Reintroduction starting week of July 19 - strength in numbers

MidModJenn

Day 31 here! For 30 days I dreamed about what I would eat on day 31. And now here it is mid afternoon and I haven't strayed one bit and I'm planning whole30 chili for dinner. Maybe I'll throw some corn in it just to be a rebel :) I just feel too much "better" than pre whole30 to go crazy off track now.

Reintroducing dairy today - feta in my M1 omelet, feta in my M2 Greek salad, and adding sour cream and cheese to some Mexican food I've been eating a lot lately.

So far... the cheese felt totally unnecessary in the omelet, and I don't want to eat it that way again. The feta was great in the Greek salad, though. No negative reactions so far, though I'm eager to see how I'm feeling tomorrow. The cheese is very filling, though... I'm almost too full!

Okay, here's a bit of an over-share...  has anyone else experienced "keto constipation" on W30?  Just in the past few days, right as I started Day 30, I've realized that things aren't moving along as they usually do.  If you've had it, what have you done to feel better?  :)

Do glad you guys started this. I will be checking in on you to read. I am going to jump on another W30 feed because the sugar dragon reared it's ugly head and I just need to start it again. With my trip I am going to be compliant as possible. 

Okay, here's a bit of an over-share...  has anyone else experienced "keto constipation" on W30?  Just in the past few days, right as I started Day 30, I've realized that things aren't moving along as they usually do.  If you've had it, what have you done to feel better?   :)

I've had the opposite affect. Diarrhea for the first 3 weeks of the whole30. I think it was definitely due to fat increase. The last week was just the best! So I can't say from personal experience and I don't know a lot about a specifically keto diet but maybe try to increase your fruit intake?   

OK... Dairy post-mortem. No obvious negative side effects, though I will say that I felt almost uncomfortably full after every meal, and all I changed on each was adding cheese or sour cream. Bowel movements (sorry if TMI) have been a little slower, though I don't think a negative impact serious enough to always avoid cheese, and for taste... the only time I actually enjoyed the cheese yesterday was when it was on my Greek salad.

All in all, that's a win, because I would really like to add cheese to some things, though I can see now that it doesn't work the way I was eating it - almost more of a condiment than an occasional ingredient.

Well... so much for slow-roll reintroduction. My team threw a potluck for me (I am switching teams soon, and we've had a good run), and while they did consciously make an effort to go healthier on my behalf (more fresh fruits and veggies than I've ever seen at a potluck in this company), there are some very off-plan things that, if I didn't try them, would come across as a personal insult to those who worked hard to make them. So... I'm drinking LOTS of water, focusing on the food groups that are compliant or close to it, and grabbing very small portions of the other things.

I've been going back and forth between continuing to stay compliant or start reintroducing. I think I've decided to just follow the 10 day reintro but start with non gluten grains because that's what I have at the house. I really have no desire to eat anything non compliant except wine. But I'd like to know if I have any negative side effects before I go out to eat or accidentally have something and not know why I don't feel good. So I'm going to test everything then stay pretty strict again expect for worrying about little amounts of added sugar in things.

I didn't want to go buy non compliant food mid week that I don't really want to eat or have here so I went into the box where I put the non compliant food and got some things to try tomorrow. I actually have the perfect amount of each for a trail and then there won't be any left in the house so I'm glad I saved them.

I think I'll do quinoa at lunch and brown rice at dinner. I was thinking oats for breakfast but I don't really like them and I used to only eat the brown sugar instant oatmeal or put strawberry preserves on plain oatmeal. I definitely don't want to go down that route as I'm feeling great with no sugar. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to prepare oatmeal so it's tasty but not packed with sugar?

I think I'll do quinoa at lunch and brown rice at dinner. I was thinking oats for breakfast but I don't really like them and I used to only eat the brown sugar instant oatmeal or put strawberry preserves on plain oatmeal. I definitely don't want to go down that route as I'm feeling great with no sugar. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to prepare oatmeal so it's tasty but not packed with sugar?

Oatmeal is always seen as a sweet thing, instead of a savory thing, but think about it like grits... I've had grits with shrimp, bacon, eggs, veggies, bunch of different things, and they were all delicious.

Oatmeal is always seen as a sweet thing, instead of a savory thing, but think about it like grits... I've had grits with shrimp, bacon, eggs, veggies, bunch of different things, and they were all delicious.

Oh I've never been a grits fan. But I've always been addicted to sweets so that's probably why. Maybe I'll just have it as a side to my usual breakfast with some coconut milk and some mashed banana? Like a 1/2 cup or something. I can't imagine eating a whole bowl of it sweet or savory. Plus I feel like the lack of protein and vegetables will just be a bad start to the day.

I wonder how much is enough to count as being exposed to it? I'd like to have the smallest amount possible!

Oh I've never been a grits fan. But I've always been addicted to sweets so that's probably why. Maybe I'll just have it as a side to my usual breakfast with some coconut milk and some mashed banana? Like a 1/2 cup or something. I can't imagine eating a whole bowl of it sweet or savory. Plus I feel like the lack of protein and vegetables will just be a bad start to the day.

I wonder how much is enough to count as being exposed to it? I'd like to have the smallest amount possible!

Ehh, the point was more that oatmeal has a similar texture, so it'd work with different things added to it. Whatever works for you.

I only had a small sprinkling of cheese at each meal yesterday and felt an impact.

ok so I wasn't really planning a textbook reintro. I ate compliant yesterday until dinner and I decided i'd throw some corn into my otherwise compliant chili. Since I was throwing the corn in I figured psh, I'll make cornbread! Because hell yes right?! Gluten free of course because I already know what gluten does to me. So I'm thinking wow, I ate so great, I feel so great, the chili was amazing, the cornbread practically swypOFF!! I'm all cocky thinking oh it's just corn, I love corn, nonGMO, organic corn is a gift from the earth meant to be partaken of. SO...here it is thenext afternoon and my stomach is rebelling... hard. I've given up cake, sugar, PASTA, and a list miles long of other enjoyable foods for the betterment of my health and mind... please not corn  :(  :(  :(

• Administrators

ok so I wasn't really planning a textbook reintro. I ate compliant yesterday until dinner and I decided i'd throw some corn into my otherwise compliant chili. Since I was throwing the corn in I figured psh, I'll make cornbread! Because hell yes right?! Gluten free of course because I already know what gluten does to me. So I'm thinking wow, I ate so great, I feel so great, the chili was amazing, the cornbread practically swypOFF!! I'm all cocky thinking oh it's just corn, I love corn, nonGMO, organic corn is a gift from the earth meant to be partaken of. SO...here it is thenext afternoon and my stomach is rebelling... hard. I've given up cake, sugar, PASTA, and a list miles long of other enjoyable foods for the betterment of my health and mind... please not corn  :(  :(  :(

Corn is bah-roo-tall for me.  Awful. Just horrid.  Sorry if that sounds like you too.  :(

Well... I had about an hour, hour and a half of head buzzing and not feeling great after the potluck. No bueno! Feeling much better after drinking lots of water in the last two hours. I have faced my fear - sugar - and I don't have any desire to eat any again for any reason other than enjoying something small in the moment. I *did* enjoy the small piece of brownie from the big plate my coworker made - she did a great job, they were delicious and not overly sweet - but I enjoyed a small amount, didn't feel compelled to eat the whole plate (like I would have before), and immediately started trying to wash the sugar out of my system with water. Then I was surprised to find out that they were made with dark chocolate... not something I was ever a fan of before, because I didn't think it was sweet enough! My taste buds have changed! And I could taste the sugar in the potato salad!

So, I had an unplanned re-intro this week -- I made spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and there was a teeny bit of white wine in the sauce.  We had the sauce in the pantry already, and I thought I'd bought it during our W30 month...  turns out it was from before we started.  Wine was way down on the ingredients list, but it was there...  and I definitely felt it afterwards!  My gurgle-y stomach and dry cough started up again within an hour of eating it at dinner...  and yesterday I had the leftovers for lunch, and there went the stomach and the cough again.  Amazing!  So I'm back to eating clean for the next few days.

My husband had a pinch of sweetened coconut yesterday at work, and got slammed with a headache almost immediately.  And he said the coconut was almost inedible because of the sugar.  :P 

My husband had a pinch of sweetened coconut yesterday at work, and got slammed with a headache almost immediately.  And he said the coconut was almost inedible because of the sugar.   :P

Gah! I know how he feels... the brownies yesterday had a little ice cream to go with them, so I put some on, and only had one bite of that. I was disgusted with it, and I used to be an ice cream fanatic.

Well, yesterday was a rough day on my body, even though I only ate very small amounts of noncompliant things. I found myself wanting to grab the lunch I'd brought instead of eating the foods from the potluck, but I did not want to discount all of the hard work they'd put into celebrating my time on the team. Needless to say, though I beat the sugar buzzing in my head with copious amounts of water, my digestive system was in distress last night and then again this morning. I was relieved to get home last night and make myself scrambled eggs with spinach and chorizo (compliant), and my compliant omelet this morning is comforting in a way.

After reading Kate's note about how much better she slept with screens off in the 30 minutes prior to sleep, I decided to give it a shot, and... huge difference. I am used to sleeping both fitfully and deeply, with little pockets of active time showing on my wristband's activity monitor. This time, looking at my sleep patterns on the app to which the wristband syncs, my sleep cycles looked like they came out of a textbook. Perfect, even rotation through light and deep sleep for just over 7 hours, with the only activity shown around the first time my alarm went off.

Hi all,

I've just come across the thread so i'll share my feelings so far..

Tried dairy on Tuesday - seemed fine, but i had a beer that night so i ended up having alcohol and gluten too that day. My stomach wasn't so great the next day but I think it was the booze - always does that to me! anyway, retrying gluten next week  so i can see how that affects me next week on its own and with regards to dairy i want to retest it over a few days and see how i go. 

had some none gluten grains this morning - some gluten free oats w/ compliant almond milk, spices and baked apple, felt no change whatsoever after these. Trying rice tonight.

i'm finding it hard to really test things as to be honest, my stomach issues never really got better on W30, in fact W30 seemed to make them a lot worse. They were okay before, now thy're really bad! I've had a few bouts of diarrhea the last few weeks and still was having to take loperamide this week on day 30 and day 32. I don't know why this is, but it is annoying. I experiences so many other benefits so have no regrets at all doing the W30 but i do wish this would clear up. It took a long time for me to experience the increased energy so maybe my gut's still healing, who knows?!

anyway, not worrying too much about re-intros as after i've re-introduced everything one by one and tested things, i'm going to be eating W30 about 80 -90% of the time, with odd off plan meals - i.e. overnight oats (so handy for after the gym in the morning), and assuming all goes well with legumes i'll probably add a few vegetarian meals back in like bean chilli, chickpea curry, etc. Aside from the odd bit of alcohol and relaxing things when people cook for me/i eat out everything else be based around W30/paleo principles.

I do wonder though if adding back in grains and legumes and the odd bit of dairy may help get my stomach back to where it was.

Well, yesterday was a rough day on my body, even though I only ate very small amounts of noncompliant things. I found myself wanting to grab the lunch I'd brought instead of eating the foods from the potluck, but I did not want to discount all of the hard work they'd put into celebrating my time on the team. Needless to say, though I beat the sugar buzzing in my head with copious amounts of water, my digestive system was in distress last night and then again this morning. I was relieved to get home last night and make myself scrambled eggs with spinach and chorizo (compliant), and my compliant omelet this morning is comforting in a way.

After reading Kate's note about how much better she slept with screens off in the 30 minutes prior to sleep, I decided to give it a shot, and... huge difference. I am used to sleeping both fitfully and deeply, with little pockets of active time showing on my wristband's activity monitor. This time, looking at my sleep patterns on the app to which the wristband syncs, my sleep cycles looked like they came out of a textbook. Perfect, even rotation through light and deep sleep for just over 7 hours, with the only activity shown around the first time my alarm went off.

the screens thing really help, i try to aim for an hour!

Tho my garmin still seems to think I get mostly "light sleep" - i tend to ignore the sleep monitor and go on how i feel. 

ah okay.... taking back what I said about grains being okay, a few hours after i've eaten oats and i've got stomach pains (which i haven't had for a while), bloating and gas.. i'll see how i go with rice tonight but i have a sad feeling this may be a food group i might have to be careful with.

so much for having overnight oats back in my life!

Happy weekend everyone!  Tonight will be my first true reintroduction test -- I'm going to a potluck, and depending on what's there, I may pick one item to have a small amount of.  I'm bringing (compliant) buffalo chicken salad and a crudite so that I have at least *something* I can eat without feeling bleh.  

Last night was especially hard -- I went with some girlfriends to see the new Absolutely Fabulous movie (sadly, it was just meh), and my brain was trying to rationalize all the reasons why I should get buttered popcorn.  Thank goodness 1. I had a huge compliant dinner beforehand so I wasn't hungry, and 2. I was able to remind myself that if I dove right back in with popcorn and fake butter, I'd probably spend half the movie in the ladies' room as my body rebelled.  :P 

Reintroduced gluten... so much gas.  :( This weekend was kind of a mess. Reintroductions so far... I've learned that dairy needs to be occasional and in small amounts. Bread in small amounts is okay; bread in larger amounts = bloating, gas. Beer = almost instant headache. We ate out a few times this weekend, and my body rebelled hard after each time (and I was picky about what I ate - lots of veggies and protein, tried to stay as close to compliant as possible). I'm shocked, knowing this about eating out now, that there aren't more restaurants that are Whole30 compliant. I'd pay a few extra dollars to know they only used olive oil and clarified butter, stayed away from unnecessary additives, and had dishes that didn't have 37 ingredients. That's another thing... I feel like restaurants these days are on flavor overload, with several (if not more) flavors that independently are strong enough to carry the dish combined into one big mess of food drama. Bleh. I don't like it when I can't even taste the avocado.

So... I thought... "Let's go back to normal for a few days to level out."  :D Normal = Whole30-compliant! I pretty easily wrote out a meal plan for the week and did my shopping, then did my prep last night, and everything felt normal. I love it... my normal has really changed for the better.

Also - one of my great fears coming out of Whole30 was that my sugar dragon would be resurrected, and a small amount of sugar would make me go crazy and stuff my face with as much sugar as possible. Well... I've had a few (limited) exposures to sugar, and that hasn't happened. I stopped at the gelato counter at the store because I wanted to have something cold and sweet I could have a bite of now and then, and I requested to taste-test a few flavors - a lemon and a vanilla. I tried both - wasn't really a fan of either, which is odd, because I feel like I normally would have loved both - and the attendant suggested I try the lemon sorbetto too (not because I hadn't liked the other two but because I mentioned how much I love lemon). Here's the kicker... I'm pretty sure I had a bitter beer face... it was sour and lemony... and I liked it the best and ended up getting some of that instead. After that small exposure to sugar, and even though I had a carton of it at home now, I completely forgot it was there and didn't go home and binge on sugar. So... the sugar dragon is dead!

Hey everyone!  Reintroduced dairy this weekend and, surprise surprise, my digestive issues came screaming back.  The thought of having mounds of cheese, like on nachos or a cheesesteak, is actually starting to gross me out.  Went right back to compliant foods and I feel better a day later!  Yay!

Well over the past 10 days this is what I have introduced and reactions I've had. I didnt wait long between most of these because I felt fine after eating compliant the day after. I'm also going on a trip so I want to see how I might feel if I encounter anything noncompliant but plan to not eat any of this on a regular basis.

Wine: 1 glass 3 different days. First time I had a headache most of the day after and a little foggy. The other times I had no reaction

Soy: had soy sauce which I noticed after also had wheat in it. Got a headache 30 min after eating that lasted all night.

Dairy: had cheddar on 3 meals in one day. Had a weird feeling in my stomach. Not really an ache or pain but like flutters. Kind of hard to explain but I kept questioning wether it was hunger or if it was something else.

Peanutbutter: I find myself wanting it daily which is something I need to work on. This used to be my evening sweet treat so I should probably just stay away from it altogether.

Gf grains: no reaction but I was uncomfortably full after each meal even though I didn't eat much and I was hungry again within a short time.

Archived