Day 4. I haven't yet killed all the things. But I'm contemplating!

Just need a little atta boy. 30 days sure feels like a long time!!!!!!! I know this mindset is going to make me crazy, so I need to stop that.

I actually feel amazing! I got through the first 3 days without the headaches and general malaise I read about. My biggest problem: FORTHELOVEOFGOD I want a Dr. Pepper. (Forget that I haven't had one since high school, and I'm 44 years old now.) Also, COOKIES.

It just feels like a long time. I'm trying to keep reminding myself of how good I'm feeling, how much better my clothes are already fitting.

Oh, and ... is there a Whole30 compliant Sauvignon Blanc??  :rolleyes:  (Just kidding, I know the answer.)

Did I mention that I think this is going to be a long haul???

UGHHHHHHHHHH

• Administrators

Maybe try reframing this.  Instead of "I have to avoid xyz for 30 whole interminable days!" you could tell yourself "I get to eat fresh, whole, colorful foods that are nutrient dense for the next few weeks!".  I get to prioritize my health. I get to eat delicious foods. I get to try new things. I get to learn to listen to my body. I get to put cravings back under control.  :)

In reality, if you are not eating enough or not composing your meals correctly, cravings are going to be a b*tch. Make sure your meals match the template linked below, make sure you are drinking enough water (1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight), make sure you are salting your food, make sure you are giving yourself pre and post workout food and most important, make sure you are kind to yourself. If this is a huge departure from your norm, there's going to be an adjustment period.

I changed the way I thought about the length of time to think of it as a percentage of all of my days on this earth. For me 30 days came down to less than half of a percent of all the days I've lived and I told myself I could dedicate a half of a percent of my life to nourishing my body. For you, if you're 44, it comes down to a tenth of one percent of your whole life so far. I don't know if that'll help your mindset, but it sure helped me! 

I also break down my thinking of how many days I have left by my meal planning. I can plan meals for four days at a time, so I just tell myself I've got to get through these four and then I have a fresh new four to start with and try different recipes. 

The cravings get worse before they get better. :) Eventually, they will sound laughably crazy. First 15 days were hard, second 15 days were much easier. Focus on hitting the halfway point, and as long as you've spent the first few weeks building the right habits, the last half will be much easier.

The cravings get worse before they get better. :) Eventually, they will sound laughably crazy. First 15 days were hard, second 15 days were much easier. Focus on hitting the halfway point, and as long as you've spent the first few weeks building the right habits, the last half will be much easier.

I'm on day 2...and scared! Staggolee41, you mention building the right habits. Could you tell me the top 5? I've been reading this website avidly, but I want to make sure I really "get it".

Some days I really want a Dr Pepper and then I remember I don't like diet sodas and my pancreas doesn't like sugar, so I sip on my LaCroix and I'm satisfied because I just want the bubbles. And if I want caffeine, I remember that I'm breastfeeding and don't want to mess with his little body by drinking too much so I get by with lower caffeine drinks.

As far as cookies, after not eating them for a while, I find they are all too sweet. If I'm not on w30, sometimes I'll grab a small bite of super dark, low sugar, chocolate and savor it, especially with a cup of coffee.

But reframing your mindset and language helps immensely. Instead of saying "I can't have that..." I choose to say "if I eat that cake (or cookie or whatever), I'm gonna feel like poop and then I won't have fun or be fun, so I choose to eat the veggies instead so I can enjoy the people I am with" since most of the time those circumstances arise is around people.

I'm on day 2...and scared! Staggolee41, you mention building the right habits. Could you tell me the top 5? I've been reading this website avidly, but I want to make sure I really "get it".

Hi Noelle! Don't be scared... you'll be fine. :) I'll link my post-mortem below, but I'd say the things you absolutely must do to succeed are:

1. Specify a day and time for meal planning and prep; I work M-F, so my planning and prep day is Sunday.
  2. Read. EVERY. Label. If you're not sure if something is compliant, Google it. ex: "XX ingredient Whole30" 
  3. Follow the meal templatehttp://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
  4. Drink enough water (1/2oz per lb of body weight). Get enough sleep (7-8 hours/night).
  5. Do NOT give in to cravings in any way. For example... let's say you get a craving for cake. You know you can't have cake, and you don't want to break your Whole30, so... you have some strawberries instead. Mission accomplished, right? WRONG. You fed a sugar craving with natural (technically compliant) sugar, and your sugar dragon got stronger. Ideally, if you get a craving for sugar, you stand up for yourself by ignoring it or doing something else, like taking a walk. Investigate why you have that craving - are you actually hungry? Are you looking for an energy boost? Are you anxious? Break the habit!

Here's a link to my post-mortem. I talk a lot about my personal struggles, but also about the things I wish I would have done better, little protips, and my NSVs.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37944-first-whole30-down/

Best of luck! Please let me know if I can help you!

This is my first Whole30, but I do know a little about strict dietary changes. About nine years ago I did Michale Thurmans 6 week body makeover, and it was even more restrictive than this.. no salt at all, had to eat every 2 hours a specific amount of food.. yeah.. talk about turning food into an obsession. One thing I did learn from that program is to focus on what I like.. and eat THAT not what I don't like.

My suggestion? Focus on the taste you like. Savor it while you eat it. Make small batches as opposed to big ones so that if you do not like it you can toss it and make something else. On that line.. always ALWAYS have a backup plan. Backup plans can make or break you. This morning tried Melissa's Hash p228 and strongly disliked it.. so backup plan eggs with olive oil and salsa kicked in.. fresh fruit to follow in a bit when I feel less full.

I know you can do this, because you took the first step by getting on the program and you have already gotten through the first few days of it!

/hugs and stay strong!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies, encouragement and advice! UPDATE: I'm on Day 22 and doing much better!

@dkmwf9, I totally agree: once I got past the above-mentioned rough patch, the last 3 weeks really have gone by in a blink. And I'm already in shock that day 30 is coming in just over a week!

I still want to eat something sweet, and probably will next week, but am planning something that is lightly sweetened with honey or maple syrup.

Archived