Day 29 and I've gained weight and increased body fat %

A little background first....I spent the majority of my life obese. When I started my weight loss journey two years ago I weighed 265. When I started Whole30 29 days ago I weighed 140 and my body fat % was 24. As I have been on Whole30 I have felt like I was gaining and not losing and so I weighed and I'm at 146 and my body fat % is now 26.2. Needless to say I'm a bit discouraged and I'm freaking out a bit. I don't care about the scale, what I am concerned about is my body fat increasing. I am currently doing P90X for a work out and stick religiously to the schedule. I have stuck to the Whole30 plan religiously as well, following serving sizes and not cheating. Any ideas why this isn't working for me? I had really hoped to decrease my body fat instead of increasing. I will say I'm not struggling as bad with sugar cravings, but at the same time, I have worked too hard and too long to get where I am to mess it up now. I like eating this way, but maybe this just doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

In the morning pre-workout I have a boiled egg and usually about 1/4 cup of coconut. Post workout I have 3 egg whites and a small sweet potato or some pumpkin or squash. For breakfast I usually have a three egg omlett with spinach, tomotoes and mushroom. I use have a tsp of ghee to grease the pan and eat half an avacado. For lunch it varies, but about 1/4 pound of bison or turkey, or a couple of small cod fillets, with cabbage slaw cooked into the meat or brussel sprouts cooked 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil, or steamed brocoli or fire rosted tomatoes. For the healthy fat at lunch I usually have a 1/4 cup of coconut or a handful of macadamia nuts. For supper usually about the same as lunch with squash on a regular basis as well. Most days if I'm hungry I have a snack around 3:30pm or 4pm, which includes a boiled egg or a chicken sausage with two handfuls of carrots and a closed handful of black olives. I also put a bit of coconut milk in my morning coffee.

• Moderators

I agree with homerfrizzell that body fat measurement is often inaccurate.

Your food looks good, so my guess is that you are not eating too many calories.

The two things that come to mind to explain gaining rather than losing over the past month is sleep and training.

Are you getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night? It is difficult to lose weight when you are not getting good sleep.

How many days per week are you training intensely? Curiously, intense exercise may cause your weight loss to plateau or even reverse. The reason being that "too much" intense exercise can shove your body into conservation mode and make you burn fewer calories. I used to get excited about weight loss and try to speed it along by increasing exercise, only to find myself gaining weight as I did more.

I struggle with sleep. I"m a bit of an insomniac. But I am going to bed in plenty of time to get 8 hours sleep, I'm just not always successful at falling asleep.

The P90X program is 6 days a week for an 1 to hour and 15 depending on if Abs are included that day. It includes three days of lifting, one day of plyos, one day of Kenpo and one day of yoga. It's intense. I'm in my tenth week with two weeks to go before I finish the program, but I stay sore.

Archived