Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

12 minutes ago, mrsrooddog said:

Oy, it's been a rough few days. On Saturday I woke up with terrible abdominal pain and I've been feeling incredibly sick ever since. It seems to be worse after I eat but I'm trying to force myself to stay on plan, even though I don't want to eat anything. Has anyone else experienced intestinal stuff near the end of a round or heard of anyone who has? Up to this point, I had not experienced any of the symptoms described (withdrawals, hate all the things, carb flu, etc). I'm wondering if it's W30 related or if I caught some nasty intestinal bug (I do work part time in the Emergency Department so who knows what I come into contact there!). If it's W30 related, I'm considering extending my round to see if it clears up. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to eat this way moving forward and do my best to plan for the unexpected and allow myself treats, like a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie, every once in a while but not as a rule. I'm disappointed I never experienced tiger blood; I was really looking forward to that! I'm also looking forward to weighing myself although I'm not very hopeful; I don't think I've lost much, if any, weight. Trying to get into the mindset of focusing on the NSV gains.

I came down with a really bad GI virus or food poisoning on Day 24 ... pretty much couldn't keep anything down for two days. Ended up downing two bottles of Gatorade watered down (desperate times!). Anyone know whether this kicks me back to Day 1? Back on plan for Day 26 and will probably keep to a mostly Whole30 diet after Wednesday ... esp. as my husband started about a week ago. I never did experience Tiger Blood either ...

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, repartee said:

I came down with a really bad GI virus or food poisoning on Day 24 ... pretty much couldn't keep anything down for two days. Ended up downing two bottles of Gatorade watered down (desperate times!). Anyone know whether this kicks me back to Day 1? Back on plan for Day 26 and will probably keep to a mostly Whole30 diet after Wednesday ... esp. as my husband started about a week ago. I never did experience Tiger Blood either ...

Unfortunately, I think it does restart your Whole 30...the program is pretty strict about added sugars and other additives, which unfortunately the Gatorade contains. But you did what you had to do to get past the virus or food poisoning, and it is what it is. I encourage you to keep going if you can! Especially because your husband is still working his program. I think there's a few of us still here that will be continuing on, and we'll try to give you whatever support you need!

Also, I did a search in the forums about stomach viruses and what to eat, maybe this link will help you or others: 

Good luck!

Day 30 is here and Hubby and I are still here with everyone.  In fact since August has 31 days my husband, who started this kicking and fighting, has decided that we will continue for an extra day - gives me an extra day to plan our re-introduction schedule.  I am so amazed and happy to see that he could stop the diet soda and Splenda addiction.  He actually asked me what he could use in place of Splenda since he really misses a little sweetness in his coffee.  I think I may have some Truvia in the house - will have to look.

I believe my biggest triggers going forward will be white wheat products - I know deep in my heart that they are what causes me to fell slowed down and but on the belly fat.  I have not been craving sugar - so sweets I can do without for now and only have for special occasions.  I found a paleo recipe for Banana Bread that I really want to try - that is probably what I am looking forward to make and eat right now.

Roodog, I've been having GI distress since Sunday :mellow:. I think it might have been the Chipotle (all compliant but maybe they did something to their carnitas). Last night I had broccoli with dinner and have horrible pain this morning. I haven't had anything like this for the entire time. Kind of bummed I might have to delay reintro. We leave for vacation in 11 days. 

Way to go everyone!! So thrilled the end is near (Though they lie about reintro only being 10 days--it's at least 12 if you skip alcohol bc of the 2 clean eating days after the last reintro. ;))

Happy Day 30 everyone!! Major NSV this morning: I was able to comfortably put on a pair of work pants that I had not worn in at least a month or two PRIOR to starting the Whole30. I am ecstatic!!

I also ran three miles last night, for the first time in about three months, with no low back pain. The majority of the inflammation I had been experiencing in my back all summer long disappeared this past month, and it's been such a relief. I truly believe eating Whole30 played a large part, in addition to cutting back on CrossFit workouts as well as purchasing orthotics from my chiropractor. No back pain is even more of a motivation to keep eating clean for me!

Finish strong!!!

Hip hip hooray to us all!

Thanks Alicia for starting this thread and to all for your contributions. This support really helped me day by day. I am grateful to this program for guiding me away from compulsive eating. If someone told me that on day 30 I would NOT be planning a "food festival/blowout" I wouldn't have believed them (major NSV). This truly feels like a new beginning, not an ending. I am going to curiously begin reintroducing foods tomorrow and will continue to look to this tribe for support. 

DAY 30.....................................

So funny- I feel both amazed I did it and amazed that it wasn't hard really. I wasn't perfect, Ill admit it. I never had a non-compliant ingredient pass by my lips BUT I did do some "non-recommended" things such as smoothies (coconut almond milk, bone broth, chia seeds and banana) and I certainly didn't eat ENOUGH on many occasions because of not planning properly or just plain lack of appetite. But I really have not had added sugar, grains, gluten, dairy, soy, legumes...(am i forgetting one?) for 30 WHOLE DAYS.

Tomorrow I will...(drumroll)..eat the same. I haven't quite figured out how best i should do the reintroductions and, most importantly, i'm going out to "celebrate" on Thursday where I have decided my most desired thing to now be able to have is a drink. Vodka soda anyone? 100% agave tequila? So Day 32 will be my first adventure back into the "pre-Whole 30" realm. Id like to also add back corn so I can have some chips with my tequila, because i'm really not trying to examine how tequila affects my system. I kind of already know that. When I wake up with a headache on Friday, I don't think Ill blame the chips. But we will see. Ive gotten very choosy about just what i will put in my body-which is exactly what was supposed to happen!

What is everyone else planning?

I went in to today thinking I would try hummus. My throat has still been scratchy and sore from a cold I got earlier and I know it's best to wait to reintro until your system is full tilt. I leave for vacation on the 10th, so I can't drag it out too much. When it came down to it today, hummus didn't sound good without pita chips, so I'm going straight for corn whenever I feel like my body is back to normal. Then a hot date with dairy free pizza next Wednesday. 

Wanted to give a final reckoning ... I ended up weighing about  ~7 pounds less than when I started but I think the bulk of that was due to the GI virus I had on  Day 24/25. Couldn't keep anything down. On Day 31, had a bit of peanut butter (legumes!) and then today was back on Whole30 since 1) I do technically need to re-start with the Gatorade I drank (see GI virus), 2) my husband started so it's easier to cook the same thing for both of us and 3) want to see where my weight stabilizes after another couple of weeks. I'm probably going to be fairly strict for about two weeks of September and then I have a fair amount of travel. Planning on sticking to whole foods as well as I can then, but not going to stress about it. Getting sick really threw everything for a loop, diet and exercise-wise. Hard to answer the question of "how did it affect you", too, when I'm still feeling less than 100%. Hoping to do another Whole 30 sometime in 2017 when I have a solid month with no events / travel / etc ... 

Repartee--That's such a bummer to get so sick during the Whole30--right when you should be feeling great.  Hopefully your next Whole30 will be great.

AmyRosina--how'd your tequila/corn reintro go?

Kannk--did you introduce anything yet?

Everyone else?  Are ya'll doing reintros?

I still haven't reintroduced anything yet.  Surprising to me, because I thought I would be so "done" after the 30th day.  Even looking at the reintro schedule early on, I thought having to do 2 days of compliant eating in between was daunting.  I'm going out with a friend tonight to a restaurant.  I called to confirm their ingredients in a couple of dishes.  Their cauliflower hummus has soybean oil in it :(.  Now I have to decide if it's worth a little bit of soybean oil to see how I tolerate soy, or should I try a dish with corn tortillas and see how I tolerate corn.  Or neither, because I don't really miss any of it ;).

Archived