Cafeteria, should I restart?

etakez

I'm on day 7 of the whole30, and it has been good thus far. However, due to a special program I am participating in, I've been eating at a cafeteria-type establishment. I often skip the meats because they have sauces on them. I skip eggs that are prepared on the grill because of the mystery oil that they use and I eat a lot of salad.

Today I saw that they had mashed sweet potatoes. I asked if there was anything added to it or if it was just plain sweet potato, the woman confirmed that there was nothing added. After I finished my meal, I was thinking and realized that mashed potatoes often have milk added. I went to ask her if that was the case and she said that she thinks there is milk in it. 

Now, I'm not sure if I should restart or how much of an impact this will have on the program. Any insights?

Also, do you think I would be able to trust their hamburger patties? 

It's upsetting getting 25% of the way there, but I'll restart if I have to.

You get to make that decision.  I think it depends on your end game.  Do you plan on conducting a reintro process.  If  you want food sensitivity knowledge...start over.   It's your best opportunity to gauge how foods affect you going forward.  

Some that enjoy the side effects of weight loss choose to keep going.  However,  that tends to backfire on Day 31 and beyond when to they return inforce to every old food they used to eat.  I would start over and whether you add extra days on, it's all the same thing.

I would draw that line in the sand and start over.  When you accomplish 30 compliant days, you feel that sense of accomplishment.  Only one compliant Whole 30 is required for a reintro but you want that one. It will be meaningful that way.  You'll see. 

As MeadowLily has said YOU get to decide.

Know though that for the gut reset in order to carry out controlled reintroductions you need those 30 days of compliant eating. Your gut can't tell the difference between an accidental or a deliberate consumption of an off plan food - and one bite is enough for your gut to start over, even if you don't want to.

Personally if the woman told you that nothing was added to the sweet potato mash & then later confirmed that milk had in fact been added I'd find it hard to trust her on any of their other foods. It's up to you to ask the questions - and be as specific as you can.

Have a read at >this article< and let us know what you decide.

I've decided I will reset. I'm trying to figure out which intolerance I truly have after doing 80/20 paleo since November. 

This particular cafeteria hires special needs individuals, so I knew that asking specific questions might not necessarily be an option. 

Right now I have access to salad, baked potatoes, fruit and hard boiled eggs from the cafeteria. Occasionally there will be plain cooked veggies and plain grilled chicken. In my hotel room I also have a microwave and fridge. I've been making eggs in the microwave and bought some whole30 compliant sausage and deli meat. What else can I do to make sure I'm meeting nutritional requirements? 

Good call re the re-start :) 

Regarding food options how about tinned fish? Tuna, mackerel, salmon & sardines are all good, portable, healthy protein options.... then you can get pouches of olives for fat or avocados keep failry well... then jars of pickled veg could be stored in your room and provide a variety of textures/tastes.

Archived