Butter Problems (Dairy issue)

PicklePacking

So I've been looking at The Whole 30, I first saw a friend commit to it, and there are a variety of reasons it interests me. One of them is the wide variety of meal plans that people have made complete with dummy guides for people like me who just need someone to tell them what to do. The other thing is that it avoids soy, in all forms- which most meal plans that I find for families include foods that our family cant have. Let me explain: 

When my youngest was 10 months old we tried to introduce a 50/50 mix Goats and Coconut milk to my son like we did my oldest, he didn't take to it so we tried cow's. Well, turns out my youngest (E) is allergic to cows milk. Like even traces of real milk in baked items causes his cheeks/anus to peel and scab. We have yet to make it off the first rung of the milk ladder, He's been dairy free for 1.5 years. I know I'm intolerant- if I drink straight milk I get super sick and get the same other GI symptoms and have since I was a babe- I can do butter and products with milk in them cooked- but straight up milk kills my insides. What has interested me in the Whole 30, is the fact my son has a soy allergy. And we are talking he cant even do shared lines/carry an epi pen type allergy. Whole 30 looks pretty anti soy (well not anti soy, but consistently soy free) 

The problem: My son cant have butter, and our kitchen is a "soy safe" kitchen. We only buy milk for my oldest who transitioned to cows milk when he turned 2.5 (he has no issues whatsoever) but everything in our kitchen is free of soy, and soy derivatives, and all milk products (we are talking I have to call manufactures about Xanthum gum! that is how soy free we must be to keep E safe) 

This is the butter we use: http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/soy-free-buttery-spread/
Natural Oil Blend (Palm Fruit, Canola, Safflower, Flax, And Olive Oils), Filtered Water, Contains Less Than 2% of Pure Salt, Natural Flavor (Plant Derived from Corn, No Msg, No Alcohol, No Gluten), Pea Protein, Sunflower Lecithin, Lactic Acid (Non-Dairy), And Naturally Extracted Annatto For Color.

I dont want to spend the money on the book to try a program where because we cook as a family for the whole family we will fail (E is a food snatcher so ALL our foods have to be safe for E) We literally have trained E to only drink out of his "safe sippy" because we have to. I cant figure out what people with severe dairy intolerance's do for butter. Would this be safe? I dont think I could go back to making two meals- that almost drove me insane, you know- the kid hanging off your leg screaming for food while you cook two separate meals? No. Just no. 

I want to buy the books, I want to do the programs (not just because of the soy thing, but I also like the testimonies about kids, I'm 99.9% sure my son and I have ADD/ADHD and would love to see if this works for him and I) but I'm pretty frugal and dont want to waste 30-40 bucks to buy two books, try to carve time out to read them between my psychotic kids, for us to fail because of butter.

So anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?  

• Administrators

Sorry, what exactly is your question? If the question is whether or not you can use whatever butter sub you copied above, the answer is no, it contains pea protein (legume), corn (grain) and canola (only approved when eating out).

If you're wondering what to cook with for fats, try tallow/lard, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil etc.  I assume given the dairy allergy, that ghee would be out as you cannot be guaranteed that the milk solids are removed.  There is nothing in the Whole30 though that requires a butter replacement/sub.

If I've missed the point, let me know specifically what it is you're wondering about.

Sorry, what exactly is your question? If the question is whether or not you can use whatever butter sub you copied above, the answer is no, it contains pea protein (legume), corn (grain) and canola (only approved when eating out).

If you're wondering what to cook with for fats, try tallow/lard, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil etc.  I assume given the dairy allergy, that ghee would be out as you cannot be guaranteed that the milk solids are removed.  There is nothing in the Whole30 though that requires a butter replacement/sub.

If I've missed the point, let me know specifically what it is you're wondering about.

Ghee is out- I guess the short of my question is what would I use for a sub for the special butter/ghee requirement because what I posted above, is literally all my son can use. I understand that the only "butter" you get is the ghee/refined butter thing which would be fine for 3/4 of the family- but not the tiniest member (who I'm kinda gonna be using to try and pitch this whole thing to my husband lol) 

I mean that is the #1 thing that is holding me back from this whole thing right at the moment :/

• Administrators

Ghee is out- I guess the short of my question is what would I use for a sub for the special butter/ghee requirement because what I posted above, is literally all my son can use. I understand that the only "butter" you get is the ghee/refined butter thing which would be fine for 3/4 of the family- but not the tiniest member (who I'm kinda gonna be using to try and pitch this whole thing to my husband lol) 

I mean that is the #1 thing that is holding me back from this whole thing right at the moment :/

OK, so ya, ghee is totally out.  There is no special butter or ghee requirement on Whole30. Simply don't use it. Cook with the other fats I listed above. Add fats like avocado/guac, homemade mayo, olives to your meals. Drizzle oils, make sauces.  Simply do not make or eat things that require a butter substitute.  Easy peasy!  :)

(PS. I have not cooked with butter or used ghee or sought out a butter replacement for my cooking/eating in 3 years.  Probably longer.)

my advice is to 'kiss the frog', 'bite the bullet' and just do it already.

yes $30/$40 is expensive, if you don't have much money, but the positives that come out of this, if done properly, are worth far more than monetary values.

If you really are strapped for cash then you'll need to get really inventive as buying loads of organic veg and high quality proteins can seem much more expensive than buying the 'basics' range at the supermarket.  but then your families health and happines should be worth more than other things that you spend money on, so you'll have to make harsh decisions on what you consider worth spending money on.

good luck though - it sounds like you'll do fine.  You're already a long way on the road with your current food choices, so should be a breeze!

If you really are strapped for cash then you'll need to get really inventive as buying loads of organic veg and high quality proteins can seem much more expensive than buying the 'basics' range at the supermarket. !

This is a myth that floats around and it is misinformation.

There is no requirement to buy all organic or the highest quality protein. It is completely ok and doable to do this program with the ingredients you can afford.

Many people also do the program without buying the books (I did my first round without it). There is a TON of info on the website and in this forum if you are a diligent researcher, you will be fine. Yes I got a lot from the book, but you can still start the program and wait to purchase the book when you can afford it.

Being on a budget, I can attest that Whole30 is affordable and doable, I just do the absolute best I can with what I can afford.

Edited to add: you could also borrow the books from the library if that's an option for you. Free! Problem solved! Good luck!

Archived