allowable foods

• Administrators

For fat sources, you can use more than one. So salad with dressing and olives or dressing and olives and avocado or dressing and avocado. All excellent choices. :)

Occasional fruit means up to 1-2 fist sized servings per day with meals, not alone or as snacks.  There is no minimum fruit requirement on Whole30 so if you don't want to eat any, you don't have to.

• Administrators

A fruit smoothie should be out of the question at all times. From the "Can I Have" guide:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

If you are having troubles with sleep, check in with your sleep hygiene/habits. Eating sugar right before bed is not going to help with anything, sorry!  Here are two articles that have excellent suggestions in them on how to improve your sleep.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/
http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

a guess a fruit smoothie is out of the question at bed time....I have sleep issues and eating before bed helps!

I've taken up having a cup of tea before bed to help me wind down and sleep. I've linked my personal favorite - which is commonly found across the US, in my experience - below. Also, try limiting screen usage for at least 30 minutes before you want to be trying to sleep. I thought that was totally bogus, all in your head, whatever... until I tried it. I go straight to sleep without delay and sleep better through the night. My sleep cycles look like they came out of a textbook.

http://www.republicoftea.com/ginger-peach-decaf-green-tea-bags/p/v01048/

Gotta say that my mom has been paleo/whole30 compliant for almost a year and a half and continues to say that a small snack before bed helps her sleep. She has autoimmune and neurological issues... I don't know if that makes a difference. I agree a fruit smoothie is NOT the answer but maybe a balanced half-snack - like 1 oz of meat, a tiny amount of yam or cooked carrot and a slice of avocado? Or eat a bigger dinner?

The screen usage thing is also really true!!

If you want the best form of a snack, a mini-meal with template ratios will give you the best balance.

The template keeps your blood sugar more even, which is often one of the issues with people who can't sleep through the night.

Getting enough fat is important too, to make sure you're not running low on energy while you sleep.

Anyone with trouble sleeping through should also try some magnesium before bed, this is crucial for a lot of people.

Rituals before bed are also important, they help your body get ready for sleep (in the old days, sunset did this). No backlit screens, avoiding harsh lighting, nothing that boosts adrenaline. Cups of tea are a good one, so are baths, reading (no backlights) or spending quality time with friends/family/pets.

Archived