Day 5 and already on the verge of going crazy...!?

Hi all,

So today is day 5 of my whole30. So far, I've been positively radiating from the past couple of days... until I looked up a few things:

1. I ate brunch at a local restaurant on day one. I had asked for no dairy anywhere in my dish, but there was pesto sauce that contained parmesan in it that I consumed. I didn't know I consumed diary at the time, but I realized today when I went to the same restaurant, ordered the same item with the same request, and the waitress delivered it without pesto, telling me verbally that there was dairy in it, so she made the dish without. Ugh!

2. I got lunch on day 3 at a local salad place. I ordered a ton of vegetables with grilled chicken and brought compliant dressing from home. Thought nothing of it-- until I went to the restaurant website and saw that the chicken MAY have contained gluten. So, another (possible) mistake to my tab.

I often eat out, so this is probably why I keep getting into these frustrating situations.

But my problem is now that I'm losing motivation to continue. I live in a dormitory-style building, so I am not able to cook often. So, I rely on convenience to do my whole30 (I know, I'm just asking for tough love right now!)  :unsure: I felt great, skin clearing up, better energy, etc etc. until I found out the ugly truth about what I'd eaten. I just don't see how I can avoid all of these ingredients when they're literally everywhere! Does anyone have tips/their experience to share?

I didn't eat out at all during either of my Whole30s, for the reasons you describe. Instead of beating yourself up over ingredients you are having a hard time controlling due to your current circumstances, why not applaud yourself for all the good choices you were able to make, and enjoy feeling great, more energy, skin clearing up etc etc.? Maybe right now a strict whole30 is a pretty difficult undertaking, but you can still make the best possible decisions in every circumstance. Celebrate what you've been able to do!

I ate out more than I probably should have during my Whole30, but it is very difficult. The thing I enjoyed the most was getting a bowl at Chipotle - they are very transparent with their ingredients, and while there's some canola oil involved, it's minimal and technically allowed. If you have a Chipotle near you, get a bowl with carnitas, pico de gallo, red or green salsa, guacamole, and lettuce. Everything else has something non-compliant, like rice bran oil.

While your situation is definitely challenging, I'm sure there are things you can do to make it a little easier. Find a group of people in your dormitory who are like-minded on health and fitness and cook together, or assign one person (different person each night) to cook dinner for everyone. Look up the corporate contact information for the healthier restaurants around you and ask for ingredients lists or at least allergen information (in the US, they *have* to provide allergen information for dairy, soy, gluten, etc upon request if it's not posted already).

For every roadblock, there is an alternate route. It can be hard to see it that way when you're frustrated, but you have to make a commitment to yourself.

Maybe what you can do as follows: continue doing what you are doing, and do some research into local places to find out what is W30 compliant. Then in a week or so start a really strict W30. W30 isnt' the type of thing you can go into unprepared. WIth those of us with kitchens, that means stocking up on pantry items and cooked compliant food. For you, this might mean making a list of places who have W30 compliant menu items. Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for all of the lovely suggestions!  :)

I seem to be the only person on my dormitory floor who is doing the whole30 -- most other people either do not cook, or make things that are clearly off-limits. Fortunately, I have enough access to the kitchen that I can make late (after 8PM) dinners, so this is what I intend to do from now on.

I'm wondering: does everyone really do this perfectly? It sounds like everyone who completes the whole30 doesn't mess up-- not even a little! Already I have committed some food errors. Doing this reset seems mentally impossible-- but I am definitely trying to remain positive! :D

Thank you very much for all of the lovely suggestions!  :)

I seem to be the only person on my dormitory floor who is doing the whole30 -- most other people either do not cook, or make things that are clearly off-limits. Fortunately, I have enough access to the kitchen that I can make late (after 8PM) dinners, so this is what I intend to do from now on.

I'm wondering: does everyone really do this perfectly? It sounds like everyone who completes the whole30 doesn't mess up-- not even a little! Already I have committed some food errors. Doing this reset seems mentally impossible-- but I am definitely trying to remain positive! :D

I cannot answer for everyone else but I am fortunate enough to be able to do the w30 wholeheartedly and with 100% compliance.  I only have to cook for myself, I do my own grocery shopping, I do not need to eat out or buy food on the go - all of this makes it easier but the last part is a conscious choice for the 30 days at least. Pre W30 I would often eat takeaways or buy when out and had every excuse going for doing so! 11 days in and life has not changed other than my attitude - W30 is important to me and therefore I am going to make it work!

I wonder whether you have a freezer - or if it would be possible to get one?  If so you could do some batch cooking of things that are easy to freeze and which would do well in packed lunches.  If you use the same eateries on a regular basis, try having a chat with some of the staff and perhaps coming up with a couple of options that are compliant so you know you always have a 'safe' choice if needed.  It may be that you need to prepare first and then start the whole30 over again - then you won't need to keep restarting when the mistakes happen.  Yes, you are facing more challenges than many others doing the programme - but they are just that; challenges, and can be overcome.  Let's face it - if a doctor had told you that eating any of the 'forbidden' foods on this programme was going to kill you instantly, I am pretty darned sure you would find a way to avoid them!! (you did say you wanted tough love!)  

• Administrators

I'm wondering: does everyone really do this perfectly? It sounds like everyone who completes the whole30 doesn't mess up-- not even a little! 

Yes, most people do it by following all the rules for the entire duration.  But that's not to say that most people get it right the first time. If you wander about the forum you'll see lots of restarts and coaching from advanced members and moderators.  No one said this was easy or that you would nail it the first time out. ;)

Yes, most people do it by following all the rules for the entire duration.  But that's not to say that most people get it right the first time. If you wander about the forum you'll see lots of restarts and coaching from advanced members and moderators.  No one said this was easy or that you would nail it the first time out. ;)

You're not wrong about the difficulty of getting things right the first time. Found out today that the same restaurant I went to deep-fries part of the dish I eat. So, it's not compliant at all! Of course, I found out today, again, AFTER eating it. I'm not even angry at myself at this point. I just need to cook more and figure out a new place to get food. 

I cannot answer for everyone else but I am fortunate enough to be able to do the w30 wholeheartedly and with 100% compliance.  I only have to cook for myself, I do my own grocery shopping, I do not need to eat out or buy food on the go - all of this makes it easier but the last part is a conscious choice for the 30 days at least. Pre W30 I would often eat takeaways or buy when out and had every excuse going for doing so! 11 days in and life has not changed other than my attitude - W30 is important to me and therefore I am going to make it work!

I wonder whether you have a freezer - or if it would be possible to get one?  If so you could do some batch cooking of things that are easy to freeze and which would do well in packed lunches.  If you use the same eateries on a regular basis, try having a chat with some of the staff and perhaps coming up with a couple of options that are compliant so you know you always have a 'safe' choice if needed.  It may be that you need to prepare first and then start the whole30 over again - then you won't need to keep restarting when the mistakes happen.  Yes, you are facing more challenges than many others doing the programme - but they are just that; challenges, and can be overcome.  Let's face it - if a doctor had told you that eating any of the 'forbidden' foods on this programme was going to kill you instantly, I am pretty darned sure you would find a way to avoid them!! (you did say you wanted tough love!)  

NEEDED that last bit-- exactly the tough love I was looking for. I think I will prepare first-- and then start over this weekend. With each mistake made, I have a better idea of what I can/ cannot eat. So I can't say that this is all for nothing, thank goodness!  :D

Just had a thought... can you get a small refrigerator for your room?

I actually own one! :) I store most of my groceries in there (with the exception of meat-- I suspect that my fridge's temperature is not low enough, so I put my ground beef in the communal dormitory fridge). 

Archived