Firestorm's Personal W30 Log

firestorm531

I did end up eating leftover roasted chicken, cucumbers, black olives (compliant) and peppers.  My new reality... The potassium foods will (hopefully) be a temporary deal, but I imagine I'll have to keep them in moderation.  For now, they're on the no-no list.

Foods to avoid:

Bamboo Shoots

Cassava

Corn

Flax

Lima Beans

Sweet Potato

Cruciferous Vegetables: Arugula, Boh Choy, Broccoli, Broccolini, Brussel spounts, Cabbage, Canola, Cauliflower, Chinese Broccoli, Chinese Cabbage, Collard greens, Horseradish, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard Greens, Mustard Seeds, Radishes

Wasabi

Watercress

Turnips

Asparagus

Corn

Rutabaga

Soy

Gluten

Fatty foods - including butter, mayonnaise, fatty cuts of meat

Sodium - less than 1500 milligrams a day

20-35g of fiber, too much will affect thyroid meds

Coffee

Alcohol

Limit - peaches, peanuts, pears, pine nuts, strawberries & spinach

Grains - barley, bulgur, durham, farina, graham flour, kamut, kasha, matzo meal, rye, semolina, spelt wheat

Nut - almonds, cashews, flax seed, hemp seed, pumpkin seed walnuts (unless roasted)

Fruit - grapes, grape juice, nectarines, wine

Beans - garbanzo, all soy products, edamame, tofu, tempeh, miso, 

Seafood - Farm raised Salmon, shark swordfish, tile fish, King Mackerel

Dairy

High Potassium Foods:

Avocados

Bananas

Cataloupe

Dried Fruits

Honeydew

Kiwi

Mangos

Oranges & Orange juice

Papaya

Prune Juice

Artichokes

Dried beans & peas

Pumpkin

Potatoes

Spinach (cooked)

Sweet Potatoes

Tomatoes, Tomato sauce

Vegetable juices

Winter Squash

Chocolate

Seeds & Nuts

Ice Cream

Milk

Yogurt

Molasses

I'm trying to come up with a list of compliant foods that are still available to me...
Mushrooms
Cucumbers
Bell Peppers (all colors)
Zucchini
Summer Squash
Jicama
Celery
Carrots (sorta off list as I have braces)
Apples
Blueberries
Raspberries
Blackberries
Cherries
Tangerines
Lemons
Limes
Honeydew Melon
Chicken/Beef/Pork/Turkey
Mayo (homemade only)
Poblano peppers/Jalapeños

Got any others I can add?

• Moderators

It sounds like you've got a lot to deal with as far as food restrictions, but you do have a pretty good list of stuff you can have, and since some of the restrictions are temporary, you'll probably be able to manage for a while.

You can do some nice stir fries with the veggies you list, those make quick and easy meals. You can cook the carrots and mash them like you'd do mashed sweet potatoes, that will get you some starchy vegetables. 

Many of the items you need to avoid are out for a whole30, so you weren't going to be having them for a while anyway. 

I don't see any mention of spices and herbs -- are there any of those you need to avoid?

Meats, oils, spices are all a go and I've been making due...  Down 11lbs, but that's due in part to the thyroid meds.  Either way, I'll take it!  LOL

Dealing with other health issues, so I've been coasting along and enjoying not being so focused on food.

Sugar is still very much a trigger and I'm not sure that is something that will go away in 30 days.  Better to be aware and plan, than to blindly give in though!

Archived