DAY ONE -- JULY 21

CeeGeeBee

Very excited to be starting today!  I'm 58 and want to be great!  Did all my shopping last night, got rid of crap in my pantry.  Recorded my start weight and have put away my scale.  Excited to take it one day at a time.  Good luck to everyone else out there!

Great to see you are planning ahead. I started yesterday as well. I also joined the July 18th thread since it is for those that started July 18 through today. Good to have a group to talk with so you should join too.

Hi everyone!

I also started on the 21st, although I had a few (3 or 4?) technically compliant days leading into that, during which I mindlessly took down a jar of nut butter and a bag of raisins. I realized that I need to get on here and be more mindful about what I am doing. 

This is my 4th Whole30, and I'm so looking forward to all of the great things the program brings - starting with better sleep! That's always been the first one I notice just a few days into the program. 

Sure, Andrea!  Great to see you're starting the plan.  Second day went well for me... went on a 6 mile hike in Colorado, brought an Rx bar for a snack on the trail.  How's it going for you?

Glad to hear!

That sounds like an awesome day, I love hiking. I'm sure Colorado is beautiful right now, too!

Going pretty well for me. I went to a boot camp this morning that absolutely left me sore & exhausted. But it made me feel great.

Although I'm sticking to the plan, it's a little intimidating to think of what's ahead. I've been reading the Whole30 Timeline and it looks like things are pretty rough until about the halfway point. 

Hey CeeGeeBee and andreap26

I also started 21 July! Today is day 3. I've got the flu, too weak to exercise and craving a chocolate. Was thinking of getting some snacks and restarting day 1 on Monday. But I've done that too many times this year.

So I'm putting my big girl panties (soon to be small again) on and hoping it clears by Monday so I can go run.

Welcome Barbara and Lebo and fastd!  Let's do this!

Lebo, feel better... good for you for hanging in there.  Take care of yourself.

Andrea, I'm a bit head-achy already, probably partially due to the altitude adjustment here and the fact that I'm drinking less caffeine than usual.

fastd -- you're a real veteran at this! any special tips or inspirations to keep us all on track?

Day Three is looming... going to play some golf in the mountains, then have a massage and a great healthy dinner in Vail... have a great day everyone!

Hey Lebo,

Sorry you're feeling down. I know it's rough & sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. But, like you said, it's time to do this for real! Get some rest. 

CeeGeeBee,

What are you drinking for caffeine now? Black coffee? 

I woke up this morning on Day 3 at 6:15am, completely naturally. That NEVER happens, especially on the weekend. I think I'll still definitely experience the ups & downs of the first 2 weeks, but I'm hopeful. My body is already changing & it's only been a couple days. 

Hope we can all withstand the weekend temptations & stay focused. Good luck, guys!

Hey Lebo,

Sorry you're feeling down. I know it's rough & sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. But, like you said, it's time to do this for real! Get some rest. 

CeeGeeBee,

What are you drinking for caffeine now? Black coffee? 

I woke up this morning on Day 3 at 6:15am, completely naturally. That NEVER happens, especially on the weekend. I think I'll still definitely experience the ups & downs of the first 2 weeks, but I'm hopeful. My body is already changing & it's only been a couple days. 

Hope we can all withstand the weekend temptations & stay focused. Good luck, guys!

I'm drinking caffeinated tea, but somehow it doesn't pack the same punch for me as coffee.  Felt better as the day went on today.

Hey CeeGeeBee and andreap26

I also started 21 July! Today is day 3. I've got the flu, too weak to exercise and craving a chocolate. Was thinking of getting some snacks and restarting day 1 on Monday. But I've done that too many times this year.

So I'm putting my big girl panties (soon to be small again) on and hoping it clears by Monday so I can go run.

Hi everyone!

Lebo, great job for sticking with it. In my experience, you've overcome one of the biggest hurdles of doing this thing right there! I have been there so many times as well - telling myself that I will eat whatever today, and then start again tomorrow...or on Monday...or at the beginning of the next month. And on and on it goes. 

The first week of the Whole30 is tough, and it is so easy to throw in the towel, especially if you end up getting sick. What I always tell myself for the first week is that anything goes as long as I don't break the basic rules. While it is easier said than done, I try to let myself off the hook for not exercising as much as usual, and not to beat myself up if I eat a bit more fruit than I know is recommended, or cave and have dried fruit and nuts during that 3 pm slump that happens for some people when they transition to eating this way. Sure, I'm not flat out starving my sugar dragon at this point, but I'm also not quitting, which is a win!

Hey everybody

Thanks for the encouragement! Day 3 complete, now to take day 4 on by the horns. FYI, I'm in South Africa so am ahead of you guys time wise.

Thanks so much for letting me join.

Does anyone feel like their portions are too big? I try eat my whole plate to ensure that I don't snack but by the end of the meal I feel a bit gluttonous and can only have water an hour thereafter.

Secondly what is everyone having for their pre and post workout meal? On day 1 I had a small bit of pork and 1/4 avo, post I had pork and gem squash.

Hope everyone is having a great day 3.

Welcome Barbara and Lebo and fastd!  Let's do this!

Lebo, feel better... good for you for hanging in there.  Take care of yourself.

Andrea, I'm a bit head-achy already, probably partially due to the altitude adjustment here and the fact that I'm drinking less caffeine than usual.

fastd -- you're a real veteran at this! any special tips or inspirations to keep us all on track?

Day Three is looming... going to play some golf in the mountains, then have a massage and a great healthy dinner in Vail... have a great day everyone!

Ha ha, I don't feel like a veteran, but I was trying to think about what I've learned from past Whole30s. I wrote a few down in my Whole30 log (A Mindful Whole30). Check it out if you are interested! 

Along the lines of what I wrote above, my mantra at the moment is "don't let perfection be the enemy of good." Yes, it is important to follow the basic Whole30 rules to the letter, but there is a learning curve when it comes to understanding how to make the program work for you and your life. For me, I really struggle with mindless, and at times binge, eating. I am also very prone to all-or-nothing thinking - I want to do the perfect Whole30, or I want to quit and start again tomorrow. In reality, every Whole30 I've successfully completed has happened because I was willing to make course corrections the whole way along, and didn't let setbacks (e.g., getting sick, going to town on a jar of nut butter) lead me to quit. I guess this is a long way of saying it is important to be kind to yourself, especially during the first two weeks. More concretely, I think having a few super easy meals on hand that you love and can whip up quickly is really great for those after work meltdowns that can happen during the first two weeks of the program :) 

Fastd, GREAT advice! Thank you.  Love the admission about perfection... I'm that way too, as well as an all-or-nothing thinker.  One day at a time for me.

Being kind to oneself is key.  I had a massage yesterday and savored the feeling of something delightful that did not involve food.

Having easy meals on hand (or even in mind) is also important, so we don't turn to the wrong foods in haste or in desperation.  When I go out to eat I check out the menu online ahead of time, pick my best option, and then ask the server to modify the dish if needed to comply.

Lebo, I do feel that I am eating too much, especially on the protein side, in an effort to fill up at meals to avoid snacks.  I think it's hard to overeat on the vegetable side, so I'm trying to crowd the plate with veggies first and then get the right portion of protein squeezed in.

Day 4 has dawned in Colorado... psyched for the farmer's market in town and then another great hike today, followed by a healthy brunch.  Hang in there, peeps!

Thanks for the advice, fastd! I can really relate to the all-or-nothing mindset. I either wanna do it completely correct or not at all. Thanks for the reminder to be kind to ourselves. After all, our bodies are literally fighting within themselves. 

So, I'm on vacation & temptations are rapidly arising. I plan to stay strong, but I honestly find myself feeling sad as I watch others indulge. 

It's true that I could have started this journey after this trip, but I was so unhappy with my lifestyle & eating habits prior to this that I probably would feel even worse on this trip. I'm powering through but it's not easy!

Also, I know it's not good to over-do it on fruits. How many servings are you guys doing per day? 

Good morning all!  Day Five has dawned.  

Lebo, I hope you're feeling better today.  

Andrea, on the fruit issue, I agree it's so easy to overdo.  Right now the produce in Colorado is beautiful and tempting, especially the peaches and berries.  It's hard not to go for those!  I'm trying to have fruit just with breakfast and then perhaps as a "finisher" ( I did NOT say dessert!) at dinner.

It's a beautiful day in Colorado.  Off soon for a round of golf, can't wait!  Have a great day, everyone...

Hey guys

I'm feeling way better thanks. I'm at the office finishing off some work. But plan to do cardio and a 20 min leg workout tomorrow morning.

Andreap26 I've been having between 2 to 3 a day, generally apples and bananas. Where are you vacationing? Keep strong. I remember reading somewhere something along these lines "it's just 30 days, it's not that hard. Beating cancer is hard, having a baby is hard" Lets try think of the end result and how proud of ourselves we'll be at the very end of it ;)

Enjoy the golf CeeGeeBee.

25 days to go and counting

Hey guys

I'm feeling way better thanks. I'm at the office finishing off some work. But plan to do cardio and a 20 min leg workout tomorrow morning.

Andreap26 I've been having between 2 to 3 a day, generally apples and bananas. Where are you vacationing? Keep strong. I remember reading somewhere something along these lines "it's just 30 days, it's not that hard. Beating cancer is hard, having a baby is hard" Lets try think of the end result and how proud of ourselves we'll be at the very end of it ;)

Enjoy the golf CeeGeeBee.

25 days to go and counting

CeeGeeBee, thanks for the suggestion. I know, fruit is so plentiful this time of year & it's hard not to just dive right in, especially when I'm craving sugar. I've started drinking plain herbal tea whenever I feel a craving coming on. 

Lebo, SO TRUE. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm here in Hawaii! It's gorgeous & the warm weather tempts me with gelato, popsicles, & smoothies. But like you said, it's 30 days. I can live without those things for 30 days. 

Have any of you started noticing changes? Personally, I don't feel as bloated & my clothes aren't as snug. What about you guys?

• Administrators

CeeGeeBee, thanks for the suggestion. I know, fruit is so plentiful this time of year & it's hard not to just dive right in, especially when I'm craving sugar. I've started drinking plain herbal tea whenever I feel a craving coming on. 

If you end up feeling like you really must eat something, go for fat.  Olives are a good one here because they are satisfying and briney which is the opposite of sugar.

If you end up feeling like you really must eat something, go for fat.  Olives are a good one here because they are satisfying and briney which is the opposite of sugar.

That's a great suggestion, thanks! I can't wait to be completely free of sugar/carb cravings.

Day 5 down!

I had a great day - until this evening, that is, when mindlessly snacking on dried fruit and nut butter got the better of me. I have no idea why I even bring it into my house! I suppose I always think that, this time, I will have the willpower to resist. Anyways, I have now removed said nut butter and dried fruit from my home, ha ha.

Regarding *fresh fruit, I think that really depends on your context. I'm pretty active and find my job very "thinking-intensive" (that sounds strange, but I don't know how else to put it!). I know that my brain and body can't function without a certain amount of carbohydrates. In fact, going below that amount can spell disaster for me, especially when I am getting back on track with a Whole30. Fresh, seasonal fruit can be great in that context. As long as it is consumed as part of your meal, and doesn't crowd vegetables off your plate, I think most people will still see a lot of progress with one or even two pieces or servings a day. That's especially true if the fruit you are eating is stuff like berries, as opposed to a banana. That being said, I love bananas, have eaten them during every Whole30 I've done, and always seen a lot of progress with body composition, energy level, etcetera. This is just my two cents, of course! Everyone is different.

Archived