milk cheese separately from cows milk and still got the same reaction. Other dairy just causes unpleasant sinus issues. What surprised me the most was the bloating I got from non gluten grains including tortilla chips and chick peas. Really didn't expect that cos I used to eat a lot of chick peas. I'm okay with rice.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I know sugar affects my  moods and i think wheat does too.  (I have heard wheat in europe does not afffect people like US wheat).  Sugar also makes my shoulders ache and lots of things cause sinus troubles... in fact I still haven't gotten over the sinus issues at all so there is something I'm still eating that I must be allergic to.  Or else I just meet more gut cleansing.

I was texting today with my friend I'm going packing with about food. We usually share most meals and I got to feeling bad about making it hard on her and started backing up on some of my commitment.  But now I really think I want to try to stay close to whole 30  as possible. It's kind of become a challenge to find healthy choices for this, though I am giving into rice and a few processed items and plan to do some celebrating after the fact:).

Sadly after  texting with her i fell into that "oh well, I'm going to off so it doesn't matter" mentality, and ate a candy bar.... and no, I didn't think it tasted  all that good at all and am already feeling the yuck.   I guess we learn in steps.

Good luck getting back to 70% at least!

If you've got a food processor this recipe is delicious and could make high energy W30 snacks for hiking, or W30 candy bars :P

Carob Fudge Brownie

300g pitted dates

200g soaked raisins

4tbsp carob powder (I'm sure you could also use raw cocao powder)

500g brazil nuts soaked overnight in cold water

100g flax seeds

100g sunflower seeds

125g chopped walnuts

125g whole walnuts

sprinkle of sesame seeds

1. Place dates, raisins, carob/cocao powder, brazil nuts and 500ml water in food processor and blend until you have smooth paste.

2. Mix though the seeds and walnuts

3. Spread mixture evenly on to a 10cm x 20cm baking tray lined with cling film. Sprinkle with sesame seeds then freeze for 1 hour.

4. Cut into 12 pieces.

Recipe says to keep in fridge but unless it gets really warm, I can't see why it shouldn't be okay out. Not sure that you use metric in the USA so sorry if you need to convert. I halved the quantities and it made loads and the tray I used was about 1cm deep.

7 minutes ago, jenmidge said:

If you've got a food processor this recipe is delicious and could make high energy W30 snacks for hiking, or W30 candy bars :P

Carob Fudge Brownie

300g pitted dates

200g soaked raisins

100g flax seeds

100g sunflower seeds

125g chopped walnuts

125g whole walnuts

sprinkle of sesame seeds

1. Place dates, raisins, carob/cocao powder, brazil nuts and 500ml water in food processor and blend until you have smooth paste.

3. Spread mixture evenly on to a 10cm x 20cm baking tray lined with cling film. Sprinkle with sesame seeds then freeze for 1 hour.

4. Cut into 12 pieces.

Recipe says to keep in fridge but unless it gets really warm, I can't see why it shouldn't be okay out. Not sure that you use metric in the USA so sorry if you need to convert. I halved the quantities and it made loads and the tray I used was about 1cm deep.

For those reading in here, as the topic is Whole30 logs, just a reminder that recreating "brownies" or candy bars is against the Whole30 rules and regulations. I just wouldn't want those on a Whole30 to get confused. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! I got really busy dehydrating food for my trip and then was gone for a week. I had a fun time figuring out how to stay close to whole 30 backpacking, and except for rice for dinner twice and a couple energy bars, I did it.  

Alrighty!   

Here's a quick collage of some of my dishes and where I ate them!  My favorite was a florentine 'omlette' that really turned into a scramble but was tastier than we expected with dehydrated eggs, spinach and mushrooms (no cheese of course).   Then there was a turkey and veggie dinner, and an attempt at veggie- infused potatoes pancakes made with organic potatoes flakes.  It also turned into a scramble!  I also made sweet potato chips for a carb at lunch so wouldn't have to take crackers.  Not pictured was an envelope of tuna with a packet of herbs and oil.      https://goo.gl/photos/CeVJsxxLf1jQJcei6

Anyone interested in photos of the whole trip can check it out here!  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208863798489622&type=1&l=50faee30fa

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 6:40 AM, jenmidge said:

Carob Fudge Brownie

300g pitted dates

200g soaked raisins

100g flax seeds

100g sunflower seeds

125g chopped walnuts

125g whole walnuts

sprinkle of sesame seeds

4. Cut into 12 pieces.

Thanks for the recipe! I didn't see it time to try it out but I will for the next time... I really wanted to make my own energy bars. Just have a scale that weighs grams as well as ounces so conversion shouldn't be too big a problem ;)

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 6:50 AM, ArtFossil said:

For those reading in here, as the topic is Whole30 logs, just a reminder that recreating "brownies" or candy bars is against the Whole30 rules and regulations. I just wouldn't want those on a Whole30 to get confused. 

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. On a backpacking trip I would use them as a consolidated part of a high energy lunch plan, not as a candy bar and I wouldn't be trying to be 100% on a whole30 anyway during a pack trip anyway. Good to let other readers know that.

Liked your pic's, beautiful scenery. I'm impressed with how much effort you made to take compliant food. I'm still aiming for W30 compliant most of the time and am generally achieving this. I usually start getting the winter blues this time of year and it occurred to me yesterday that I havn't been affected yet. It has been debilitating some years, like falling off a cliff -  one day I'm fine and getting on with life and the next, I don't want to get out of bed... ever. Not sure if it is the unseasonably warm weather we've had here or the clean eating but time will tell. 

I know what you mean about winter. Just one day of clouds can send me into a tailspin, but come to think of it, all of last weekend was rainy and I was tired but otherwise not too bad.  

Sadly, I put so much work into my trip and then haven't been compliant a whole day ever since. I thought I was going to be today but left homewithout my lunch.   I'll start again tomorrow.    

Haven't done so great on lunches this week.  Will be taking a salmon salad/slaw with me today. Just finished cauliflower and yam soup with turkey and spinach for b-fast. I'm getting sort of tired of the same veggie choices.  Did get some autumn squash I'm hoping to bake soon, and have been enjoying the season's apples and apple sauce. They don't cause problems when make them part of a meal. 

On 9/20/2016 at 3:55 AM, CaseyP said:

I know what you mean about winter. Just one day of clouds can send me into a tailspin, but come to think of it, all of last weekend was rainy and I was tired but otherwise not too bad.  

Sadly, I put so much work into my trip and then haven't been compliant a whole day ever since. I thought I was going to be today but left homewithout my lunch.   I'll start again tomorrow.    

Yep, not taking lunch to work has been my downfall on more than a few days. I've been enjoying squash this week, baked in goose fat. It made a welcome change from sweet potato. I can certainly relate to food boredom. I've pretty much had enough of cauli mash which I absolutely loved at first. Today I took a salad to work made of a chopped up orange, cucumber and avocado, just for a change from salad leaves. Think I'll start adding more fruit to salads.

19 hours ago, jenmidge said:

Yep, not taking lunch to work has been my downfall on more than a few days. I've been enjoying squash this week, baked in goose fat. It made a welcome change from sweet potato. I can certainly relate to food boredom. I've pretty much had enough of cauli mash which I absolutely loved at first. Today I took a salad to work made of a chopped up orange, cucumber and avocado, just for a change from salad leaves. Think I'll start adding more fruit to salads.

The salad sounds good. I'll have to try it. I recently saw a salad recipe with orange slices and fennel. Think I might the cucumber better... or I'll try them both.

I did take my lunch yesterday... leftover salmon, cabbage salad, acocado slices, sweet potato, homemade kombucha.  Plus my dad made delicious steaks for dinner.  I think i goofed and put butter instead of ghee on my vegggies.... otherwise all compliant.

I had a blast this weekend at a wedding/family reunion but any concept of moderation went out the window! My intestines, my sleep, my sinuses, my muscle aches are all telling me about it now!  I've been getting farther and farther of track anyway and need to go back to "no slips" "no excuses". I'd been planning on starting another whole 30 the first of October but thinking I might as well start now.  I'm  not sure I'm 100% mentally prepared, so I won't hate myself if this week ends up just being a practice run, but I'm gonna try to just go for it. I again have a lot of travel planned in Oct but hopefully I have already learned some helpful ways of dealing with that. Honestly, I'm going to use some backpack food-ing techniques! I've also got some non food "treats" in my head to help steer me away the sugary foods that have crept back in.

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM, jenmidge said:

sorry, I can't advise on the uploading, not something I've tried much.

Orange and fennel is good together, I recommend the El Minzah orange salad from Well fed.

:) I'm going to request the Well Fed book for Christmas.

Man, I indulged one last 'binge' last night, knowing I'd be jumping back on the wagon today, finishing off a leftover scone, quite a lot of cream cheese, peanut butter, and the last of my mini candy bars.   How dumb! My sinuses are yelling at me this morning. 

But I've only gained less than 2.5 lbs since finishing my last whole (almost) 30 and since that includes this past weekend, I think I am not too bad off.

I remembered I had some things in my little patio garden that have been waiting to be harvested so I had small red potatoes, red onions, kale, and basil, all fresh picked, for breakfast. Added 3 fresh farm eggs from a friend. Coconut oil for fat. 

I will bottle my kombucha today and start a f2 ferment, pick the rest of the kale, and dehydrate some more basil and lemon balm. ....... if I have time.

Oh yeah, and just found the Well Fed El Minzah salad online. I want to try that this week too. Looks amazing!

I am going to start another W30 on 1st October. I need this week to get my head ready for it. I have a new boss at work who is an absolute cow and I resorted to comfort eating today after a run in with her.  I need a mental reset a much as anything. I only had a sandwich, flapjack and latte today but felt so bloated I might as well have eaten a whole loaf of bread.

Still, tomorrow is another day. 

Well this week went sideways so I'll be starting once again as well.  I ended up with the stomach flu so I'm good and "cleaned out" but the thought of cooking or even eating what i normally eat on whole 30 still feels too much to handle.  

Sounds like your new work situation is going to challenge your ways of coping once you commit to a whole 30!  I sooo understand comfort eating! We can vent here on the forum instead of sabotaging our health.

:o:wacko::rolleyes:

Commiserations on the stomach flu, sounds nasty. :wacko:  Tomorrow is DAY ONE and I am ready. After a week on junk food I am bloated and lethargic and not sleeping. I've been relying on caffeine this week to keep me going so I'm giving that up again as well.  I've become very absent minded this week which could be poor diet,tiredness, work stress, or all three. I put chicken, veg and herbs in the slow cooker last night and forgot to switch it on:P Woke up this morning to raw meat and veg.  My kombucha is still not ready for bottling. Once it is ready, how quickly will it turn too vinegary to use? I wont be home to test it for two days. Right now, it is still tastes slightly like sweet tea and is not fizzy.

Archived