1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay everyone so here's my food for the next couple of days, I've done a few whole30s so thought it might help newbies with ideas.

Breakfasts - paleo muffins (Google for ideas) basically a bacon/prosciutto lined muffin cups filled with omelet mixture (I use mushrooms, wilted spinach, toms) and cooked until set - this last a few days and are also good for snacks and 'on the go'

Lunch - I've fried skin-chicken thighs in some seasoning until crispy and then sliced them up. Having them with either salad or green veggies and cauliflower hummus (roast cauli florets, blend and add tahini, garlic, lemon, salt to taste).

Dinner - prawn salad tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday I'm making turkey meatballs and courgetti. Mix mincemeat with seasoning and an egg, make into meatballs. Fry quickly to seal then put in a casserole dish with a tin of tomatoes, put in oven for 20 mins until cooked. Spiralise, shred or finely slice courgettes and steam/boil for a few minutes.

I've also made some energy bars for just in case - blend cashews, dates and raspberries together then put on a parchment paper in a baking dish in the fridge to set.

If you want any more info let me know, also of anyone sees anything on my insta just comment and I'll give you a recipe.

I'm going ice skating now - moving everyday!

We can do this! Sarah x

Great to see so many new faces here!

I just finished meal 3, it's on Instagram. Lunch was stir fry, minced beef with veg and lot's of herbs to make it spicy.

Drank all my water today, so on the right track.

Good luck to you all today.

Karin

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Is there a way to easily embed pics from instagram?  I've never used instagram but it seems easier than flickr.  Best I can do is a link :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlZc0EAv6T/

Chicken wings with ghee/Franks, sautéed cabbage (duck fat instead of butter), pan fried potatoes, salad with Tessemae's zesty ranch, coconut cream with roasted strawberries for dessert.  

Meal 2 ended up being somewhat weird for me - had to go to the airport right around when it should have been so I ate some scrambled eggs and sausage before leaving the house, then a couple raw bell peppers and some blueberries and raspberries about an hour later while waiting for my flight...meal 3 will be interesting, not sure if I'll have time during my layover to get a real meal/if I will be able to find anything, so I may end up falling back on Larabars and Bacon Bites - mot exactly ideal, lol

Well meal 3 ended up a bit of a bust, as expected rushing between gates there wasn't time for a sit down meal and none of the grab and go restaurants seem to have anything compliant here in the land of deep dish pizza, even the little boxed salads have cheese already on them. So Larabars, Bacon Bites, pistachios and fruit leather will have to tide me over - at least when I get home I know I have frozen broccoli that I can microwave with some ghee to get some veggies in while I work on cleaning out my kitchen and doing post trip laundry...not going to get much sleep tonight but hopefully that means I'll get over the jetlag sooner because tomorrow I'll be tired enough to go to bed even when my body is saying it's only 6pm, lol.

You can mix some if you want but generally when they talk about "using cooking fat" or whatnot they mean one portion of fat, pick whichever one or ones you want. So you don't need to include ghee, and coconut, and olives, and nuts in every meal, that would be a bit extreme.

Yay for day 1. Breakfast was 2 eggs and 1 bacon, lunch grilled veggies and rosemary chicken breast with a little balsamic, dinner a taco meat stuffed potatoes with complaint salsa and avocado, I'm full. I feel satisfied...however...this is where my challenge is, the evening before bedtime. I eat out of boredom, not real hunger. I am working on identifying am I bored, am I hungry.... trying to break a habit that is just that, a habit I have had for years. For me, checking in at this time really helps with this nasty habit. The forum reminds me of what I am trying to accomplish here!

I grilled a ton of veggies and proteins on Sunday to meal prep. Skewers of onion, zucchuni and peppers and then chicken breast with rosemary and olive oil, a pork loin rubbed with fennel and garlic and I made taco meat which I usually stuff inside red peppers and bake. This helps me a lot as I take my lunch to work, and dinner is prepped for me when I get home.

Thanks for being here, fellow August 1st friends, I appreciate it! I hope your 1st day went well too.

Good morning to all of you on day 2.

For those of you struggling with breakfast (meal1) I found this morning a website with 30 breakfast ideas. Almost everyone of them comes with a website to find even more suggestions. Although be careful, not all websites have only Whole 30 meals.

http://sustainabledish.com/30-whole-30-breakfasts/

My meal 1 was eggs, bacon, avocado and tomatoes

We can do this!

Thanks Kaatje64 for this great link.

http://sustainabledi...-30-breakfasts/

I hope everyone had a successful Day 1.  I'm excited just knowing how good I'm going to feel in a month by doing the Whole30 for August (I did it for the month of January).  I'm especially looking forward to how easy it was to fall asleep at night and then wake up refreshed in the morning.  I've been relying a lot on sleep aids recently and it will be nice to be off those.

I'm glad to be a part of this community since it's so much easier doing it with a group.  

Wishing everyone a successful Day 2!

The fats......do we choose one of those listed or do we do them all??? 

Do whatever you fancy! I generally cook with ghee/coconut oil then add another fat to my meal, like olives, olive oil, or avocado.  Don't scrimp with the fats, it'll stop you feeling hungry until you're next meal.

Ok, this is my 3rd start on Whole30. I managed 16 days in June and the results were amazing! After 7-9 days digestive issues and stomach pain after eating Gone! After 14 days I actually slept 8 hrs ( my norm 4-5 hrs with nighttime raiding kitchen for whatever). I had energy, felt great. Then I let a stressful situation take over . The key then was I hurt my back and couldn't drive for 10 days. So I didn't have access to the junk food-- the other 2 attempts really were not 100% whole30 I allowed cheats.

Now it's Time to Slay The Sugar Dragon! I started whole30 August 1 but woke to my pups barking then wondered into kitchen open can ravioli -- hello processed food-- pasta--and it wasn't until I finished that it hit me! So August 3 is my new begin date. I will clean out the kitchen and I WILL complete Whole30 and feel awesome!!!

I decided by sharing this openly as a way to hold me accountable. I'm female, in my 60s, a sugar addict , worked a job I traveled for months sometimes almost a year living in hotels and eating out. And sat 11 hOur days 6 days a week at computer doing a high stress job. Gained 37#. My hardest time is after 3pm getting worse by 6-7pm.

Like This

Ok, this is my 3rd start on Whole30. I managed 16 days in June and the results were amazing! After 7-9 days digestive issues and stomach pain after eating Gone! After 14 days I actually slept 8 hrs ( my norm 4-5 hrs with nighttime raiding kitchen for whatever). I had energy, felt great. Then I let a stressful situation take over . The key then was I hurt my back and couldn't drive for 10 days. So I didn't have access to the junk food-- the other 2 attempts really were not 100% whole30 I allowed cheats.

Now it's Time to Slay The Sugar Dragon! I started whole30 August 1 but woke to my pups barking then wondered into kitchen open can ravioli -- hello processed food-- pasta--and it wasn't until I finished that it hit me! So August 3 is my new begin date. I will clean out the kitchen and I WILL complete Whole30 and feel awesome!!!

I decided by sharing this openly as a way to hold me accountable. I'm female, in my 60s, a sugar addict , worked a job I traveled for months sometimes almost a year living in hotels and eating out. And sat 11 hOur days 6 days a week at computer doing a high stress job. Gained 37#. My hardest time is after 3pm getting worse by 6-7pm.

Like This

Hey,

I've responded to this post in the other thread you also posted on. Welcome to the group!

Sarah x

I would love to be part of the group, too!

This is my first round with Whole 30 and I am looking for support as I learn to change my habits. Day 1 went really well and I completely identified my need for snacks at 3:00--- I am a teacher so OF COURSE I need a snack to soothe myself. Not true but a habit I need to break. Thankfully I didn't give in but instead found other ways to distract myself. Yay! One success at a time!

As for recipes, since I am new to this, I will have to post after I've tried it. If it's a good one, I'll let you know. On a side note, I will definitely be spying on what you all make. 

Have a great day!

Jessica

Day 1 ended better for me than it started. I didn't realize how much breakfast I didn't eat until 9am hit and I was starving. Was able to drink water until lunch and was properly satisfied with dinner.

Day 2 morning was a much better breakfast with W30 approved chorizo, eggs, and a small fruit salad.

Hope Day 2 is starting well for everyone, too!

would like to join the group as well...I actually started today Aug 2 but close enough right?  I don't see many posts from people who started Aug 2.

trying to lose 15 lbs before a trip to Germany on Sept 21.  that's my motivation!

the hardest part of this experience will be to give up wine.  that's the main culprit in my weight gain.  Oh, also and since I turned 40 it seems like the weight is coming at me like a freight train.  No longer can I just work out to keep up.  

Very excited, I think this program seems very do-able.  in the past I have done the Dukan diet and it worked fine but the amount of protein was overwhelming.  this program seems so much more manageable because you aren't restrcited from fruit and vegetables, and there aren't different "stages" of what you can eat during the 30 days.  It's all the same list, the whole time!  Much easier than worrying about which day was protein day, which was protein/veggie day, when you could start eating fruit, etc, etc. 

Hi all - great to meet you!

I started Whole30 #2 yesterday :) I finished my 1st one in February or this year, and it was AMAZING!! I hope you all have the same experience!

I look forward to hearing about all your successes (and sharing mine) - and the great meal ideas!!

Happy Whole30!!

I too started today, August 2. This is my second Whole30. I completed my first in January and felt amazing but kind of face planted right back into less than healthy habits. The last six weeks have been a whirlwind of junk food and not enough activity. I am really looking forward to getting back into healthy habits and feeling that great energy again.

Congrats to everyone who made it through Day 1 yesterday! I look forward to sharing this month with all of you

Finished day 3 succesfully- started out July 31

If you like fish : try this delicious super-easy to prepare salmon dish (2 p.)

Preperation time : 10 min + 25 min in the oven

Ingredients : 2 salmonfilets - 2 handfulls of cherry tomatoes - 2 handfulls of olives - olive oil - balsamic vinaigre - thyme

Put the tomatoes and olives in an oven-safe skillet. Season with pepper and salt. Add a generous shot of olive oil and balsamic vinaigre (ratio 1:1). About 1/3 of the tomatoes/olives should be submerged. Put aside.

Season the salmonfilets with thyme, pepper and salt. Put into the fridge.

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the tomatoes/olives in the oven for 25 minutes. Add the salmon the last 10 minutes.

Use whatever olives you like. I prefer a mix of black and green olives.

I always make some extra to take to lunch the day after.

Enjoy!

Tomorrow will be a bit of a challenge : eating out. Carefully selected restaurant - must try to resist that glass of wine and dessert. I'll go for a seafood salad. Husband has had instructions to stop me if I try to give in to non-whole30 compliant temptations.

Also : tomorrow is day one of 'kill all the things'.

Just keep on going one day at a time!

Archived