Whole30 OAMC freezer menu

I hope that it is okay to post a link to my site; I thought that this might help some folks out. I was introduced to the concept of once-a-month cooking (OAMC). The idea is that you spend one day cooking a month's worth of meals that you freeze. Then you barely have to cook for the rest of the month. I thought it would be perfectly suited for the Whole 30. I mean, it's easy to stay on track if your freezer is already loaded up with yummy meals. So I devised an OAMC menu and posted it here: http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html There are directions for grocery shopping, cooking, freezing, and re-heating.

That is great! I'm going to need to start making some meals ahead, as I will soon be working three 12-hour shifts each week and know my husband will be short on time to feed the family. Plus, he always seems to forget to include vegetables with dinner.

I really do not have the words to thank you for this. My family MUST eat Whole30 due to various food allergies, and the time involved is so hard for us with two young kids. My life may be dramatically different with this, even if I don't do the whole thing. Just knowing how to prep the fish in advance is a lifesaver as we have fish 2-3x/week.

You rock!

I really do not have the words to thank you for this. My family MUST eat Whole30 due to various food allergies, and the time involved is so hard for us with two young kids. My life may be dramatically different with this, even if I don't do the whole thing. Just knowing how to prep the fish in advance is a lifesaver as we have fish 2-3x/week.

You rock!

Ha, I am so glad that someone appreciates the fish recipe because it took me three tries to get that one right! :P

I also want to try this recipe from OAMM that involves freezing it after cooking: http://onceamonthmom.com/gluten-free-dairy-free-tilapia-with-lemony-spinach-and-mushrooms/

Ha, I am so glad that someone appreciates the fish recipe because it took me three tries to get that one right! :P

I also want to try this recipe from OAMM that involves freezing it after cooking: http://onceamonthmom...-and-mushrooms/

Just a note on freezing cooked fish. I had a personal chef business for 3 years. Basically I cooked fresh meals for families and then froze them so busy families could have good food that was convenient. I always used the fish dish as the one dish for the night of the delivery so that I didn't have to freeze it. Cooked fish does not fare well in the freezer. Please do try it in case it was just my experience, but I tried it many times and I was never happy with the texture. You could cook and freeze everything else though and just cook the Tilapia when it was time.

Yum! I subscribe to OAMM, but don't usually read it because I was assuming there wasn't much that would work for W30 (we only eat poultry and seafood, no red meat, which makes things more complicated). I will do that Wednesday night instead of my usual spinach/tomato salmon. Yay for variety!

Just a note on freezing cooked fish.... Cooked fish does not fare well in the freezer.

Right but the prepping fish frozen and putting it back in the freezer is BRILLIANT. I will do that next week. For this week, in terms of the tilapia (which will be some other white fish, I think, as I don't think I have tilapia) on Wednesday, I will either cook it Tuesday night and reheat or cook it Wednesday night for a late dinner.

Right but the prepping fish frozen and putting it back in the freezer is BRILLIANT. I will do that next week. For this week, in terms of the tilapia (which will be some other white fish, I think, as I don't think I have tilapia) on Wednesday, I will either cook it Tuesday night and reheat or cook it Wednesday night for a late dinner.

As in not cooking it? Yes, that is a very good idea. It will cook in the time the rest will re-heat!

This is SWEET!

I have a month of make-ahead freezer meals from another source that was made suitable for 'paleo', but as you mentioned in your post, there was a serious shortage of non-starchy veggies. And your menu looks so much more interesting!

Thanks so much for sharing with us!

It's from this website:

http://savingdinner.com/

Under 'shop' there is a selection of paleo tools. I bought (yes, paid for!) the '20 for the freezer' paleo menu. It's ok, but not great. Honestly, I haven't even made any of the recipes yet because none of them wow-ed me like I'd hoped! The concept is obviously sound though, so I'm thrilled that SIMMH is willing to share her version with us! :)

• 2 weeks later...

As in not cooking it? Yes, that is a very good idea. It will cook in the time the rest will re-heat!

I used to go to "Dream Dinners" with a friend of mine when we had little babies keeping us busy. It was one of those meal assembly places. We would prep all kinds of meals - uncooked. A bag for a side dish, a bag for the protein and or sauce, etc. To make the dinner meant to assemble and heat/cook it all. Everything TASTED fresh because it was freshly cooked but it only took a few minutes to do and there was hardly anything to clean up.

I loved the crockpot roast meals. Cut onions, celery, carrots, etc and add all the spices and a little broth. When it's time to make the roast, just put the whole bag of stuff in the pot with a fresh roast. The cool thing is you can prep all the stuff for TWO roasts at the same time and just thaw them out the night before you want to cook it. I would pull a Dream Dinners meal out once or twice a week.

After that experience, I used to put raw chicken breasts in individual bags with marinade and freeze them for future use. My husband would just thaw one out when he wanted it. let in marinate a little while and throw it on the grill. Adding veggies or a salad takes only minutes. I need to perfect a good marinade and begin doing that again. The marinade I used to use has HFCS!

I think I might do a little meal prep a la Dream Dinners. I sort of did it this week with a TexMex soup I made. It's veggies only so I can add either chicken, beef or shrimp to it and change it up. I had it last night with a ground beef, jalapeno sauce plus chopped avocado on top and it was good and quite different from the bowl I had the day before with added chicken.

Good luck planning out your meals everyone!

The greatest thing about cooking the foods we eat when doing a Whole30 is that they freeze well. We avoid all the problem ingredients that freeze poorly like potatoes, pasta, rice, sour cream, etc. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is so awesome! I'm starting my Whole30 on Monday and doing planning/groceries today and cooking tomorrow. I love the idea of OAMM but haven't done it before. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to provide all these resources- not feeling so overwhelmed now!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this menu!!! It has helped me take on the Whole 30 without dread. I spent Sunday cooking up a storm and my freezer is filled with deliciousness! I had the Meatza today for lunch, and was a bit scared of the name, it was sooooooo yummy!

Thank you for posting this menu!!! It has helped me take on the Whole 30 without dread. I spent Sunday cooking up a storm and my freezer is filled with deliciousness! I had the Meatza today for lunch, and was a bit scared of the name, it was sooooooo yummy!

Oh awesome!! I freaking love meatza, I make it all the time...takes less time to cook than meatloaf, less messy/annoying than making meatballs :)

Archived