Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

Hey everyone! I started my third Whole30 today, with my major goals being to get back on track with my food (I tend to cheat a lot on the weekends), hopefully lean out some (all of my pants are tight on me right now), and hopefully reduce inflammation, as I've got a low back injury I'm dealing with right now. I post a lot of pics and videos of my meal prep on IG and Snapchat (AbbyQ17), if you want to give me a follow for meal planning ideas - although I really can't take any credit, all credit goes to the awesome cookbook authors and bloggers I follow, such as Mel Joulwan, Nom Nom Paleo, and a few others. Let's do this, guys!!!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! I'm actually sort of re-committing after falling off the wagon in July. For some reason, this time the detox is harder (I can't even tell you how badly I want a huge juicy burger and shake right now!) but I am gluten sensitive, lactose intolerant, and pre-pre-diabetic (my sugar is at 95, pre-diabetes is 99), so in all reality this is how I should eat anyways! Good luck to all!

I did okay today. I am sure I did not eat enough-nor did I have enough vegetables. Hope to load up on those at dinner here in a few minutes. A few things I remember from my last Whole30...eat healthy approved fats with meals, breakfast becomes Meal 1 and does not have to consist of eggs(I actually ran out of eggs yesterday), schedule meals so I am not starving in-between...

Since last September I have followed quite a few chefs, mostly Paleo, on Instagram. Lots of great meal ideas from the Whole30 recipes Instagram account. And easy. 

Today is the first day of my first Whole30. I started off quite confidently this morning and by lunch time I had a flash of panic--like what have I gotten myself into?! I managed to talk myself down and stayed on track through dinner this evening. I learned about this program through my reading of Paleo diets and it seems like the support I need to make some serious improvements to my health. Wish me luck!

First day on Whole30 was today.  Trying to learn the navigation of all the forums as well as the food.  Can someone please tell me, on the fats.....do we pick one for every meal, or do we eat all of them at each meal.  The way it is written it sounds like we eat all of the fats at each meal and that sounds like a lot.  Thanks.

Hi All,

I'm starting today with my second attempt to W30. I didn't make it ti the 30 days last time, since my life was shaken up a bit due to the cancellation of my international work project, and having to move house and country..

I'm hoping to be more energetic and sleep better, get more flexible / less stuff joints, have less brittle nails and get a bit more skinny (or less fat ;) )

Happy W30ing

Yes Elizabeth, I also was grouchy AND tired today! I had an urgent work project so ate lunch way too late, and I didn't get as prepared yesterday as I wanted. Good thing I had such a delicious breakfast (leftover salmon, veggies, and olives).

Teresa - you should eat fat with every meal, and the amount depends on the type of fat (1-2 thumb sizes of oils/butters, 1/2-1 avocado, 1-2 heaping open handfuls of olives or coconut, 1 closed handful of nuts, or 1/4 - 1/2 can coconut milk). You can combine but then would adjust the quantity of each.

Here we go, day 2! Has anyone gotten sick with a cold while doing Whole30? I've been sick for over a week with a nasty summer cold that just doesn't want to go away. I think I'm finally on the mend so I decided to start W30 yesterday like I'd originally planned. Unfortunately, most cold meds are out due to added stuff. Part of me thinks it might be a blessing in disguise because I already felt pretty terrible so today I can't tell if my aches are from the cold or the detox starting, ha! I'm going to keep trucking on and hope that this cold finally goes away. Any tips from those of you who have experienced colds during previous W30's would be greatly appreciated!

mrsroddog - have you tried drinking bone broth for your cold?  I would think that will help the cold go away faster. 

That is a wonderful idea! I was actually talking to my husband this morning that we need to save the bones from the chicken we're having for dinner so I can make some broth. Which brings up another question I have for the forum...

Where does everyone get bones for your bone broths? Do you just go to the grocery store and ask for them? Buy meat with bones to begin with? 

Mrsrooddog, I usually roast a whole chicken (they are cheaper than buying chicken breast sometimes) and take all the meat off, then just put the entire carcass into the crockpot overnight to make the broth. I fill the crockpot with enough water just to cover the contents. I usually throw in some quartered onion, some garlic cloves, celery ribs, some carrots and a bay leaf and some thyme. It sits for 10 hours overnight and super easy. Plus all the meat you took off the chicken is usually enough for a few meals. Hope you feel better soon!

Got through Day 1 OK! I did a lot of prep on Sunday ... if anything, I overdid it. There is a lot of Pyrex sitting in the fridge. For meals, I just go in and mix and match. Already, I can tell I'm never going to eat tuna in spring water again. The stuff in olive oil is soooo good! 

*waiting patiently for the boundless energy*

;-)

I am a nanny as well for 2 unhealthy boys! (I have to say they are starting to love my Whole39/paleo cooking though...progress!) I usually do pretty well when I am with them. Most of the stuff they have I am actually allergic to anyways. My struggle is with nut butters, which the boys love every kind! I always pack my own food to take to work, but I think you're right that staying busy is key with kiddos!

I try to make them like healthy food. Unfortunately anything I say gets thrown out the window when mom gets home. I took them out for ice cream last week (to celebrate my birthday and grabbing on last ice cream before my whole 30) and mom knew we had just gotten home from that and still hands them a bag of candy. But you're right anything I can expose them to can only be good, and I always stress that my food makes me grow big and strong (;

Yeah I have a short fuse today too. And I forgot my chicken that was supposed to go in my salad at home ): luckily I could quickly hard boil eggs to replace it. (I just hate them and had to gag down my salad) I'm also really nervous about being drained on days 5-6....I'm going to the Adirondacks this weekend and I'm supposed to

Hike a mountain. But I feel great about the choices I'm

Making and I even found some

Whole 30 approved hotdogs to roast on the fire ;)

First day on Whole30 was today.  Trying to learn the navigation of all the forums as well as the food.  Can someone please tell me, on the fats.....do we pick one for every meal, or do we eat all of them at each meal.  The way it is written it sounds like we eat all of the fats at each meal and that sounds like a lot.  Thanks.

Pick one fat - or use a combination that would equal about one fat or so.  Don't eat all fats at every meal - that would be a whole lot.

Day 2 - so far so good.  I also didn't do a great job this past weekend planning, so I am preparing very simple (and now I realize boring) meals.  Today I have not really felt "hung over", however, my energy level is not great and I really don't think I could do any major thinking work today - head is a little foggy and I'm tired.

Also really would like a snack just about now (3 pm), but I realize that this is just my mind and not my stomach.  Good news is that for the past 2 days I have no been hungry mid morning at all - must be the eggs and bacon (compliant of course).  Feeling good that I can make it through today.

I'm still tired on Day 2, but one of my goals is to get to bed earlier to get enough sleep at night, and I did not do that last night! It has been so hot here, so I think I'm not all that hungry for anything, and the simple meals thrown together have all hit the spot with no additional cravings (although thoughts of Diet Coke and creamy iced coffee randomly pass through my mind).

Sounds like a few of us need to do some more planning. I'm hitting the Farmer's Market tomorrow and will also make a meal plan and prep list to do this weekend when I may be REALLY tired with no mental energy to figure out next week's meals!

Good luck with the rest of the day! Great job everyone! I love reading all the posts and get motivation from you, so the more the better!

Archived