Help needed before 7 pm!!

I am babysitting for my lovely neighbours this evening - they will be out for four hours.  They are Sri-Lankan and always want to feed me!!  I have refused the offer of them buying me a Chinese meal at least six times (no kidding) and have told them that if they do buy one it will go to waste because I will not eat it.

However:  I normally shop on a Monday but have not done so today - so am on the tail end of whatever is left in the fridge and cupboards (which is not a lot!)  I have made a big salad with minced meat, onion and olives for my dinner, which I will eat at about 6.30.  I have a boiled egg, a few nuts and an apple I can take with me but have to admit that today's meals have so far left me wanting more!

I need to be strong enough to throw away the food they buy me (oh yes - they will still buy it) or to leave it in their fridge so they can have it the next day.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dawn, it sounds like you have this one in hand already... not sure what tips you need! :) Maybe you can explain the details of the plan to them, alongside the anticipated benefits?

Also want to note that many cultures and people express love or caring through feeding one another - they are saying thank you, and I can see why you have a hard time denying the food. Maybe help them make better choices through the educational piece as listed above?

• Administrators

I was going to say the same thing. At this stage I don't believe that you really need help, you need to trust yourself and be strong and confident in the decisions you have made and continue to make for yourself.  You've got this.

Dawnski, you've got this. Don't underestimate yourself!

I used to work for an Indian family and decided I would go gluten free as an experiment to see if it'd help my headaches that took me out 1-2 days a month if not more and they started hunting for other GF food so if I had a late night working, I'd have something to eat. It's definitely a cultural thing (and I LOVE it but then I love food and cultures). Maybe explain why you aren't eating that food right now. Maybe instead of takeout, they can have some veggies and compliant meat in the fridge for you next time? I mean, if they WANT to feed you, then at least that's kinda simple and easy to do.

But it sounds like you have tonight under control. Stay the course. Remember you can do this.

Dawnski, you've got this. Don't underestimate yourself!

I used to work for an Indian family and decided I would go gluten free as an experiment to see if it'd help my headaches that took me out 1-2 days a month if not more and they started hunting for other GF food so if I had a late night working, I'd have something to eat. It's definitely a cultural thing (and I LOVE it but then I love food and cultures). Maybe explain why you aren't eating that food right now. Maybe instead of takeout, they can have some veggies and compliant meat in the fridge for you next time? I mean, if they WANT to feed you, then at least that's kinda simple and easy to do.

But it sounds like you have tonight under control. Stay the course. Remember you can do this.

When they first moved in I gained weight from all the lovely food they gave me :) It is definitely a cultural thing.  Tonight when I arrived at their house the first thing the husband said was 'I order food now?'  I explained again that I really didn't want it but thanked him for the offer - and then the wife asked me what I was eating so I quickly explained - and she dashed off to the kitchen and came back with a bowl with two plums, two pears and an apple :)  They are so lovely and so generous.  I found myself with the munchies a bit as I had not eaten all my tea before going over there.  I had one plum and a pear, then later I ate my egg, and some olives and a few almonds I had taken with me.   

Archived