1st W30, not weighing is driving me nuts

MrsZimm13

Your blood results are very likely going to be better and also encouraging.  Your "why" hasn't changed, but your clothes fit better, your confidence is boosted and those are things the scale can't measure. 

Keep up the great job and know how encouraging you are to the rest of us!

J

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 31 not whole 30

Down about no weight loss - took Vit D 

walked the dogs 
B- 3 eggs, 3 bacon, broccoli, sweet potatoes
L- 2 salmon cakes, guacamole, cole slaw
Handful Macadamia nuts
D meatloaf, sautéed squash with onion and bacon
Cashews
Love juice-blue berries/strawberries soaked in vodka for a month, with club soda and stevia
Glass of wine
Coconut oil potato chips 
Woke up in the middle of the night hot and sweating.  I know this is a reaction to  the alcohol. 

Day 32 not W30 compliant
13000 steps- lots of walking today, walked the dogs, cleaned house in preparation for a dinner party, (by the way- the menu was W30 and everyone loved the food), yard work. 
Vit D
B-coffee, 2 salmon cakes, tartar sauce, veggies
L-3 pork ribs, lots of veggies
D- Shepard's pie, roasted root veggies.
2 glasses of wine, 
Paleo brownie
 Woke up in the night hot, tossing and turning. Thank you alcohol. 
 Did NOT have knuckle joint pain for the first time in over 2 months! 

On August 12, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Jager07 said:

Your blood results are very likely going to be better and also encouraging.  Your "why" hasn't changed, but your clothes fit better, your confidence is boosted and those are things the scale can't measure. 

Keep up the great job and know how encouraging you are to the rest of us!

J

Thanks J- today is a new day...time to carry on.  

On August 12, 2016 at 8:18 PM, littleg said:

I know this isn't *exactly* what is going on with you, but peruse this article.  If your body comp is changing (which clearly it is due to a much smaller waist - which is, by the way, the best place "metabolically" to lose it from) scale #s can be misleading. 

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

There is another series of articles the mods post a lot to this type of comment - its also about a woman going paleo and starting crossfit with dramatic changes in here body but no change in scale weight.  I did a quick search and couldn't find them, maybe someone else can.

Hey G-

thank you for taking the time to provide me the link.  I read the article, and to an extent Staci and I were living the same life. I do  have a desk job that leaves me very sedentary throughout the day. I believe I'm at double her age.

In January, I worked via email and phone with a trainer who provided me a workout routine and each week a new meal plan.  It was based on what a weightlifter would eat. It cost me a lot of money and at the end of 4 months I had lost 10lbs....not exactly the results I was looking for, but I realize now why.  He had me eating too many carbs (for my body) like rice and sweet potatoes.  I and to eat 5 times a day which was too much for me, but I did it.  After the 4 months, my blood work was worse than when I had started-- I'm sure it was the rice.  I'm insulin resistant and my body couldn't handle it. 

Fast forward to W30... I'm not giving up, I'm going to change up the next 30 days.

1. Encorporate the workout routine from Will- it encorporates weights.  And exercise everyday. 

2. Eliminate sweet potatoes, nuts, butter, and bananas from my diet

3. Keep taking my supplements, especially vit D to ward off depression. (I would love for W30 to eliminate the need for supplements, but at this time, I am not willing to go backwards even a little bit in the strides I've made in the past 2 years. 

This year, I've lost 20 lbs.  still have 30 to lose to have a "normal" BMI.  Not taking BMI into account I'd personally be very happy losing 20 lbs and calling it good. :) It's really about my blood numbers and not a set weight with me.  But Drs and insurance companies want the number.  If my blood numbers were good, I'd not care about the number on the scale, but they do seem interrelated. Unfortunately.  

• Day 33 not W30 compliant

B-2 egg omelette with veggies, 3 pieces of bacon
    L- Shepard's pie
    S- potato chips- not worth it, but at June's house for dinner
    D- grilled chicken with tomato sauce, broccoli, peppers, onions and mushrooms
    S- 2 pork ribs

Prepped food to go out of town tomorrow.  Back on W30 round 2 tomorrow.

Whole 30 # 2

Day 1 
8/15
B- egg salad
L- egg salad and chicken with sautéed veggies in tomato sauce
D- steak, 4 bites of sweet potato, mushrooms, green beans

Drove 400 miles today- packed food to eat along the way, but I know I didn't have enough veggies, but I drank a bunch of water. 

I had to weigh at the Drs today- I'm not letting the # get to me. It is what is is for the meantime.  It's going to change. Oddly, I have not had any desire to step on the scale.  

Dreading the drive home Wednesday after working all day.

Day 2 8/16 

elliptical 25 minutes! 

B- ate 2 hard boiled eggs, remaining steak from dinner last night.  Tossed out the sweet potato---- I committed to not eating them for 30 days, day 1 I had 4 bites, today, I'm trashing the remainder. Guacamole and sautéed mushrooms. 

I will be on the tradeshow floor all day surrounded by terrible junk.  Candy, chips, ice cream, fried chicken, deli meat, processed soup... You name it, it will be there and I can guarantee there will not be 1 pure food item among the lot.  My plan is to go to a nearby restaurant to get food for lunch.  

Whole 30 give me the strength to get through today with no issues. 

In addition to my Breakfast noted above:

L apple, salad with avocado oil and balsamic-- I know this is not adequate, but there was noting else that i could eat and stay W30.
D salmon, green beans, Brussels sprouts, peppers, onions, garlic cooked in olive oil.  Salad with olive oil and vinegar - very good meal at Bill's in Owensboro, KY.  The chef made this special for me when I explained to the waitress what I can eat.  

The show was very slow, the building very cold, and it was boring.  Not to mention tempting.  Within my vision: Sara Lee cakes, rice, biscoff spread, Fruity pebbles, ham, sausage, tons of potato chips, toffee, fried chicken, Blue Bunny ice cream. Jerky, and that's just what I remember.  I did not cave in.  And the smell of fried chicken was gross.  

I stopped at Kroger on my way back to my hotel and bought lunch for tomorrow. Olives stuffed with garlic, pepperoni, guacamole, and cut up cauliflower.  That should hold me over. 

Day 3
8/17

Tradeshow
B 3 hard boiled eggs, olives
L guacamole, pepperoni, olives, cauliflower, apple
D fajitas, guacamole, lettuce, peppers onions and small amt of tomato

I took a break at the top of each hour and walked.  Another boring day surrounded by every temptation known to man, but I did not eat anything.  I didn't have desire to eat anything that was there.

It was a long day-14 hours- including the drive home.  So glad to be home. 

Day 5
8/19
Walked dogs
Yoga
B-3 eggs, tomatoes, spinach, avocado
L- 5 slices of pepperoni, hamburger w/guacamole, spinach salad, avocado, avocado oil, balsamic, 1/3 apple
D-meatloaf, buffalo turkey bake, roasted veggies w/avocado oil.
Walked dogs over 10,000 steps today

Day 6
8/20
Yoga-great practice 
Drove dad to the airport, shopped for groceries at Harry's, & Costco. 
B-eggs, 1.3 bacon, roasted veg, avocado oil. Coffee with coconut cream. 
L- ahi tuna on salad- avocado, mango, avocado oil, and balsamic vinegar. This was not enough food.  I was hungry 2 hours later.
D-cabbage/sausage stew add nutritional yeast also with added meatloaf, 1 large tomato and 1 large green pepper with green olives, avocado oil and balsamic. 
2 fresh figs 

Cleaned out the fridge, butlers pantry and spice cabinets & draw. 

Day 7
8/21
Canned tomatoes, dehydrated figs, made fig jam, went to the pool, took a nap pool side, made baba ganoush, & roasted veggies.  It's been a productive, yet relaxing day.

1 Coffee w/coconut cream
My eating schedule was a bit off today.  
B-eggs with spinach, green peppers, tomatoes, onion, 2 hotdogs,& saurkraut. 2 figs
1 Apple
L/D-jicama with guacamole, enchilada bake, roasted veggies, tomato, pepper, avocado salad with avocado oil and balsamic. 

Have to travel tomorrow.  

Day 8

8/22

walked the dogs

B-3 eggs, 1.5 slices bacon, 1/2 avocado, sautéed spinach, mushrooms and onions AND roasted veggies. I loved my brekkie!

Flying to Cincinnati... Flight delayed...UGH

walked in the terminal  

L-mexican bowl. Chicken, lettuce, pico, sautéed peppers & onions guacamole.  This was a very lite meal- too lite. But it cost $11 and was not about to spend more money. 

D- strip steak with sautéed mushrooms, steamed veggies, side salad, oil and vinegar. Not enough veggies. 

Going to bed early. I have a long day tomorrow. 

Day 9
8/23

Tradeshow-
B- 2 eggs, sautéed veggies, requested olive oil., 2 sausage links, 2 bacon slices
L- salad with salmon, vinegar and olive oil. 
S-1  banana, 1 pear 
D- Outback Steakhouse burger with sautéed mushrooms and onions, tomato, onion, lettuce and pickle slices.  Steamed Broccoli.

i walked throughout the day and ended up with 10,000 steps.  Yay me!

Day 10
8/24

Green tea-it's not so bad even without a sweetener.  I could drink this daily. 
B-yummy breakfast of: cauliflower rice, sautéed in bacon fat, 1/2 green pepper chopped, 2 cloves garlic chopped, 2 slices bacon chopped.  Add meatloaf and a squirt of lime.  Sublime! 
Walked the dogs- got in 5000 steps.

L-3 hotdogs, sauerkraut, 6 olives, 1/2 avocado, baba guanoush with jicama sticks.

Making Golden Cauliflower soup.  It smells good.  I could see this being the base for a seafood chowder. Really yummy stuff!  Glad I made 1.5 batches.  Wow, what a great recipe http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

D- eating at Houston's, meeting Jeanne & Norm.  Norm and I split a mahi salad, and we each ordered rotisserie chicken with broccoli and olive oil. It was a delicious meal with very good company!

At the end of this W30 I will be in California for 10 or so days.  Which is making me thing about how I will eat after this W30.

From my last W30 I learned that Alcohol gives me a reaction, so that's not going to be a priority or every day indulgence for me.  But, if I feel like a glass of wine will be worth the crappy way I feel, I will have one.  I also do not plan on omitting dijon mustard from my life because it has a speck of wine in it.  I love dijon and unless I find a brand with no wine, I'm going to have dijon.  

I don't typically eat grains or legumes.  pre W30, I had slipped into eating Mary's Gone Crackers and Luke's crackers- both have quinoa and brown rice flour. I had gotten a little too reliant on them to satisfy crunch and a conduit for guacamole, and cheese.  I will not be going back to them.  my love affair is now over.  

Sweeteners are slowly killing me, so they are not welcome in my diet, although I am super on the fence about Stevia.  Dairy/casein is a known irritant for me, so that's not coming back into my life.  Looks like I'll be WholeLife instead of Whole30 going forward.  

I do find journaling my W30 to be enlightening, freeing and a superb record keeper.  

I'm still waking up in the morning with some knuckle stiffness and pain, but it is nothing like it was 45 days ago.  I have not been woken up in the night with knuckle pain in days, so that is a huge W30 WIN!  I've been taking Vitamin D which not only is a mood boosting vitamin, it also alleviates symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis.   I still consider the decrease in pain a W30 outcome. 

Husband started W30 yesterday. He has a raging headache today. Poor baby. I wish he could stay home and rest his aching head. 

He'a doing great with it so far. This is really not that far off from Paleo. But... He had let his sugar dragon loose and that's never a good thing. 

Day 11
8/25

I started working immediately after waking up.  I had a project to complete before a call.  Therefore, no walk for me or the dogs.

Mug of green tea.

B- 3 eggs, 2 bacon, 1/2 avocado, bowl of golden cauliflower soup-scrumptious! 
L-cauliflower rice sautéed with fresh garlic, green pepper, & meatloaf
D- sautéed yellow squash, baby Bellas, fresh garlic, onion with sausage meatballs and tomato sauce.  SO YUMMY! I sort of stole this concept from Jäger, but made it my own.  

To bed early tonight so I can wake up early and go to my DR appt and then for a massage. I will miss yoga tomorrow...but it's pay day.  So, horray for getting paid! 

Salmon cakes for tomorrow's dinner are prepped and in the fridge.  My pressure cooker is making a huge pot of bone broth...all is good.  

Day 12
8/26

B- cauliflower soup, meatloaf, 2 eggs
L-chicken fajitas, onions and peppers, salas and guacamole
D-2 salmon cakes (I love you) over shredded Brussels sprouts sautéed in bacon fat, garlic and onion. Dab of Tartar sauce on each cake.

Dr appt was not as good as I had been hoping for or working towards.  My cortisol levels are higher now than 4 months ago. It's complicated, but she feels that is one reason I may not be losing weight.  Obviously, eliminating daily coffee didn't help.  

I showed my DR what I ate for 30 days on W30 and nicely, she told me I maybe eating too much and to watch portion size.  Specifically she pointed out a serving of avocado is 1/8 of an avocado.  She is a functional DR and very much up on elimination diets and she has heard of W30.

I'm not giving up.  I'm discouraged, but tomorrow is another day, and thankfully it's a Saturday!  8 am Yoga here I come!

23 hours ago, GrayFal said:

Thanks for sharing your journey. I enjoy reading others food journal to get ideas. 

So, how do you make your meatloaf without bread/bread crumbs???

Hi! I've been making this same recipe for at least 2 years.  The flavor is very savory and we always have leftovers.

It calls for cabbage, but I sometimes use mushrooms or carrots instead.  It all depends on what I have on hand. I also sprinkle the top with a barbeque rub I make and omit the BBQ sauce called for.  And one last change, I don't add the almond meal- it's unnecessary, in my opinion. 

http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-29/paleo-meat-loaf/

if you try it, let me know how you like it. 

10 minutes ago, MrsZimm13 said:

Hi! I've been making this same recipe for at least 2 years.  The flavor is very savory and we always have leftovers.

It calls for cabbage, but I sometimes use mushrooms or carrots instead.  It all depends on what I have on hand. I also sprinkle the top with a barbeque rub I make and omit the BBQ sauce called for.  And one last change, I don't add the almond meal- it's unnecessary, in my opinion. 

http://www.paleoplan.com/2009/12-29/paleo-meat-loaf/

if you try it, let me know how you like it. 

Thanks. I have pinned it so will try it after Labor Day. I like the idea of cabbage.  Different!  I will probably buy the Cole slaw mix at the store and add it in.  Agree about the BBQ A sauce. Unnecessary. 

Going to try this other recipe you posted tomorrow. http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/

And about your MD appt; try not to be discouraged, her suggestion of portion control is not a bad thing. Up your protein and green leafy veggies. 

"Start with the serving size and servings per package. A serving of avocado is based on 1/5 of a medium avocado or 1 oz.; there are five servings in a medium avocado. As sizes of Hass avocados and other avocadovarieties can vary, consider the 30 g/1 oz. serving for easier calculations"

https://www.avocadocentral.com/nutrition/avocado-nutrition-health-facts-label

so having a half isn't really so "bad" especially in the context of this food program. 

Good night!

Archived