Casey's really doing it

CaseyP

Good job :) I'm afraid I've not been so disciplined. One of my colleagues left on Friday to go to another job and she brought in cakes and sweets. It would have seemed a bit mean to turn them down after she had been so generous so I indulged my sugar dragon. After work I really felt like a glass of white wine as it was Friday, work had been stressful and the sun was shining. I ended up with wine, cheese and pizza. The wine gave me an instant headache but I had another glass last night with no repercussions. Have to say, I also had cold leftover pizza for breakfast yesterday morning which I enjoyed - a throwback to my student days.

Today is still prep day for next day and I'm making compliant bolognese sauce to have with zucchini noodles. 

I laughed when I read your description of plantain. 

me: "mouthfuls of banana flavoured pancake"

you: "sort of potato- ish" :P

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chopped up the rest of my potato-ish plantain:lol: into some soup and really liked it.  The chunks mostly sunk to the bottom so it seemed I was scraping a mild dessert from the bottom of the bowl.... tho they still aren't as sweet as bananas but I can't wait for my second one to get more ripe.  Then I think I'll experience the mouthfuls of banana flavoured pancakes you describe :D

This morning I made sort of a  lumpy pumpkin custard for breakfast... not sweet of course and heavy on the eggs. It was interesting for something different.  

"lumpy pumpkin custard" ...have you ever thought of writing an Alternative recipe book? :rolleyes:

As I was sitting in my car today I happened to glance down and my stomach looked like I had swallowed a large balloon. :( Felt like Groundhog Day. Why is it that some people can eat gluten all day long and still have flat stomachs? If I work very hard at strengthening my ab's will I be able to eat what I want do you think, or will I always bloat up?

I had chicken curry for tea tonight (home made and compliant) and I've given myself slight food poisoning. It was okay for lunch yesterday but I started to fill a bit sick and dizzy almost immediately after eating this evening, before rushing to the bathroom. I'm hoping I'm over the worst of it because the stomach cramps were crippling.

Ugh! So sorry about your food poisoning!  I usually think food poisoning takes a few hours to feel the symptoms.... What did you have for lunch?   I hope youre doing alright by now. As for your Groundhogs day... I know the feeling! I was wondering just yesterday why some people can seem to eat almost anything while so many are bothered by almost everything.

I don't think ab exercises will stop the bloating unfortunately.  I am hoping however that sticking with only the tolerated foods for a significantly longer time (provided I can even get through the first 30 days again!) will let the intestines  heal and eventually we might be able to tolerate gluten  or dairy once in a while. For me, once I had completed one whole 30, my tolerance for those things was much worse than it was to begin with. Did you find that?

I did make it through yesterday Whole 30 compliant! except for a little honey. Aiming for that again today. 

I am less tolerant to certain food now than before my first W30. I seem to recall reading that our gut is normally lined with mucus to protect it from foods that would otherwise irritate but during the W30 this lining goes because it's not needed anymore. ?? or something like that. During reintro's after my first W30 I found that chick peas made me feel almost instantly bloated and very uncomfortable. I used to eat them frequently before in different forms and never noticed this. I avoid them completely now. 

I've been able to eat normally today but I currently have bad indigestion which I don't normally experience. All I had for lunch today was chopped boiled eggs mixed with avocado, sweet potato and a little mayo. Don't know why I'm suffering now.

Yesterday's lunch was a bowl of thick bolognese sauce without the noodles. ( Sounds odd I know but it was really just like a tomatoey ground beef stew) I ate at about 12 then didn't have tea until at least 7pm so don't think it made me sick. I still have a large tub of it in the fridge.

What are you having the honey in? Is it something you could just avoid until your tastebuds change?

Fell off a mini cliff yesterday, or rather, fell onto a packet of chocolate mini eggs. During work I had a chocolate bar, 1 x chocolate biscuit, a handful of mini chocolate eggs and a Diet Coke. What was positive though was when I shopped on the way home for breakfast food for this weekend, I managed to escape with only pork mince, mushrooms and kale and left behind the cakes, pies, pastries and pizza that I also looked at. Felt like a super hero:P

How is your resolve going? 

Truthfully I've also fallen into a bag of  mini eggs this week - more than once - as in the chocolate covered malt ones.  It's crazy.  And a friend invited me to dinner at the last minute last night and I forgot to say anything about what I could eat so I got there and, besides a tiny salad, she served nothing that didn't have cream or wheat in it.  I just ate it and didn't say anything. Today I am suffering. 
I am going to pull it together and get serious by Monday.

Good job putting on your cape and 'flying' back up the cliff!

I LOVE Maltesers and the mini eggs but yes, sadly they are especially addictive!  Tonight for tea I had white fish coated in egg and ground almonds seasoned with curry powder and fried in coconut oil, a mound of coleslaw and half an avocado. Yum! I'm thinking of making the compliant chocolate brownie recipe that I posted on this thread ages ago. It makes a lot and should freeze okay so I will have a ready supply of a healthier alternative to all the chocolate I ate at work on Thursday. 

Yep. 

Carob Fudge Brownie

300g pitted dates

200g soaked raisins

4tbsp carob powder (I'll substitute with raw cocao powder)

500g brazil nuts soaked overnight in cold water

100g flax seeds

100g sunflower seeds

125g chopped walnuts

125g whole walnuts

sprinkle of sesame seeds

Directions

In a food processor, process the dates, raisins, carob, brazil nuts and 500ml water until you have a smooth paste.

Mix through seeds and walnuts.

Spread mixture evenly onto a 10 x 20cm baking tray lined with cling film.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds and then freeze for 1 hour.

Cut into 12 pieces and serve.

I've had a hunt through my cupboards this morning for ingredients which need using up and found three tubs of raw cacao powder !!. Also discovered raisins, walnuts and milled flax and sunflower seeds which are passed their use by dates. I hate throwing food away so am going to chance it and use them up.   Also found lurking were two unopened bags of coconut flour and two bags of tapioca flour from my pre W30 paleo days. So wasteful but a good excuse to do some baking. 

The brownies are clearly not in the spirit of W30 but I'm not on this now and am seeking to move forwards with a plan that is sustainable for me. Think I'll rename them though, Emergency Rescue Bars? 

7 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Moving this thread to the post-Whole30 area because, well, brownies.... Definitely keep posting, we just try to keep the non-Whole30 stuff in the other area to avoid confusing newbies.

I'm so sorry Casey:(

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 7:21 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Moving this thread to the post-Whole30 area because, well, brownies.... Definitely keep posting, we just try to keep the non-Whole30 stuff in the other area to avoid confusing newbies.

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 3:01 AM, jenmidge said:

I'm so sorry Casey:(

Too bad, since I just got on here to say I've finally found my mojo to start again today after weaning off sugar last couple days and that I'm thinking I'm going to have to get on here and post several times a day to keep accountable and moving forward on this whole 30, which I've had to start over so many times.    Soooo.... kinda ruins the fun of that, but not your fault Jen, maybe we were skirting around the edges too much, and I was taking too long to pull it back together.  Funny all our talk of chocolate easter eggs didn't draw attention or confuse anyone :blink:  This section of the forum starts with a disclaimer that it is people's private journeys and not moderated so "newbies beware" - so it sure is confusing and disheartening 

Anyway - Yesterday 

M1 - turkey scramble with rainbow chard and sesame oil

M2 - cold fritata with red peppers, spinach and black olives

M3 - chicken breast, salad, steamed broccoli and carrots

Ended up with a Coke so can't count it as day 1

Today so far - soup for breakfast, stir fry with steak strips planned for lunch 

The afternoon has been tough.... feeling very hungry but not sure I really am hungry, or just craving usual snacks.   Have been sipping water and weak tea. Just had a mandarin orange and some nuts and am dragging myself to the gym to work out a bit.... hopefully it will perk me up. 

Well i only had time for 20 minutes on a treadmill.  It did recycle my motivation a bit but am still having the munchies..... had a small amount of fritatta and 3 strawberries for a post work out snack and Chuck steak, horribly bland squash and salad for dinner :mellow:. Later had sliced carrots and  beets and a couple dates.  I know, too much snacking but I'll get it. 

Day one done

I'm so looking forward  to the puffiness going out of my face.

I'm trying to focus on getting good stuff into me instead of on what I can't have ..... GREEN drinks, vitamin C, amino acids, antibiotics, exercise.  Hoping it will distract me.  And I'm remembering how nice it was for my pants to fit better.... I can't believe how much weight I've gained since I finished the last one. 

Butternut soup, eggs, and avocado for breakfast.  I'm feeling satisfied right now. Hope it lasts a while.

Your meals sound delicious and I'm envious of your gym work. I did really well over the 4 day Easter weekend, 100% compliant. Once back at work though and I gave into the temptation of the chocolate etc that is always around. Consequently, I've had an upset stomach again today.

I made the B recipe on Tuesday night thinking it would satisfy any cravings but although it doesn't contain refined sugar it still just leads to more chocolate cravings so I don't recommend it. 

Today did NOT go well at all. So I will be trying again tomorrow... I have all three meals made up ahead so it should be good.  

Good luck on figuring out a way to avoid the chocolate at work!

Prep is definitely key to success in my view. As soon as I need to buy my work lunch or run out of prepped food, then I'm in trouble.

I've discovered that I can no longer tolerate Diet Coke. It either gives me an upset stomach or like today, a sudden sharp headache. If only kombucha was as cheap and easily available.

I have had to take a step back and reevaluate what is not working for me.  I spent the day at the library looking at recipe books, thyroid books, and books on emotional eating.  Obviously pure self-discipline is not working.  I'm realizing some of the things that make me eat junk food are not just simple cravings but triggers that include loneliness, anxiety, and self-protection.  Moving forward, I'm going to try to stay on Whole 30 but back away from my intense "shoulds" about food and focus on other forms of self care and getting habits ingrained that are at least non-food choices for comfort .  If I don't,  I don't think I'll ever get to true food freedom.

How did your weekend go? My meals were all great but I kept  going to one form of sugar or another at least once a day.  

12 minutes ago, CaseyP said:

I have had to take a step back and reevaluate what is not working for me.  I spent the day at the library looking at recipe books, thyroid books, and books on emotional eating.  Obviously pure self-discipline is not working.  I'm realizing some of the things that make me eat junk food are not just simple cravings but triggers that include loneliness, anxiety, and self-protection.  Moving forward, I'm going to try to stay on Whole 30 but back away from my intense "shoulds" about food and focus on other forms of self care and getting habits ingrained that are at least non-food choices for comfort .  If I don't,  I don't think I'll ever get to true food freedom.

How did your weekend go? My meals were all great but I kept  going to one form of sugar or another at least once a day.  

I can recommend the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole. It's not as good as one-on-one but it's the next best thing and very helpful for ending the diet mentality and feelings of guilt about food. Also helpful with eating mindfully. I really believe in a two-pronged approach of good nutrition for your body (which is where Whole30 is so helpful, in identifying negative effects from certain foods) and in a cognitive approach to emotional or stress eating. You certainly have my support as you figure out your needs and what works for you. 

Beef stew, cauliflower salad, and tangy guacamole for breakfast. I'm trying to practice "mindful eating" - tasting, savoring, feeling - thinking about the food and its nutrition instead of the dozen other thoughts that want to race through my mind.  My general impatience with life runs counter to this but I can see the benefit of it if I'm to change my relationship with food.

I plan to spend the afternoon with a colleague who is very food conscious so that will be helpful, though in the past I've just eaten junk food as soon as she's out of sight (:( True confessions in gory detail here).  Will take a compliant snack and hit the gym on my way home from work. 

Archived