Where can I find ghee?

• Moderators

I'm surprised Trader Joe's doesn't have it, I know people buy it there. It might be in the refrigerated section with other butter, or it might be with oils since it is shelf stable. Whole Foods, Sprouts, or a local health food store if you have one might have it. You can also make your own pretty easily. Or you could just skip it until you find it somewhere else and cook in coconut oil, olive oil, lard, tallow, or duck fat until you come across some -- for those last three, check your regular grocery store for Epic brand in jars, my normal grocery store has started carrying them on the same aisle as other oils.

Make your own! I hate the browned butter taste of ghee and stick to the classic clarified butter state. Alton Brown explains all and you can make a pound during one 45 minute Netflix episode of your favorite TV show. You can use Kerrygold for the luxury edition or generic unsalted butter for the frugal version.

I had trouble finding it at TJ's too; I kept looking with the rest of the butter products and did realize it was a shelf stable product.  

I haven't tasted it yet, have you?  Does it just taste like butter?

Clarified butter (unbrowned) tastes just like butter (to me) only better. (And it doesn't burn.) It helped make my Whole30 food delicious.

Ghee (continuing to cook the clarified butter until it browns) has a nuttier taste.

Make your own! I hate the browned butter taste of ghee and stick to the classic clarified butter state. Alton Brown explains all and you can make a pound during one 45 minute Netflix episode of your favorite TV show. You can use Kerrygold for the luxury edition or generic unsalted butter for the frugal version.

Lurve the KGB version. 

Archived